: Suspension conversion kit for catera?

PEETYZ
11-01-07, 12:15 AM
I was looking at parts for catera at www.oreillyauto.com and found this STRUTMASTERS - Suspension Conversion Kit
Item No: CAD-R4CAT

1 Per Vehicle
REPLACES REAR AIR SUSP SYSTEM W/COIL OVER SHOCKS OR MANUAL AIR SHOCK

Price- call store Anyone know about it? :suspect: By the way the monroe suspension prices are good on there too :thumbsup:

Resilient
11-01-07, 08:13 AM
On of the Sponsor advertizers (on the side bars) at some point specialized in air susp. conversions to standard susp.

Might want to check ..

R-Caddy
11-24-07, 03:03 AM
Just installed 2004 GTO shocks on my 97. Fits perfectly and a big improvement over even leveling suspension. Stiffer, better handling (I can tell- I have 2 Cats) and much more confident. Also, probably easier to come by. Later ;]

elvin315
11-24-07, 02:36 PM
Details please. What brand/model were these shocks or will any shocks for the GTO fit? Did you disable the leveling system and if so how? Do you know if front struts for the GTO will fit our Cateras? Thanks.

Elvin

R-Caddy
11-25-07, 03:52 PM
I had those Strutmasters, but they were crap (didn't even have all the hardware! - had to reuse od bushings, until I ordered new ones from Cadillac) and the people were not willing to replace them (Lifetime Warranty my ass!!!) The ones I got were stock 2004 GTO shocks. I removed the Leveling Suspension light for now, but I think you can disable that little arm next to the rear end and that should work. Or you can get Koni Sport shocks for about $120 a piece for Catera and I heard those work too. P/N 80-2591S, S for sport. I will find out if the front struts and springs work later and wil post it on the forum.
Later,
Aras

tpilews
12-12-07, 12:38 AM
Any update??? I'm looking for a solution to my ride quality and will be doing a complete overhaul of the suspension.

R-Caddy
12-13-07, 05:30 PM
I will try to put in the front struts and springs this weekend. I will let you know. I have read that the struts are supposed to fit, if you change the springs, and there may be some other thing. Oh well, I guess I'll find out soon ;)

PEETYZ
12-15-07, 12:09 PM
r-caddy keep us in the loop im looking to redo my entire suspension system

tpilews
12-30-07, 10:34 PM
Well, I found a donor '04 GTO and took the front struts/springs and rear shocks/springs. I will be putting them in this friday. I will take some pictures during the process. I'll post up when I'm done.

elvin315
12-31-07, 12:38 PM
Well, I found a donor '04 GTO and took the front struts/springs and rear shocks/springs. I will be putting them in this friday. I will take some pictures during the process. I'll post up when I'm done.
Don't forget the '04 GTO front brake calipers and hoses.

Elvin

tpilews
12-31-07, 05:37 PM
Why??? The brakes on the catera are fine. They're the best brakes of any car I've ever driven.

elvin315
12-31-07, 07:41 PM
Why??? The brakes on the catera are fine. They're the best brakes of any car I've ever driven.

Best brakes? No offense but the brakes on the Catera are only adequate. As Cadillac's entry in the Luxury Sport Sedan market it was meant to compete with BMW and Audi.

2001 Catera Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 130 ft.

2001 BMW Series 3 Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 126 ft.

2001 Audi A6 Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 126 ft.

Cadillac shortchanged us in horsepower (200) versus the Omega (210) and limited her top speed to 125 MPH versus Omega's 150 MPH. We can't do much about the HP/Top speed but we can improve the braking. The Catera has single piston sliding caliper brakes in front. Ironically her rear brakes are dual piston. The 2004 GTO has dual piston front caliper that, with the GTO brake hoses, are a direct bolt-on swap. No test results but they must decrease the stopping distance a few feet closer to the class standard. If he already has access to a 2004 GTO then why not grab the brakes too?

Elvin

tpilews
01-01-08, 09:33 PM
I never said they were the best of any car. I said of the cars I'VE DRIVEN. Either way, the brakes work great for me. I'm more interested in how shitty the stock suspension is in these cars. I hate how they made the camber of the rears not adjustable.

I only have access to the suspension.

The Catera is a pig. If the catera was 300lbs lighter, I'm sure it would stop better than the 126 ft. rated for the BMW

2001 Catera - 3815 lbs.
2001 BMW Series 3 - Curb Weight: 3494 lbs.
2001 Audi A6 - Curb Weight: 3836 lbs.

I'm sorry to say, but the Audi should not be in the same class with the Catera.

elvin315
01-01-08, 10:12 PM
I saved this from another rear suspension thread.

Rear Camber Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REAR-TOE-CAMBER-KIT-FOR-THE-REAR-OF-IRS-COMMODORE_W0QQitemZ270190257140QQihZ017QQcategoryZ 102358QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

It's for the Holden Commodore but I've been assured it fits the Omega B/Catera.

Elvin

elvin315
01-28-08, 11:53 AM
Hey Guys,

How did the GTO suspension swaps go?

Elvin

R-Caddy
01-28-08, 06:02 PM
I need to loan a spring compressor to find out how the struts fit. So far, the shocks are great ;) My next project is front struts and springs and then rear springs. I will definitely keep you guys updated.

tpilews
02-05-08, 11:34 PM
Haven't really gotten to it yet. I just moved a week ago and am waiting for my buddy who's an electrician to set up my 240 outlet for the compressor. I'll update with some pictures in a couple weeks.

tpilews
02-05-08, 11:35 PM
Does anyone know if the gto's rear springs will create the factory height or will it be lowered? The gto's springs look smaller, but they may be stiffer. I'd really like to have to avoid getting a camber kit.

PEETYZ
02-06-08, 01:28 PM
Heres what I just did i removed the catera rear air ride shock absorbers and replaced them with the gto rear shock absorbers very easy just like r-caddy but so far I left the catera stock rear springs in and wow the car handles much better (it sits about the same height as before maybe a bit lower) its amazing how much stiffer it is in the rear. Now i will remove air compressor and take out leveling light behind guage cluster. I have not tried the front struts yet but i hear you must have gto stuts and gto springs to do it. Has any one done it yet and is that all that is required to do the swap?

also i can get gto rear springs but does it offer any advantage if my catera springs are in good shape? Car so far handles great. For anyone looking to do the swap you can get a set of used gto absorbers from ls1gto.com for around 40 for the pair id say or spend like 63 and get a new set from www.rockauto.com note all rear shock absorbers are the same from 04-06 my car currently has 05 gto shocks

cateraowner
02-06-08, 02:19 PM
just wondering? how difficult is it to change out the rear shocks, I know mine are leaking and would like to replace them.

PEETYZ
02-06-08, 05:34 PM
very simple step 1 jack up rear of car so rear wheels are off the ground or do one side at a time and remove wheel or wheels 2. get in trunk and take rubber boot cover off and remove top nut note if the whole rod turns hold the base of shock that does not move(closer to top) 3. remove bottom nut where it is connected at bottom 3. pop off the shock and it will come out. 4. install gto shock just how catera shock was you may have to reuse some bushings.5 put wheels back on and your done any questions PM me or R-Caddy we both have done it

JusGoodness
02-07-08, 01:18 AM
Hello, elvin315, peetyz,and R-Caddy
I think the gto shocks might help me with my 97 catera. Please keep posting any updates. A grl needs all the help she can get. My tc light stays on also and the tcs button doesnt work? I will check my fuses in a couple of days after i unbury it from our huge snow storm.
Thanks Guys

R-Caddy
02-08-08, 05:28 PM
No idea about the TC light, maybe a bad switch or smth. The shock swap to me is a 20 minute job now, since I've done it a couple times... :)) Yeah, PM, no problem. But my instructions would be:
1. Leave the car on the ground. Remove the boot from the inside the trunk. Loosen the nut (15 mm I believe) and take it off.
2. Jack up the car. Leave the wheels on. The top of the shock slides out.
3. Support the car and take the bottom bolt out. I think it's 21mm.
4. Install reversing the instructions. Just let the car slowly to the ground, while aiming the top bolt of the shock through the hole.
TA-DAAAHHHHH!!!!! Your Catera has officially been GTO'd :highfive:

PEETYZ
02-08-08, 06:39 PM
that will work as well my way was a two person job any updates for front?

R-Caddy
02-08-08, 10:48 PM
Just picked up coil spring compressors from Advance Auto. Looks like Saturday is going to be a nice day to try to fit those suckers in there ;) And I looked at the rear springs- looks like they're the same shape and fitment. That may come next. I've done a decent amount on work lately: put in new radiator, heater valve, PCV valve hose, brake booster hose. So only now am I getting to the fun stuff :) Yet to put in the larger throttle body and slightly bored out intake manifold. Once again, I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Cheers ;)

PEETYZ
02-14-08, 06:33 PM
the gto and catera both use same part# for strut mount so should mount up good best of luck R-Caddy let us know asap

tpilews
02-14-08, 09:58 PM
It isn't too hard. The hardest part is getting the nut off the top of the shock. You need to get some vise grip pliers to hold it in place. I'd recommend getting a ratcheting wrench for that nut too. I think it's 9/16", someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PEETYZ
02-15-08, 12:26 AM
tpilews Re: Suspension conversion kit for catera?

It isn't too hard. The hardest part is getting the nut off the top of the shock. You need to get some vise grip pliers to hold it in place. I'd recommend getting a ratcheting wrench for that nut too. I think it's 9/16", someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Or you can take off top nut first and if the whole assembly turns with the nut have one person hold the area of shock near the top under where the shock fits up into mounting place(this is the part of shock assembly where the part that moves up and down goes into) grip that area tight you will feel the nut turning against you and that should make only the nut turn and not the whole assembly when you re installl new shock have some one hold same area while other tightens the nut. If i'm confusing anyone hold different parts of shock assembly while other person tighten/loosen top nut and you will know where the right place to hold is because if your holding in the correct place only the nut will turn not whole assemby

R-Caddy
02-16-08, 05:15 PM
the gto and catera both use same part# for strut mount so should mount up good best of luck R-Caddy let us know asap
That's how the whole idea of putting GTO struts came to my mind :yup:
Just worked full six days. Maybe some time today after I get changed and before the sun sets...

R-Caddy
02-17-08, 01:56 AM
Well, I got the struts and the spring out in the front. Ran into one problem- cannot take the nut off the strut assembly to take the mounts and the spring off. I'll try again later. FYI, you don't need a spring compressor to remove the struts- they come out as one piece out with the spring. You will need it when you remove the spring from the strut assembly. That nut holding the strut mount was my enemy. I'll see if I can get a good wrench to take that sucker off. Now, removing the strut assembly is becoming a 20 minute job to me- just like the shocks (which are still much easier...) I'll see what size wrench I need. It's the same size as the bolt on top of the strut that holds it under the hood.
I will keep you guys updated.
Cheers to our progress :cheers:

PEETYZ
02-17-08, 01:42 PM
Hmm good to know i have a buddy with a spring compressor ready keep us updated ive got an 05 goat doner wih rings and struts ready to sell to me Good Work R-Cady keep us informed

cateraowner
03-01-08, 04:51 AM
hey guys, any updates on the front strut conversions?

I just got my rear shocks replace with the monroe gto shocks. it's a lot stiffer and cornering is a lot better (if it a smooth corner)

now that I replace the tie rod ends I notice that the suspension in the front is going, (i guess the loose tie rod end too some of the bumps impact away from the steering wheel) but now I feel every little bump, and bigger ones will jerk my wheel. I assume my struts are going so would like to replace them. \\so I'm hoping the gto struts worked out for you guys, cause I'd like to do the same since it'll be better performance for the same amount of money.\

PEETYZ
03-01-08, 10:15 AM
Im still waitin on r caddy he has had some holdups we will post asap by the way the catera and gto both use monroe sensatracs whats the difference between the gto model and catera model? im not sure most likely very little rockauto.com has best prices around id do that but i have a guy who will sell me his gto springs and struts gently used for a good deal but i can't buy till i know they will work. R-Caddy has some already and is planing to mount when ever he gets the time. stay tunes -Pete

tpilews
03-04-08, 02:57 PM
I am in the process of changing out the rear springs. For those of you that have done the switch, I need some ideas for getting the new springs back in. That is the smallest space, and I can't get the springs compressed enough to get back in. Any ideas???

tpilews
03-04-08, 08:36 PM
Well, I got the rear shocks and springs changed out. The springs were a b*tch to do. I'd recommend having a buddy there to help lower the rearend. I've still got the fronts to do another day. Ride quality is much better. Much more solid.

My left spring had actually rusted a good bit, and snapped in one spot. Must have happened before I got the car.

I'll post some pictures up in a bit.

PEETYZ
03-04-08, 08:36 PM
hmm pm r caddy i left stock catera springs and just replaced catera shocks with gto shocks

tpilews
03-04-08, 08:56 PM
Here are some pictures. Not a whole lot to look at.

Spring in...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P3040326.jpg

Shock in...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P3040325.jpg

Both...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P3040324.jpg

Busted spring...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P3040332.jpg

Close-up busted spring...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P3040331.jpg

R-Caddy
03-04-08, 09:00 PM
I bought a strut spring compressor tool from Advance. Had to shorten it about 1.5" to make it useful. Still haven't had time to mess with my cars... Sorry :(

R-Caddy
04-13-08, 07:38 PM
Hey guys. Finally got a whole weekend off. Called my buddy to see if he can help me with my project. Well, to put it shortly, GTO front suspension WILL NOT work on a Catera. Sorry. I know, a disappointment. At least we tried.
1. The bottom of the strut sits too low and the tires rub.
2. The stabiliser link off the GTO ends lower and does not match the mounting point on the car.
Solutions? I guess....
1. Use 13" wheels and low profile tires... :histeric:
2. Shorten the stabiliser links...? Or bend the stabiliser bar...:hmm:
3. Try replacing the whole spindle, hub and so on. Maybe then the mounting height of the strut would even out. Hey, then the GTO hubs would fit, or could be upgraded to Corvette brakes and all that good stuff.
Well, I guess we'll have to keep looking for alternatives. At least the strut itself fits the strut mount and fits at the hub.
Let me know if you guys come up with something else. Good Luck.
Cheers :cool:

PEETYZ
04-15-08, 10:47 AM
Not a total let down like i previously said catera and GTO both can use monroe sensa tracs they are prolly a similar ride feel. The other option is go with KYB or something

R-Caddy
04-21-08, 05:56 PM
Hey gang,
A guy on GTO forum has suspension off an 06 goat with 14k miles. Even though the struts don't fit, all springs and rear shocks will work. Let me know if anyone's interested. He will let me know the price soon. I am getting my GTO calipers :lildevil:

MyOpel
04-22-08, 12:36 AM
opps

R-Caddy
04-22-08, 05:08 PM
Another suspension set available on GTO forum. Since the struts don't fit, he is willing to split the suspension: $75 for rear shocks and springs + shipping. Or best offer... PM me with questions and offers
Later dudes :burn:

R-Caddy
05-29-08, 06:17 PM
Rear shocks and spring with less than 10k miles available. GTO guy will seel them cheap. Anybody interested? PM if interested, I will get you in contact with him.
Aras

R-Caddy
05-30-08, 06:22 PM
He wants $15 for the shocks plus shipping. Anybody? Anyone? GTO shocks... :hammer:

Rob@Westfield-ET
06-03-08, 11:48 PM
Anyone near Westfield MA that wants performance suspension parts,

I'd like to see for myself just what we can get to work from the GTO on a Catera. We have many options, but before i decide to be a vendor i would like to see exactly what will and will not work for myself.

You will have the option of me putting your car back to stock and a free alignment, or purchasing parts with a steep discount.

speeddemongto
06-06-08, 05:10 AM
I have the rear shocks from my 05 GTO with 3000 miles on them,$60 shipped takes them...I have the rear springs also $40 shipped takes them,and the front springs $60 shipped takes them

R-Caddy
07-19-08, 05:53 PM
There is an 05-06 GTO in the yard. Shocks still in it. Anybody? I think the price will be around $20 for both + shipping. PM if interested

elvin315
04-07-09, 08:43 AM
Updated 04-07-2009

Here are the suspension components (stock calibrations and upgrades) I found for the Catera. Beware, some of this is educated guesswork. Since we know GTO front & rear springs and rear shock absorbers will fit the Catera I'm assuming that aftermarket GTO springs and shocks will fit also. There's no good reason they shouldn't but to be on the safe side I feel I must warn you. Same goes for the BMW front bushings and Commodore rear bushings. Other Catera/Omega B owners have installed the BMW bushings successfully and with good results. I haven't performed these upgrades yet but will when the money appears. I trust the info I've received from other owners but that's me. Follow this link to the original thread.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/137056-aftermarket-suspension-bushings.html

Catera/Omega Suspension Upgrades:

CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS

Front Suspension

Homemade Bearing Tool (Removal/Installation)
Simple homemade tool to pull the bushings out & in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ5FkOoT5QE

Ingalls Engineering Camber Adjusting Bolt: part # IEC-I-81260
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=IEC%2DI%2D81260&FROM=MG
Eccentric bolts to increase camber range for lowered front suspension.

RockAuto (OEM Replacements):
SPICER Control Arm, Rear/Vertical Bushing: Part # 5651329
ACDELCO Control Arm, Rear/Vertical Bushing: Part # 45G9329 {#19187194}
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Meyle Bushings BMW E34/M5 HD Bushings: part # 31121136607MY
http://www.germanautosalvage.com/services4.html
Heavy Duty rubber front horizontal BMW/M5 bushing for Omega/Catera.

