: My car has 121k on it..should I change the trany fluid?

limoguy
11-03-07, 02:08 PM
:bigroll:I would like to change it, she runs good now. Fluid looks good. Im not quite sure if it was ever changed. I doubt it though. What do you think I should do, I dont want to open up a can of worms either. How many filters are in there? Should I change them all? Thanks

clarkz71
11-03-07, 02:30 PM
In a word,.... yes. Use dexron VI fluid. I know you can get it through a dealer
or online. I don't know if any of the other oil companys sell it yet.

There are two screens once you remove the pan that can be cleaned.
There's a drain plug near some wiring near the pan rail that drains the side pan. I belive
it's a 11mm.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/E-bay008.jpg

Submariner409
11-03-07, 04:43 PM
:thumbsup: Sure. Change what you can get out (some will remain unless you do a total overhaul) and switch to DEXRON VI. The latest TSB states that it is compatible with previous fluids.

Don't forget that these are semi-dry sump transmissions, so you will not see any fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. You must check the fluid according to the manual. Measure and replace only what drained.

I did mine 6 weeks ago and am pleased with the overall "feel" of the transmission during normal and looney driving.

creeker
11-04-07, 07:52 PM
:thumbsup: Sure. Change what you can get out (some will remain unless you do a total overhaul) and switch to DEXRON VI. The latest TSB states that it is compatible with previous fluids.

Don't forget that these are semi-dry sump transmissions, so you will not see any fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. You must check the fluid according to the manual. Measure and replace only what drained.

I did mine 6 weeks ago and am pleased with the overall "feel" of the transmission during normal and looney driving.

Do you know how much of the fluid actually came out?,my 97 sts shows a capacity of 15 qts.

Ranger
11-04-07, 08:00 PM
I think I got 12 or 13 qts. out of my '97 without pumping the torque converter.

creeker
11-04-07, 08:06 PM
[quote=Ranger;1276452]I think I got 12 or 13 qts. out of my '97 without pumping the torque converter.[/quo

Thanks again, just wanted to know how much I had to buy.

limoguy
11-04-07, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I will get this done soon. :cool2: