: Problem acc. 20 mn delay on 06' STS

paulz
11-01-07, 09:09 PM
New owner of a STS, I have this question :
owner manual indicates that accessories would turn off 20 mn after I leave my car.
But the 3 cigarette lighters (1 in front ashtray, 1 in back ashtray, and last in center) still work all the time. Is this normal, or I missed something ?
This is important for me because I plug a radar detector in the center one, and a car ionizer in the back one.
Must I plug them off ?

thefred
11-01-07, 09:40 PM
If yours works like the ones in the US, they always stay on (at least I know the one in the center console does). I left my phone cord plugged in (with no phone attached) for 5 days when I was out of town and came back to a dead battery. I leave it plugged in when I know I'm driving it every day and there is no problem. But, if you're going to leave things plugged in that are always on, you may have a problem.

paulz
11-01-07, 09:52 PM
thanks for reply thefred,
this is really strange : even GM consider that a cigarette lighter is NOT an accessory... but the center console plug is NOT a cigar lighter... this is a plug for an accessory...

Curious George
11-03-07, 11:47 PM
In my 2006 Owner's Manual under the heading Accessory Power Outlet(s) on page 3-46 there is a bold-faced warning about leaving accessories plugged-in leading to a dead battery.

(In my US-market STS the "ash trays" are lined with a felt-like material and the "cigar lighters" have plastic caps and are indeed power ports.)

BMBSALES
11-04-07, 08:48 PM
New owner of a STS, I have this question :
owner manual indicates that accessories would turn off 20 mn after I leave my car.
But the 3 cigarette lighters (1 in front ashtray, 1 in back ashtray, and last in center) still work all the time. Is this normal, or I missed something ?
This is important for me because I plug a radar detector in the center one, and a car ionizer in the back one.
Must I plug them off ?

they do stay hot. i install a jumper in the fuseblock so these use a keyed hot.

lbwd
11-04-07, 08:53 PM
You have to unplug everything. The cigarette lighters are always active.
I don't know if there's a mod for changing it. You could wire the radar detector to a spot that's activated with the key turn...

dhemrick
11-04-07, 10:33 PM
I found this out the hard way. I went on vacation for a week and left my STS-V sitting in my garage for a week with the radar detector plugged in. When I came back, the battery was dead. I just always assumed that the lighters went off after a while.

Thank goodness I didn't drive that and leave it at the airport or I would have been stranded.