Meyle Bushings (Opel Omega)
Front Horizontal Bushing 58.5mm: part # 614 035 0016
Rear Vertical Bushing 48.5mm: part # 614 035 0010
http://www.meyle.com/Home/application.asp?lan=us&images=off&ma=84&de=30713069069&mo=14201777488&ba=14201772640&
Rubber bushings for the Opel Omega/Catera. I have sent emails to Meyle and German Auto Salvage asking whether these bushings are Heavy Duty. No answer yet.

Meyle Control Arms w/bushings & ball joints: part # 616 050 0017(Left) - 616 050 0018(Right)
New wishbones loaded with Meyle rubber bushings & balljoint.
http://www.meyle.com/Home/application.asp?lan=us&images=on&ma=84&de=6220321167&mo=14201777488&ba=14201772640&

NOTE: Meyle makes a large range of replacement parts for the Opel Omega that we can use in our Cateras.
Use their search engine and leave the the last box [select...(not required)].

Korman Autoworks:
BMW M5 (E34) Heavy-Duty Thrust Rod Bushings: part # 3112567
http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/m5m6susp.htm
Heavy Duty BMW/M5 bushing for Catera front/horizontal control arm bushing.

MOOG:
1993 BMW/M5 Thrust Arm Bushing: part # K90137
BMW OE bushing for Catera/Omega front/horizontal bushing.

Bavarian AutoSport:
BMW/M5 Upper Control Arm Bushing: part # : 31 12 2 226 528
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
OE rubber M5 bushing for Catera/Omega front/horizontal bushing.

Bavarian AutoSport: BMW/M5 Upper Control Arm Bushing: part # N81368BAV (polyurethane)
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
"Our exclusive street performance bushings and mounts are made with a more forgiving urethane formula! During spirited driving, polyurethane bushings and mounts provide more responsive handling and maintain better control over suspension geometry than stock bushings. Along with this improvement in handling, though, comes a stiffer ride -- a welcome side-effect on a smooth race track, but much more noticeable on the streets. Our street performance urethane is formulated with a touch of polyester. This new compound is more forgiving than 100% urethane, so itís better for street BMWs."

Powerflex BMW E34/M5: part # PFF5-601 (polyurethane)
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Front+Lower+Tie+Bar+To+Chassis+Bush/288.html
Polyurethane front horizontal BMW/M5 bushing for Omega/Catera.

Rear Suspension

Meyle Bushings (Opel Omega)
Rear Outer Bushing 45mm: part # 614 042 0003
Rear Outer Bushing 43mm: part # 614 042 0004
http://www.meyle.com/Home/application.asp?lan=us&images=off&ma=84&de=30713069069&mo=14201777488&ba=14201772640&
Rubber bushings for the Opel Omega/Catera. I have sent emails to Meyle and German Auto Salvage asking whether these bushings are Heavy Duty. No answer yet.

Whiteline Rear Suspension Bushing: part # KCA384 (polyurethane/eccentric) rear outer position only
http://www.globalperformanceparts.com/fitting_instructions/KCA384.pdf
Provides a camber adjustment range of +/-1.0 degree from base settings for lowered rear suspension (outer position only).

SuperPro Rear Suspension Bushing: part # SPF0877K (polyurethane/eccentric)
http://www.superpro.com.au/download/4381.link
Provides a camber adjustment range of +/-1.0 degree from base settings for lowered rear suspension (outer position only).

Pedders Suspensions - GTO IRS Bushing (polyurethane)
GTO IRS Inner Lower Arm Urethane Bush #EP7023
https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/Default.aspx?ProdCode=EP7023

Pedders Suspensions - Rear Camber Eccentric
GTO Rear Camber Kit #5403
https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au/peddersusa/default.aspx?ProdCode=5403

SPRINGS (Front & Rear)

Intrax Lowering Springs: Part # INT-25-1-001
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=INT%2D25%2D1%2D001&FROM=MG
Lower the car 1.6 inch (40.6mm) front and 1.4 inch (35.5mm) rear.

VOGTLAND Lowering Springs: part # 955120
http://vogtlandsuspension.com/p71/Cadillac-Catera-|-97---01-Lowering-Springs/product_info.html
Lower the car 1.2 inch (30mm) F&R.

Eibach Lowering Springs: part # E-6532-140
http://www.eibach-uk.com/
Lower the car 1.2 inches (30mm) F&R.

BILSTEIN Coil Springs - 007967
Front Right Spring: part # FE1-D403
Front Left Spring: part # FE1-D402
Rear Springs: part # FE1-D020
http://www.carparts-cat.com/webkat.asp?SID=0007478194325632018004

BILSTEIN Coil Springs - 007969
Front Right Spring: part # FE1-D448
Front Left Spring: part # FE1-D404
Rear Springs: part # FE1-D020
http://www.carparts-cat.com/webkat.asp?SID=0007478194325632018004

STRUTS & SHOCK ABSORBERS (incl: MOUNTS, BOOTS, and BUMP STOPS)

Koni Sport Struts & Shocks:
-Sport Strut: part # 8610-1315Sport (insert in OE strut; externally adjustable for rebound)
-Sport Shock: part # 80-2591Sport (non-air, must disable self leveling; rebound adjustment made before installation)
http://store.summitracing.com
Struts & Shocks: Sport ride.

