: The Final Oldsmobile

DopeStar 156
04-29-04, 01:14 AM
The last Oldsmobile rolls off the assembly line today.... It's sad to see a company go after over a hundred years. My dad's first car was a 1967 Dynamic 88 and my uncle had a Cutlass that wasn't much newer. The final Olds will be an Alero, nowhere near an 88 but still sad. I did like the Olds cars but the newer ones weren't really true to the Oldsmobile name in my opinion.

Well here's to you Olds. :drinker

gothicaleigh
04-29-04, 01:46 AM
That is kind of sad.
They seemed to be pulling themselves around design-wise towards the end too.

Ralph
04-29-04, 02:03 AM
I regret never being able to drive the 1971 Olds 442 w-30 my Stepdad bought new! I saw it a couple of times in the 1980's, got pics of it, and the owner still has it in low miles and awsome condition! That had to be one of the greatest Musclecars ever built! (red with white vinly interior, white stripes, black stripes on hood)

Like my Stepdad once said, "Everyone had a cheap Dodge back then, but when you had a W machine, everyone knew it was quality, and something special!" :worship:

tru504187211
04-29-04, 09:20 AM
Even though it was a bit under powered, I loved driving my Grandparents 1981 Delta 88. It needed new shocks so when you turned you scraped the ground. I still get enjoyment driving that boat. I wanted to buy it from them soooo bad.

Stoneage_Caddy
04-29-04, 02:51 PM
i moment of silence for the people who brought us the "quad 4" , "442" "hurst olds" "vista crusier" "rocket"and the baddest ass olds ever , the "Aerotech"

oldsmolbile influences still abound , the Malibu maxx has a few "vista crusier " styleing cues

i belive its also the last "n" body , grand am procduction should be over to retool for g-6 production (which may move to kansas to be built alongside malibu), "N" body was a bread and butter car for gm since the early 80s with the buibk somerset , skylark, olds calis, alero, and pontiac grand am (the best seller)

Elvis
04-29-04, 03:46 PM
My grandfather bought the first Toronado sold in West Tennessee in 1966. He owned something like 17 Oldsmobiles in his lifetime.

When I was growing up we had more Oldsmobiles than any other brand. On my own I bought an '81 Cutlass and an '85 Delta 88. I still love those cars. This is a sad day.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-29-04, 06:26 PM
I'm sad to see Olds go, especially since they've recently gotten it together styling, sales and quality wise. My Dad's first car was a '59 Dynamic 88. My first car was almost an '85 Cutlass Supreme, but I couldn't pass up a free Coupe DeVille.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-29-04, 06:27 PM
...by the way, that '59 Olds cost $25, talk about depreciation.

gothicaleigh
04-29-04, 06:46 PM
Why did GM axe Olds and keep some of their other weak brands? They should have kept the name and remade it like they did Caddy...

The nameplate is one of the all-time greats in automotive history and has been around longer than any other GM brand(it's true). In fact, it was the first mass produced automobile in the US (take that, Henry Ford).

Ralph
04-29-04, 06:55 PM
Why did GM axe Olds and keep some of their other weak brands? They should have kept the name and remade it like they did Caddy...

The nameplate is one of the all-time greats in automotive history and has been around longer than any other GM brand(it's true). In fact, it was the first mass produced automobile in the US (take that, Henry Ford).

They came very close to axing Pontiac around 1990! The reason I remember this is because at that time, I was really into cruising and unofficial street racing, and I had EVERY issue of "High Performance Pontiac." :worship:

Usually seniors and retiring Baby Boomers seem to buy cushy, "affordable" luxury cars like Olds, now, will they be eliminating that market segment, or will they flock to Buick to carry on? They could spend more and get a Caddy, but many seniors I talk to scoff at the idea of paying more for "just a name."

tru504187211
04-29-04, 06:57 PM
Maybe it was the mid 80's that killed them. Every Olds looking like every Buick it seemed. They only needed a makeover, not a scraping of the name.

Vesicant
04-29-04, 08:18 PM
Had a 1991 Toronado Trofeo.. last of the toronado name even.. too bad i let it fall apart... lasted 200+ thousand miles though, and kept going until we sent it to the "place where old vehicles go to die".:crying: Great technology show off car!

Oldsmobile runs in the family too... as well does Cadillacs, Grandfather had an Eldorado convert. mid 70's

Sandy
04-29-04, 11:37 PM
We are in mouring here, with candles lit. Sad? Doesn't even scratch the surface!

