: Another seafoam thread

misfit6794
10-30-07, 09:21 PM
So I just picked up a 95 volvo 850 T5, tons of fun since its a sleeper, and gets waaaay better gas mileage than the bronco. I was checking out the volvo forums, and again like on the bronco forums, they swear by seafoam. I'm still a little skeptical about putting it in. Has anyone on here done it to their N*?

3000gtVR491
10-30-07, 09:35 PM
I just bought my caddy and dont plan on using seafoam. The only vehicle i have used it on was my old bronco. While using the seafoam it did smoke like crazy(found my exhaust leak) but after it was done the bronco didnt run any better, other than the visual smoke coming out the pipe, i saw/felt no difference than before i used it. From what i've read, the ocassional WOT is one of the best things for the N* best of all its free(well besides the extra gas)

Ranger
10-30-07, 10:45 PM
I need a snake oil icon.

dkozloski
10-31-07, 02:05 AM
Tap water sprayed in the intake with an old 409 bottle works just fine as a carbon remover. Hold the throttle at 2000 RPM and spray away. Quit spraying when the black smoke out the exhaust quits.

CadillacSTS42005
10-31-07, 10:48 AM
water?!?!?

Submariner409
10-31-07, 12:05 PM
Yes, water SPRAY. Oldest carbon remover trick on earth. Practically useless now due to much cleaner gas and additive packages.

Quite a few large recip aircraft engines also used water injection to prevent detonation (knock, ping) under extreme high load operation.

I wouldn't put Seafoam anything in a Briggs and Stratton, much less a N*.

Ranger
10-31-07, 12:27 PM
Yup, water works as well or better than any snake oil. I used to literally pour a glass of water down the carb while running the RPM way up. I am a little hesitant to do that now with the manifolds the way they are. I suppose if you mist it well you'd be OK, but you do not want the water to start pooling in the manifold and then slug a cylinder.

dkozloski
10-31-07, 03:11 PM
Take the cover off the airfilter. Wind the engine up to about 2000 RPM and hold it. Use an old spray bottle like 409 or Windex. Spray into the intake until black smoke quits coming out the exhaust. The shock cooling effect of the water breaks the carbon loose with absolutely no damage to the engine unless you're using the garden hose. Learned mechanics have been doing it the world over for 100 years.

Crown Vic Owner
11-01-07, 01:18 AM
Im sorry, i have to defend seafoam here

It completely got rid of my detonation in the crown vic, and made it run really well.