: replacing cams on N*

capn
04-28-04, 10:10 PM
Hey all

since i am now gainfully employed, i am buying me a set of 18's and cams. BUT what i would like to know is how hard is it to replace the cams on my N*. or would it be better to have a shop do it?

capn

BeelzeBob
04-29-04, 01:17 PM
The cams can be changed with the engine in the car without retiming the chains but you will need the special tools to hold the timing chains in position while the cam drive sprockets are removed. This was covered in several different posts previously. Use the search feature to review them.

What other cams are you going to put in?? If you are thinking of a hotter set of cams I would recommend against it. The car will go slower as any more aggressive cam profile is going to move the power further up the RPM scale and will hurt the lower end torque.... Spend the money on a higher stall speed converter so the engine can better make use of the power it has already.

capn
04-29-04, 08:35 PM
The cams can be changed with the engine in the car without retiming the chains but you will need the special tools to hold the timing chains in position while the cam drive sprockets are removed. This was covered in several different posts previously. Use the search feature to review them.

What other cams are you going to put in?? If you are thinking of a hotter set of cams I would recommend against it. The car will go slower as any more aggressive cam profile is going to move the power further up the RPM scale and will hurt the lower end torque.... Spend the money on a higher stall speed converter so the engine can better make use of the power it has already.
im thinking of putting in the chrfab 288 cams they claim a 75 hp increases thier not too wild for street use. and im not hauling much things except for ass in my car so down low torqur is not ALL that important to me but it still is important, i may even do a higher stall converter like you said. but thats still in progress.

also where can i get those special tools for cam removal? and about how labor intensive is this?

BeelzeBob
04-30-04, 11:36 AM
im thinking of putting in the chrfab 288 cams they claim a 75 hp increases thier not too wild for street use. and im not hauling much things except for ass in my car so down low torqur is not ALL that important to me but it still is important, i may even do a higher stall converter like you said. but thats still in progress.

also where can i get those special tools for cam removal? and about how labor intensive is this?

Definitely get the higher stall converter before you even consider the cams. You will be very disappointed otherwise.

Trust me, you need the low end....LOL....you have a pretty heavy car with an automatic transmission and a 280 cubic inch engine. If you loose ANY low end torque the car is going to slow down dramatically. If you look at the difference in torque between the L37 and the LD8 engines that is very obvious. The L37 has "hotter cams" and looses "only" 5 ftlb to the LD8....but the car needs a looser converter AND the 3.71 final drive to make up for that torque deficiency. You'll fall off the "torque cliff" if you loose any more with hotter cams and the car will slow down. It might make more HP but you'll never be able to use it and it will only be there on the very top end.

Search thru some of the recent older posts as the tools and cam change was described in detail several weeks ago. There is even a picture of one of the tools someone made to slide the sprockets onto to hold it in position while changing the cam.