: Bbob Help !!

bob2231
04-29-04, 04:24 PM
First, Mr. B, thanks for the answer on the Bars-leak. Sometimes the brown is all you can find around here.
Anyway, I want to ask your help in dispelling an urban legend. I've tried, but I know you have pretty good credibility and your honest opinion would be appreciated. I'd really like your view on this.
I hear this a lot, in fact I read it here in a post this morning. The old saw about "Friday" cars being so bad.
The people I've talked to tat believe this can't seem to see the total lack of logic in the claim. People see the cars lined up in the plant lots waiting for shipping and assume they were "made" there. It's an assembly plant. Period. Of the thousands of parts, components and assemblies that were installed in any single car, it's absurd to say it was built on any specific day. If your transmission fails and your car was assembled and loaded on a Friday, then obviously the valve body was cast just that morning, right ?
What's your take on this one ?
Thanks,
Bob

JJhomer83
04-29-04, 04:38 PM
i would never buy anything from my company that was made during a saturday o/t that is my 2 cents :D

bob2231
04-29-04, 05:11 PM
i would never buy anything from my company that was made during a saturday o/t that is my 2 cents :D Something to keep in mind Josh, the data entry people work regular hours. M-F more or less 9-5. The lines run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The original myth was about Monday and Friday cars. But Monday dropped out somewhere. Anything completed after office hours Friday and before office hours Monday is a Monday car. That's when it listed as complete in inventory. Everything from 5 on Thursday til 5 on Friday, Plus anything not entered for Any reason throughout the rest of the week is entered on Friday. Once entered in inventory it becomes dealer stock and they start paying on it. It's a book-keeping thing. So, more cars end up entered as complete on Friday and Monday than the rest of the week combined. That's how it got started. The smoking grain of truth that every urban legend needs.

Bob

Ralph
04-29-04, 05:21 PM
I'd like to know if the Japanese auto makers experience this phenomenon, or at least, know about it. After all, they pride themselves on "efficiency."

JJhomer83
04-30-04, 08:52 AM
Bob,
My company remanufactures cell phones. We are open m-sat 6am - 11pm
The phones that are built after 5 and on the weekend are bad, that's why we do the cheap ones then. I am sales so i know all the stupid details

im sure cars are the same way, i can't see why they wouldn't were all human

garck
04-30-04, 12:45 PM
But I think Bob is saying that the parts that make a car aren't all assembled at the same time. If the car roll out of the plant on a friday chances are the motor was done a couple days before and then transmission at some other time. So when the car is made would have very little bearing on the quality of the major assemblies.

bob2231
04-30-04, 03:16 PM
But I think Bob is saying that the parts that make a car aren't all assembled at the same time. If the car roll out of the plant on a friday chances are the motor was done a couple days before and then transmission at some other time. So when the car is made would have very little bearing on the quality of the major assemblies. Exactly garck, thanks.
Bob

JJhomer83
04-30-04, 03:31 PM
Exactly garck, thanks.
Bob

Sorry bob :banghead:

BeelzeBob
04-30-04, 04:31 PM
There are thousands of parts and subassembly in a car that are manufactured over a broad span of time. The engine and transmission and such are NOT manufactured on the day the car is assembled. The idea that a "Friday" or "Monday" car is inferior is just BS from what I see. The various parts of the car are made on any day prior except for the day the car is actually assembled. Any given car starts the build process as much as several days ahead of when it actually starts down the assembly line. Stampings for the body parts, welding, painting, etc. are all done well in advance of the final assembly date. The automation on the assembly line does not know what day it is...LOL....you think a robot that is welding the body or painting the body cares what day it is?? The actual final assembly down the assembly line is not affected by what day it is. The workers on the line have to be there and do the job correctly regardless of what day it is for the line to continue. The error proofing on the assembly line and final testing sequences that are done have no idea what day it is.... I would be perfectly happy to have an engine or car or transmission manufactured on any day of the week.

In fact, having a car assembled on a Friday just about assures you of having all the parts in the car made on any other day than Friday....LOL

I think the whole idea of the "Friday" or "Monday" car is just an oft repeated legend...it seems to make sense...and makes a good story....and maybe had more credibility back in the olden days...but in todays business climate and quality control and manufacturing procedures it is just an urban legend.

This whole idea of a "Friday" car or a "Monday" car is a bit of a slam to the workers in the assembly plant and a shot at their professionalism. The fact that two GM plants were One (Lansing Grand River-CTS and SRX) and Two (Detroit Hamtramck - Deville and STS and Bonneville) on the JD Power quality index for North American Assembly Plants would be hard to understand and explain if they were shipping a bunch of "Friday" and "Monday" cars.