BILSTEIN (Opel/Vauxhall)
-Strut - B4 Gas: part # VNE-4480 (OE Replacement)
-Shock Absorber - B4 Gas: part # BNE-2861 (OE Replacement)
-Strut - B6 SPORT: part # VE3-4425 (Firm)
-Shock Absorber - B6 SPORT: part # B46-2260 (Firm)
-Strut - B8 SPRINT: part # VE3-4426 (Firm/Lowered)
-Shock Absorber - B6 SPORT: part # B46-2258 (Firm/Lowered)
-Boot & Bumpstop: part # ASP-C245 (front)
http://www.carparts-cat.com/webkat.asp?SID=0007478194325913018004

KYB GR2:
-Strut: # 334903
-Strut Mount: part # SM5285
-Shock Mount: part # SM5287
-Strut Boot & Bumpstop: part # SB101
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3755&selected_year=2001
Strut only. OEM ride. No adjustments.

Monroe:
Sensatrac Strut: part # 71503 (Twin-tube low pressure gas unit similiar to OEM)
Max-Air Rear Shocks: part # MA825 (For use with self leveling)
Upper Mount: part # 903932
Front Boot & Bumpstop: part # 63619
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3755&selected_year=2001

ACDELCO Strut: part # 506592 {#09192250} Right / # 506591 {#09192249} Left
http://www.rockauto.com/
Factory Replacement w/o SPORT APPEARANCE PKG (RPO-TV5)

ACDELCO Strut: part # 506594 {#09192292} Right / # 506593 {#09192291} Left
http://www.rockauto.com/
Factory Replacement w/SPORT APPEARANCE PKG (RPO-TV5)

ACDELCO Part # 560227 {#72119084}
ABSORBER,RR SHK w/o SPORT APPEARANCE PKG (RPO-TV5)
http://www.rockauto.com
Factory Replacement - Catera

ACDELCO Part # 560228 {#72119087}
ABSORBER,RR SHK w/SPORT APPEARANCE PKG (RPO-TV5)
http://www.rockauto.com
Factory Replacement - Catera Sport

Gabriel Ultra Strut: part # G56769
http://www.gabriel.com
OE replacement

NOTE: The following rear shock absorbers are for the 2004 Pontiac GTO. Owners who have used them assure me they will fit. Try at your own risk. GTO front struts will not fit. Front & Rear springs will fit.

MONROE SENSATRAC Rear: part # 5786
2004 GTO - OE Replacements

ACDELCO Rear Shock: part # 560595 {#92157266}
Factory Replacements for 2004 Pontiac GTO

Pedders Suspensions - GTO Sport Ryder Springs (front & rear):
GTO SR Front Coil 0 Drop #2142
GTO SR Front Coil -20mm Drop #2151
GTO SR Front Coil -35mm Drop #2275
GTO SR Rear Coil -35mm Drop #2641
GTO SR Rear Coil -20mm Drop #2643
GTO SR Rear Coil 0 Drop #7643
Pedders GTO Sport Ryder Springs. All are 45% to 50% stiffer than stock.
http://www.peddersusa.com

Pedders Suspensions - GTO Rear Shocks:
GTO Touring CG Shock #8081 (street)
GTO GSR Rear Shock #9095 (street/track)
GTO GSR Big Bore Shock #9195 (track)
All Pedders shocks are firmer than stock to varying degrees.
http://www.peddersusa.com

tpilews
04-07-09, 10:06 AM
Honestly, I've got the GTO front springs and rear shocks/springs on my '01 Catera. I wouldn't want to see it lowered anymore than it already is.

elvin315
04-07-09, 12:21 PM
How much do the GTO springs lower the Catera?

R-Caddy
05-18-09, 11:19 PM
FYI, Ingalls 81260 camber bolts do NOT fit the Catera struts. I have put new KYBs and the bolts do not fit the strut holes. I found a set of 12mm bolts, as opposed to 14mm, on Rockauto and they fit fine. They may fit Monroe or other stuff, but not the KYBs I bought. Just thought I would let you guys know.

tpilews
05-19-09, 01:06 AM
How much do the GTO springs lower the Catera?

I'll take a picture for you tomorrow. Sorry I missed your post. I've also got some new struts on the way, so I'll get some before and afters, not that it'll make a difference. The GTO springs, I couldn't really tell any difference ride height in the rear, but the fronts definitely lowered it a little bit, maybe an inch. I'll measure the gap for you too.

CateraMV6
05-19-09, 02:41 AM
I'll take a picture for you tomorrow. Sorry I missed your post. I've also got some new struts on the way, so I'll get some before and afters, not that it'll make a difference. The GTO springs, I couldn't really tell any difference ride height in the rear, but the fronts definitely lowered it a little bit, maybe an inch. I'll measure the gap for you too.

I was wondering the same thing... which springs did you use the 04 or the 05-06 GTO springs?

Also can you snap a few shots...

The Aftermarket springs run around 250$... the GTO ones used can be around 100-150 and a bit softer... so the OEM struts wont take too much beating.. only problem is when you throw 5 people in the car... and ti squats..... ?

tpilews
05-19-09, 02:52 AM
I was wondering the same thing... which springs did you use the 04 or the 05-06 GTO springs?

Also can you snap a few shots...

The Aftermarket springs run around 250$... the GTO ones used can be around 100-150 and a bit softer... so the OEM struts wont take too much beating.. only problem is when you throw 5 people in the car... and ti squats..... ?

Springs came off an "04 GTO. Pics tomorrow morning as long as it has stopped raining. I've got the car outside, because I've got a paint booth set up in the garage painting my tool chest.

CateraMV6
05-19-09, 03:12 AM
Just checked and seems like all GTOs 04 and 05-06 were rated at Curb Weight = 3725lbs... so maybe the springs on all of them are identical...

GM parts also call it 04-06 Springs..

They are as follows from GMpartsdirect.com

FR 92048199 $58.05/spring
RR 92100087 $87.91/spring

Used may be found for way less I assume, maybe the GTO forums will have some left overs from lowering kits...

tpilews
05-19-09, 03:15 AM
Just checked and seems like all GTOs 04 and 05-06 were rated at Curb Weight = 3725lbs... so maybe the springs on all of them are identical...

GM parts also call it 04-06 Springs..

They are as follows from GMpartsdirect.com

FR 92048199 $58.05/spring
RR 92100087 $87.91/spring

Used may be found for way less I assume, maybe the GTO forums will have some left overs from lowering kits...