Vesicant
04-29-04, 11:42 PM
I hate you GM!! (in a mad/depressed teenager voice)

(bangs fists and head against wall in rage) :banghead:

1897-2004 - Oldsmobile

Playdrv4me
04-30-04, 03:41 AM
Oldsmobile was getting staid... blah (and Pontiac will suffer the same fate if they dont get their act together...the Solstice is a GREAT start though). For me Oldsmobile was killed when the namesake was turned into just another marketing arm of the GM merry-go round during the eighties. The last thing I remember with any fondness from the entire time Ive been alive is the Aurora which I loved, and now that ive learned the Quad-4 engine was the humble beginning of the Northstar, I appreciate it too. Otherwise the Aurora was too little too late, even though the last Toronado Trofeo was a technological wonder of a car which I also liked. I never knew they were called "N" bodies, but personally those have always been some of my LEAST favorite most plasticky GM cars too. Ive never liked the Grand Am, Somerset, and especially the Alero, you could always tell that entire platform was just homogenized versions of eachother, and the interiors were terrible (GM seems to have real trouble with OBVIOUS badge engineering, look at the TrailBlazer platform which now is the basis for TrailBlazer,Envoy,Isuzu Ascender,Buick Rainier,Oldsmobile Bravada,Saab 9/7(!), and upcoming Hummer H3!, badge engineering is fine and it can bring great profit, but not when its OBVIOUSLY and recklessly done without meticulous attention to differentiation between models.)

Oldsmobile was the mac-daddy of all things classic car cool when it was in its hey-day, but I view its last years as more of putting it out of its misery than something ill miss. I think the new Buick and Pontiac products will have an even larger burden of proof without Oldsmobile, and the remaining brands will be able to maintain more individuality by not having to share their platforms with the retired cousin (the new Saab based on the Subaru Impreza is a GOOD example of smart badge engineering).

Elvis
04-30-04, 10:17 AM
The name killed them more than anything else. When I was growing up, Oldsmobile was second only to Cadillac in luxury and quality. Buick put the same features on their cars, but the quality just didn't seem to be there.

Having "old" in your name can kill your product.

Sandy
04-30-04, 10:50 AM
Oldsmobile Inside - - today"

http://www.northlandpcs.com/NCPCSmembers/Memb_Image/LJ1969oldsHearse2.jpg

It *IS* a 1970 Ninety-Eight

DopeStar 156
04-30-04, 11:44 PM
Damn that hearse is hot. My first car was almost an Olds 442 which was in great shape except mechanically.It was red with a black top if I remember correctly. Similar to my dad's Dynamic 88.

Sandy
05-01-04, 12:30 AM
I put that on the 3 car-boards I go to, and I seriously think that nobody has yet to "get~it" ~ ~

'Ya know "Intel.....Inside" ??

That's what I copied .... "Oldsmobie....Inside"
and, as you can see
it's an Oldsmobile !!

Dubya
05-01-04, 02:31 AM
oldsmobile had the potential to be so much more i think. brand management is what stopped people from buying them. like the aurora. love my aurora, but the 4.0 is a wee bit underpowered, coulda at least done a 4.2. its sad, now a PONTIAC gets a 4.6. then the alero. not my favorite car, but worlds better than a grand am SE. then they axe the OSV lineup, that intrigue osv was soooo much better than its w-body brother, the grandprix gtp. same with the alero, tons nicer than the grand am gt. oldsmobile's had better styling than there clones (buick/pontiac) since they re-did there lineup, first the aurora, then alero/intrigue.

if i could get a 2k3 pearl white aurora with a 4.6, that'd be my dream car (realistic dream car..).

tru504187211
05-01-04, 03:11 AM
I never knew they were called "N" bodies, but personally those have always been some of my LEAST favorite most plasticky GM cars too. Ive never liked the Grand Am, Somerset, and especially the Alero, you could always tell that entire platform was just homogenized versions of eachother, and the interiors were terrible (GM seems to have real trouble with OBVIOUS badge engineering, look at the TrailBlazer platform which now is the basis for TrailBlazer,Envoy,Isuzu Ascender,Buick Rainier,Oldsmobile Bravada,Saab 9/7(!), and upcoming Hummer H3!, badge engineering is fine and it can bring great profit, but not when its OBVIOUSLY and recklessly done without meticulous attention to differentiation between models.)

Was there ANY difference between the Skylark and the Somerset???

tru504187211
05-01-04, 03:12 AM
By the way, my guy turned down a 1992 Olds 98 for $700 for no body defects, 77,000 miles. Did he make a good desicion? I say no.

DaveSmed
05-01-04, 01:25 PM
Damn. I've always liked the classic Oldsmobiles. I came REAL close to ending up with this Cutlass instead of my Deville.