Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1989 Brougham water leak...

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I fired up my 89 Brougham (w/ olds 307, 5.0) today and noticed a massive water/anti-freeze leak. The leak was coming from the pass. side rear of the engine. I did not get a chance to pressure test the cooling system to pinpoint the leak, but was wondering what in that area can cause loss of coolant? A hose, freeze-plug (which I hope is not the case), etc...

Thanks in advance for the help fellas.

#2 ·
The problem is almost certainly the heater valve located at the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. I replaced mine last summer for $18 from Advanced Auto Parts. Be very, very careful not to bend or distort the vac diaphragm housing during installation, as this will lead to premature failure (don't ask me how I know this). The hex size is 1 1/16". The proper tool is a crow's foot wrench. The next best choice is to get an old open-end wrench, heat it, and bend it to clear. I used a very large adjustable wrench, which is what caused the damage the first time.

#3 ·
The problem is almost certainly the heater valve located at the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. I replaced mine last summer for $18 from Advanced Auto Parts. Be very, very careful not to bend or distort the vac diaphragm housing during installation, as this will lead to premature failure (don't ask me how I know this). The hex size is 1 1/16". The proper tool is a crow's foot wrench. The next best choice is to get an old open-end wrench, heat it, and bend it to clear. I used a very large adjustable wrench, which is what caused the damage the first time.
Thanks for the suggestion joe. I'll look into the valve. Today I pressure tested the system while the car was running, and not a single drop of water! The raditator was full, coolant res. is like 1/4 full. I did see a lot of water sitting on the intake manifold??? Any other ideas???

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.