Yeah, I got mine for something like 80 shipped to my house. That was for all four springs, and shock and struts. Although, the struts won't work on our cars. Oh, got them from ebay too.

CateraMV6
05-19-09, 03:20 AM
Makes me wonder what kind of spring stiffness they have... I assume the ausies just cut the OEM springs.. making them a bit shorter and a bit more stiffer...

The Sport version of the Catera has nearly 30% stiffer suspension, and it appears as if the ride was lowered by 10mm... possibly due to shorter springs.
The GTO ones might be very identical to the sport springs in stiffness but yet a bit shorter...

I am trying to figure out if I should go Aftermarket INTRAX Springs or GTO ones... I guess all that will get decided from your pictures...
I am looking for a lowered but not slammed look, maybe 1" all around.. the rear I can adjust with the self leveling but he front I want it to be a bit lower too..

tpilews
05-19-09, 03:36 AM
Well, I'm not tired, so here are some night shots. I'll get some better pics in the morning.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190317.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190316.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190318.jpg

CateraMV6
05-19-09, 03:17 PM
Well I just measured my gap... I have 245 40/18s on the car... diameter is around 25.5" I think...

Here are the pics to compare...
The car has 123K on the clock so these probably sagg a bit by now...

Yours shows 1.5" with the GTO springs, mine is at 2.0" so thats roughly 0.5" of drop...

~2" OEM Springs
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/MV6%20Suspension/FR2in.jpg
~2"
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/MV6%20Suspension/FL2in.jpg
~1.45"
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/MV6%20Suspension/RR145in.jpg
~1.55"
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/MV6%20Suspension/RL155in.jpg

tpilews
05-19-09, 04:23 PM
Okay, some daytime pictures. I'm at about a 1/2 tank of gas.

rear passenger:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190315.jpg

front passenger:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190316-1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190314.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190317-1.jpg

rear passenger:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190319.jpg

front passenger:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/tpilews/P5190318-1.jpg

CateraMV6
05-19-09, 04:30 PM
Thats not bad at all, I think I like it... cheap springs a little bit less drop then all the other aftermarket ones, that cost a few hundred dollars.... no real issues with negative camber as the ride is still quite close to the OEM...

I think I might try this...

How easy were the rear springs to remove?

tpilews
05-19-09, 07:20 PM
Thats not bad at all, I think I like it... cheap springs a little bit less drop then all the other aftermarket ones, that cost a few hundred dollars.... no real issues with negative camber as the ride is still quite close to the OEM...

I think I might try this...

How easy were the rear springs to remove?

They were a bit of a pain. You definitely need spring compressors. It took me a few hours by myself.

I don't know if you've done any work on the front end, but the fronts were way easier than the rears.

CateraMV6
05-19-09, 11:07 PM
A year or two ago I did full suspension swap on my Neon at my dads shop and it was fairly easy as they have all the tools, lift... etc.

Now for the rear do you just take the shock absorber off... and then tilt the control arm out to get the spring out or is there more involved?

tpilews
05-20-09, 12:39 AM
A year or two ago I did full suspension swap on my Neon at my dads shop and it was fairly easy as they have all the tools, lift... etc.

Now for the rear do you just take the shock absorber off... and then tilt the control arm out to get the spring out or is there more involved?

I just used spring compressors that you rent from auto parts store. It probably isn't the easiest way, but you don't have to mess with the control arm or the rear axle mounts. I did the rears about a year ago, and that was my first suspension work I've ever done, so, take my advice for what it's worth.

Here's what my manual says for the rear spring replacement:

Coil Spring Replacement
Removal Procedure

2. Remove the retainers from the lower control arms.

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/TifToGif?pic=156148

3. Remove the brake pipes from the lower control arms. The brake system will remain closed.

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/TifToGif?pic=205660

4. Remove the stabilizer shaft link bolts.
5. Remove the stabilizer shaft link from the lower control arms.
6. Remove the exhaust system rubber insulators from the hangers. This will allow the exhaust to drop out of the way.
7. Support the exhaust system. DO NOT allow the exhaust system to hang freely or pipe and/or gasket damage may occur.

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/TifToGif?pic=205600

8. Remove the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connections.

Important

Support each lower control arm when removing the shock absorber lower mount bolt to compensate for the pressure on the shock absorber mount from the spring.

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/TifToGif?pic=205698

9. Remove the shock absorber lower mount bolts.
10. Remove the support from the lower control arms.
11. Using a transmission jack support the rear differential.

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/TifToGif?pic=205606

12. Remove the rear axle cradle mounts to the vehicle body bolts.
13. Lower the rear differential until the springs can be removed.

http://127.0.0.1:9001/servlets/TifToGif?pic=205647

14. Remove the rear springs with the spring seats attached.
15. Remove the spring seats from the springs.

R-Caddy
05-20-09, 08:35 PM
I have Intrax on my Cat. The car sits right on top of wheels- there is basically no gap. Dropped the front by 1.6", rear 1.4". I may post some pictures if interested.

CateraMV6
05-20-09, 08:50 PM
I have Intrax on my Cat. The car sits right on top of wheels- there is basically no gap. Dropped the front by 1.6", rear 1.4". I may post some pictures if interested.

Yes please, I am dying to find out more about those springs... it said 1.6/1.4 measured from when vehicle was new... meaning no spring sag..

SOme said that it will be less then that if the car has lets say 100k...

How is the ride on it?

I want to drop it a bit but not to where the wheels are in the fenders...

My driveway has a very steep approach... and its barely clearing it now... much lower then that it will be scraping like crazy..

Please do post some pics...

THanks in advance..

R-Caddy
05-20-09, 09:14 PM
No problem. The ride is different. But I also put new struts in at the same time. It seems kinda jumpy, or bouncy. It responds quickly and settles down right away. Otherwise, it's a whole lotta fun :sneaky:

P.S. I will post something else I did to my car that will make you DIY guys love me for the rest of your Catera ownership :p

CateraMV6
05-20-09, 09:18 PM
Cant wait man! Lets see it!

