: I've always been reluctant to switch from Microsoft Internet Explorer... But...

BeelzeBob
04-29-04, 09:36 AM
...recently, things have been really slow around here and I've been trying to figure out why.. I've got a few ideas how to fix the problem - but I'm going to need help..

In the meantime, I decided to download Mozilla Firefox.. I've been seeing the ads everywhere and curiosity got to me.. To my surprise, web pages load much faster. I don't know what it is about IE - but it's very slow compared to Firefox.. I think Microsoft needs to come out with an "Internet Explorer Light" or something - because if there's so much stuff in their browser that it slows things down as much as it does - then it's just not worth it.

Anyway. If you're interested in trying it out yourself, click here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/).

If you try it, come back here and tell us what you think. I'm really curious about how it works for you.. I've switched...

ShadowLvr400
04-29-04, 10:17 AM
I've switched to Netscape a while back. Runs pretty well, and the ability to open several pages in one window is a nice little trick.

Devil_concours
04-29-04, 01:41 PM
firefox is definitely good but i don't know about netscape.

Vesicant
04-29-04, 08:30 PM
...recently, things have been really slow around here and I've been trying to figure out why.. I've got a few ideas how to fix the problem - but I'm going to need help..

In the meantime, I decided to download Mozilla Firefox.. I've been seeing the ads everywhere and curiosity got to me.. To my surprise, web pages load much faster. I don't know what it is about IE - but it's very slow compared to Firefox.. I think Microsoft needs to come out with an "Internet Explorer Light" or something - because if there's so much stuff in their browser that it slows things down as much as it does - then it's just not worth it.

Anyway. If you're interested in trying it out yourself, click here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/).

If you try it, come back here and tell us what you think. I'm really curious about how it works for you.. I've switched...

" Windows® Xp™ " slowed down because of excessive updates (security mods, service packs etc.) and now Internet Explorer has gotten a few security updates and 1 or 2 service packs. Its slowing EVERYTHING down, the thing is though, its not only reccomended but its almost imperative that you do the updates otherwise your screwed security wise. :madtalkin

Speedingpenguin
04-29-04, 08:56 PM
I sometimes use Mozilla because its got built in pop-up blockers and some other neat features. Definatly better than internet explorer in most ways...

Pimpin_Whity
04-29-04, 09:28 PM
Mozilla Firefox is very different from IE. while being faster it's alot more unstable, i never had IE crash on me while Mozilla Firefox very well could. now this is the older versions, i heard that they improved pretty alot. also IE loads every, and i mean every, page u throw at it. plus IE is an integrated part of windows so it has to govern every window and that takes away alot of the speed. it also has better security, u probably know how important that is. but anyways microsoft is the best, no matter what you might think of bill gates :rolleyes2

DaveSmed
04-29-04, 09:44 PM
Acutually, Bill gates is a damn smart businessman. It's Microsoft I don't like. But thats a whole other rant. There's also a reason Firefox crashes with certain pages. It is much touchier with shaky plugins, and poorly coded HTML. Any formatting tags specific to IE also cause headaches.

Playdrv4me
04-30-04, 03:18 AM
The point about IE needing to govern the rest of the windows is pretty spot on. If you run MSIE on a Mac it runs pretty quick, and it seems to be the least obtrusive of all the browsers Ive used on a Mac. I tried the Mozilla thing for a while, but eventually I always end up back at IE.

El Dobro
04-30-04, 10:45 AM
I don't know what's going on yet, but I can only access this site at work. If I try it at home, when this site pops up, it's only for about 10-15 seconds, then it disappears and AOL signs off on me. I'm still trying to figure it out at home.

tru504187211
04-30-04, 11:08 AM
That's what happens when EVERY utility possibly is is seemlessly integrated with the OS. I'm not complaining about it though - I am a MS guy, and reluctant to change. I just like it when the OS is "smart" enough to do operations behind the scenes, including those dealing with IE. Just not do tooooo much. That's about the point when I'll change.

lowscola
04-30-04, 02:38 PM
A quick note is that Mozilla/Netscape uses more memory than IE. And popups are a non issue with the google toolbar for IE.

Pimpin_Whity
04-30-04, 02:47 PM
you also have to remember that everyting is made with Microsoft Windows in mind, all types of plug-ins, coding, etc... so creating a browser that is IE and yet isn't is actually kinda hard. try making another operating system to run all windows apps better and faster while being fundementaly different from windows. windows is actually not the cause of most of your troubles, it's poorly coded apps or apps coded by different companies that use up the same resources at the same time and everyting crashes. if everything was made by microsoft and was properly coded to work simultaneously then you wouldn't have problems. how many 3rd party apps do you have on your computer? that just might be what's slowing you down.

Jesda
05-03-04, 09:53 AM
I freaking love Safari on my Mac, and FireFox on my Athlon. Tabs, popup blockers, I'm all set for forum whoring!

theGman
05-03-04, 08:36 PM
I got so tired of Micosoft that I bought an Apple last Fall; I love it. It definitely doesn't have as much available for it, but, if you are not a full time computer geek, it sure makes life simpler. The only problem I have is that many attachments are sent in Microsoft Word, and I don't have the Apple version, which Microsoft sells for...get this....$399. Thanks, Microsoft.

I often wonder why when I am, say, doing something with downloading/uploading pictures, etc.....the Microsoft asks all these questions, as to which format, which this, etc. Why don't they have an option called "USUAL CHOICE", meaning the way that 90% of the people do it, so guys like me won't have to read a manual in order to complete a simple task?

That's the way luxury cars operate...allowing you to push a button and let IT figure out the best way to accomplish a task. When will Microsoft figure out that "simpler" is better for most applications?

Back in the real old days, early automobilists had to advance their ignition timing with a lever on the steering wheel. Now it's done "simpler". I'm sure some enthusiasts would prefer the old way, but for the masses, probably not.

Pimpin_Whity
05-03-04, 09:49 PM
why dont you "acquire" the apple version :canttalk: :hide:

Jesda
05-04-04, 07:06 AM
You could just download one of the many shareware Word document viewers and editors. AppleWorks also works with Word documents. I just use word, but you'll like this site:

http://www.versiontracker.com/