Matera97
05-20-09, 10:37 PM
Lets see it x2

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 03:31 PM
Well, it has been raining, so sorry if the pictures didn't come out very clear
Let's start with the REAR wheel
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras002.jpg
FRONT wheel
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras003.jpg
Back angle
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras004.jpg
Front angle
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras005.jpg
From the rear next to my stock Catera (HINT: look at the rearview mirrors ;) )
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras006.jpg
From the front next to my stock Catera (HINT: same as above)
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras015.jpg
Since I have only seen only one strut bar on a Catera- the Lingenfelter version- I decided to experiment a little bit myself. I didn't even think that it would make ANY difference, but to my greatest surprise, it did. Even with old factory struts it felt like I had new ones.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras008.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras009.jpg
Aannnddd, I took one step further to even it out and complete the setup
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/suspension/Cateras012.jpg

The rear end was even lower. Probably because I have GTO shocks. I raised it up a little bit with some polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension.

What do you guys think?

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 03:40 PM
Well what can I say, you beat me to it... the front strut brace out of the GTO works as well... didnt know you can install a rear one too?

WOW Congrats!
Good man!
:p

I see you got the same exhaust tip as the one I had on my car back in the day... and the car looks mean like that, I think you can add some rear spacers to widen out the back a bit so it fills up the fender better...

Now the only thing I am afraid is that if I lower it that much it will rub on the fenders... as my wheels/tires have smaller offset then most of the OEM wheels and thus they stick out a bit farther...

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 03:46 PM
Well what can I say, you beat me to it... the front strut brace out of the GTO works as well... didnt know you can install a rear one too?

WOW Congrats!
Good man!
:p
Sir, You are wrong. GTOs do not have a rear strut bar. The one in the rear of my car is the FRONT strut bar off the GTO. The front strut bar came off a 3rd gen Eclipse (2000-up) With some (read: cutting off 2 mounting points, and bending, bending, bending...) modifications it fits. The GTO front strut bar was a pretty easy fit for the rear, with some minor bending and a little bit of cutting.

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 03:48 PM
I bought one of these right out of the website..I think it was 58$ and some change for shipping... and its sititng home waiting for me to get off my but and put it on...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/86666772_b0bd8d8eee_o.jpg

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 03:48 PM
I see you got the same exhaust tip
Nothing past the exhaust valve is stock on my exhaust... :devil:

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 03:50 PM
I bought one of these right out of the website..I think it was 58$ and some change for shipping... and its sititng home waiting for me to get off my but and put it on...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/86666772_b0bd8d8eee_o.jpg
I am sorry to tell you right now, but it will not fit. It is too wide and WAY too tall to close the hood. That's why I got one from Eclipse. At first it even seemed it was going to be a straightforward bolt-on, but it did need some modifications

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 03:52 PM
Nothing past the exhaust valve is stock on my exhaust... :devil:

Oh boy!... alright now where is the sound clip?

You got quite a few surprises up your sleeves!

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 03:57 PM
Any ideas where this goes?
Its called GTO Gas Tank Brace...

http://i20.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/14/e6/8279_1.JPG

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 04:00 PM
Oh boy!... alright now where is the sound clip?

You got quite a few surprises up your sleeves!
Well, it sounds different when you just rev up or drive. I do not have a camera that will record with sound, but maybe I can borrow one from my friend. Right now I am leaking oil through exhaust (most likely past the valve stem seals, which I should have replaced when I replaced the head gaskets), so there's smoke and it may even sound differently. I think I have too much exhaust for this engine, but I will keep it, because it may be perfect for my LS1 project. I should probably do a write-up on the exhaust topic and snap some pictures under the car- if I can get the jack under it to lift it up ! :histeric: Just kidding, I can lift it up. But in order to do an oil change now, I have to use an extra jack on the side of the car so I can put my regular one from the front...
Talking about sleeves, there's still stuff under there... :)

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 04:02 PM
Any ideas where this goes?
Its called GTO Gas Tank Brace...

http://i20.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/14/e6/8279_1.JPG
That's extra suppport for my bottle :cool2:

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 04:05 PM
Well I cant wait to see what else you got to show us...

I nominate you for man of the month... maybe even man of the year...

YOu have been quite a naughty little boy haven't you!? LOL

Its nice to see one of these cars tunned like that, as you can imagine no one else bothers...

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the nomination. Yeah, I know- bad little boy. Actually, we need another term for the kind of boy I have been... I still want the black headlights, then paint and put my GTO wing on, get some wheels. But all that after I get another engine. And yes, it is pretty funny how I can beat a "14 second" Civic Si... Yup, that's what he said- true story. 14-second Civic got beat by a Chevy- that's what he called it... :histeric:

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I know. I still want the black headlights. then paint and put my GTO wing on, get some wheels. But all that after I get another engine. And yes, it is pretty funny how I can beat a "14 second" Civic Si... Yup, that's what he said- true story. 14-second Civic got beat by a Chevy- that's what he called it... :histeric:

Well if I had to guess with all the mods you have done... I would say your car is probably very close to 200RWHP... which is around 230-240 at the flywheel... so I dont see why you wouldn't beat a civic... those things got power for a split second when you hit v-tech at like 8500RPM... and then its back to nothing...

The Catera is known for a diesel like torque curve from about 3000-all the way to redline..

I was able to keep up with a stock Cobalt SS... Supercharged one, the guy was like what do you got int there? I can tell he was mad.. and he has at least 500lbs advantage if not more...

I guess it all comes down to gearing...

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 04:27 PM
Nope, it come down to a bigger engine........................and a 50-shot... :D
Hey, i just found these on my computer from a recent autocross event.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/DSC00796.jpg
Even with new suspension, the car still leans like a m#%&!*@&@er. Those stock size tires don't help either...
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/scca1011.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/scca1012.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/scca1010.jpg

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 04:32 PM
Thats got to be the meanest stance I have ever seen...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/scca1012.jpg

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 04:40 PM
You can see the tires trying to hide
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/DSC00803.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/DSC00805.jpg
Here's another good picture in daylight
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/arasko1/autocross/scca1002.jpg

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 04:53 PM
I have some OEM 17s... if you want to give them a try... .
Smaller sidewall will give you more stability...

You can also get some 18s... and put some super low profile rubber on there...

THis one kid at school had GXP 18" Wheels with a slicks on them...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC01169.jpg
The one on the LEFT...

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 05:00 PM
I was thinking 18" is the way I want to go. For now, I have another set of 16" wheels off a 2000 Catera that I plan putting street slicks or pure slicks on

CateraMV6
05-21-09, 05:13 PM
If you dont care for the look of the wheels put on some super light weight 18s.. you will notice a huge difference...

My car feels like a dog with the OEM 17s... and then my 18s are 15lbs lighter and you can just tell how much better that is..

15lbs of rotating mass feels like 100lbs of body mass...

A while back I bought these wheels from a guy who worked for GM... they were on some sort of racing package for the Pontiac solstice.. 18x8 5x110 ET55 They are forged and weigh 18lbs/pc...

But then I found my current ones and decided to stick with those...
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC07997.jpg

R-Caddy
05-21-09, 11:38 PM
Do you still have them? Are you selling those? It may be something to think about. PM with any info please

CateraMV6
09-06-09, 03:59 PM
Here are some pictures of the GTO front springs on my CATERA SPORT....

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC03586.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC03587.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC03588.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC03593.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC03591.jpg

Cadi Cat
09-08-09, 12:04 AM
I have some OEM 17s... if you want to give them a try... .
Smaller sidewall will give you more stability...

You can also get some 18s... and put some super low profile rubber on there...

THis one kid at school had GXP 18" Wheels with a slicks on them...

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/DSC01169.jpg
The one on the LEFT...

extra oems lying around you say??? what would you want for them?

CateraMV6
09-08-09, 12:39 AM
They are not in the greatest of shape... I think I got around to finishing 3 of the 4 but I still need to get them home and spray them with some OEM paint...

But shoot me a PM and we can talk on the price... I am not looking for profit on them... probably just enough to recover what I paid for them...

bacardi
09-08-09, 09:29 AM
If I wanted to get rid of the rear leveling suspension by buying new stocks on the cheaper side, what should I buy? Rear GTO shocks? I heard someone say O'Reilys has universal shocks; I called my local one and they said it doesn't come up under the catera and they'd need a part number. Are either direct bolt ons or do you need to bushing and stuff off?

R-Caddy
09-09-09, 10:47 PM
They're a direct swap. Just reuse stock bushings. Get the rear GTO shocks

Matera97
10-30-09, 03:59 PM
Alright, so the bushings that come with the GTO shocks are no good? I noticed they seem longer and a little narrower. Any tips before I install this weekend?

Warez
10-30-09, 04:34 PM
They are not in the greatest of shape... I think I got around to finishing 3 of the 4 but I still need to get them home and spray them with some OEM paint...

But shoot me a PM and we can talk on the price... I am not looking for profit on them... probably just enough to recover what I paid for them...

Where did you get the color matching paint for the wheels?

CateraMV6
10-30-09, 08:18 PM
There is an automotive paint supply store by my house and they sell OMNI Paint with my color code for 20$/pint so that makes about 1/2 quart of paint enough for a few coats of paint.

Otherwise you can try a website I think called automotivetouchup.com look it up on google. they sell spray paitn in rattle cans for 15-20$/Can and you can use that for spraying them.

I think a 40-50$ paint system with clear coat and color matched paint is the way to go if you are going to paint your own wheels.

Warez
10-31-09, 06:24 AM
Where did you get the paint code for the wheels?

CateraMV6
10-31-09, 01:02 PM
Here we go this will help.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/169911-sticky-catera-oem-paint-source.html

Warez
11-02-09, 06:16 AM
Those are only codes for the exterior body colors, not the actual silver sport wheels.

CateraMV6
11-02-09, 02:06 PM
I cant help you there, I have no idea what paint they used on those wheels. Try calling someone at Cadillac, they seem to have very cool customer service.

I would think that painting them with the color code of the car is what you would want but perhaps you are after some more exotic paint?

Matera97
11-02-09, 08:33 PM
Okay so I threw the GTO shocks in, I had one set back though, the shank that goes into the wheel well were about 3/4 to 1/2 an inch shorter than the OEMs. Even with the cars weight on it and shock fully compressed did not give me enough threading to get the nut to bite. Even with the used OEM bushings that have already been compressed. I was however able to get the GTO bushings on without using the sleave that came on the OEM shock. Everything is riding very well, no knocks. Just wondering if anyone ran into this issue, how they troubleshot it, and what the ill effects of using the GTO bushings...Anyone?

R-Caddy
11-02-09, 11:13 PM
Nothing bad about using GTO bushings. Even though I do believe I had to mix'n'match some bushings. What I did later was put Energy Suspensions polyurethanse universal bump stop between the shock and the car to eliminate some play. Took out all rubber altogether. Used metal washers on top, from the inside of the trunk. I am yet to find a slightly better way to mount everything, because my shock bar kinda squeeks a little bit.

Matera97
11-03-09, 12:20 AM
Basically, what I noticed about the GTO bushings, on one side it had a small bevil and on the other had a wider bevil. By putting the bottom bushing with the wide end up and the top bushing with the wide end down, eliminated any metal to metal contact. They have only been on for a day now, but I haven't noticed any squeaks or thumps. After putting on a few clicks I'll retighten the nut to remove any additional play. One more thing I would like to ask. Do you guys know an easy way to unplug the aircompressor without going through the bottom?