: Advice Needed

Staxxin
10-30-07, 12:13 AM
The time has come to part with the Caddy. We’ve come across an irresistible deal on a leftover 2007 Lexus GS350 AWD ($2k below invoice). My wife loves the car so we’re going to make a move. The gotcha is they are only offering me $23k for the Caddy. KBB shows much higher trade values (~$28k) and even blackbook online says $22k-$26k and that's without counting the additional dollars spent originally on the FG2 shock package, ~$2,500 if memory serves. I’ve push them hard and there’s no movement.

My Caddy is a 2005 black on back with 53k miles, fully loaded with sunroof and FG2 performance shock package. Remember in 2005 sunroofs were an option. It's also under warranty until ~100k miles.

What do you think is that a fair price or are they crazy? Honestly I was a bit surprised; I figured it would be low but not that low. They recommended going to CarMax but I’ve never had any luck with them. I was considering calling the dealer I bought the car from and seeing if they may be interesting in buying it.

What would you do?

Jon
10-30-07, 12:29 AM
Well, your car is kinda high mileage.... I don't think you'd get $28k for it, but $23k is pretty damn low.

And sorry to hear you're going to a Lexus. You'll miss the V like crazy.

Alex_V
10-30-07, 12:31 AM
Trade in = no taxes on that ammount (in GA)

Private party sale 29-30K but you pay sales tax when buying new car from dealer

Bringing cash to a dealer makes it easier to negotiate buy price instead of juggling with trade in vs buy price.

if it was me, private sale and then go car shop.

rand49er
10-30-07, 09:31 AM
John, first of all, do you not want the hassle of a private sale? Might be worth several grand to you. As a suggestion, if you go this route, clean it within an inch of its life, then put a cover on it in the garage. When someone comes to see it, unveil it in front of them. Impressive! Sorta like it's your precious baby who's been lovingly cared for. Then, give them something to dry the drool on their chin as they reach for their wallet.

Second of all, a Toyota?!! :thepan:

keeksv
10-30-07, 09:52 AM
2K under invoice = 2K off the amount for your trade-in.

Say you'll take the 2K under invoice deal without the trade-in and sell your Caddy yourself. Just a thought.

blow03ss
10-30-07, 10:35 AM
JOhn it could never hurt to sell someone your shocks (hint hint) that could make some room for you. I know you have stripped the car but is there anything else you can get rid of to make up some cash on the car?

Staxxin
10-30-07, 12:45 PM
John, first of all, do you not want the hassle of a private sale? Might be worth several grand to you. As a suggestion, if you go this route, clean it within an inch of its life, then put a cover on it in the garage. When someone comes to see it, unveil it in front of them. Impressive! Sorta like it's your precious baby who's been lovingly cared for. Then, give them something to dry the drool on their chin as they reach for their wallet.

Second of all, a Toyota?!! :thepan:

I've been thinking about doing a private sale too. Naturally my wife is not keen on keeping the car around without knowing for sure it will move quickly. With the winter rapidly approaching, I have my reservations as well.
Yeah, its a Toyota :cool2:

Staxxin
10-30-07, 12:47 PM
2K under invoice = 2K off the amount for your trade-in.

Say you'll take the 2K under invoice deal without the trade-in and sell your Caddy yourself. Just a thought.

I know my thoughts too. The good news and why I'm trying to take alternate routes is they will stand by the discount with or without the trade. Id feel much better just by getting a couple thousand more.

Staxxin
10-30-07, 12:49 PM
JOhn it could never hurt to sell someone your shocks (hint hint) that could make some room for you. I know you have stripped the car but is there anything else you can get rid of to make up some cash on the car?

Crossed my mind as well since they seem to not even care about the shock package. The only other items I have sitting around are Lloyd floor mats.

wildwhl
10-30-07, 02:07 PM
Well, your car is kinda high mileage.... I don't think you'd get $28k for it, but $23k is pretty damn low.

And sorry to hear you're going to a Lexus. You'll miss the V like crazy.

Flamesuit on :mad2:

I went Lexus and haven't missed the problematic V one bit. Of course, the water lily picks up the slack ;)

Q: What do used V's and the US Housing market have in common :canttalk:

WW

JimmyH
10-30-07, 02:15 PM
Bringing cash to a dealer makes it easier to negotiate buy price instead of juggling with trade in vs buy price.

I disagree. Sometimes they are more willing to deal when you have a trade in because they can bill of sale the car at sticker price and inflate the trade-in price. I don't why, but they seem to like doing that.

do you not want the hassle of a private sale? Might be worth several grand to you.

Sometimes you get less on a private sale than trade-in because most buyers prefer to buy from a dealer, and would not buy from an individual. And it is a major headache selling a car.

Staxxin
10-30-07, 03:18 PM

I went Lexus and haven't missed the problematic V one bit. Of course, the water lily picks up the slack ;)

WW

Good to know.

JimmyH
10-30-07, 03:20 PM
Q: What do used V's and the US Housing market have in common

A: If properly treated by rational, sensible people, there is no problem at all.

blow03ss
10-30-07, 05:55 PM
Well you know that Im good for the money if you decide to get rid of the shocks. Let me know

Jon
10-31-07, 12:59 PM
I went Lexus and haven't missed the problematic V one bit.

How ya liking that mangina? :D ;) :p :sneaky: :D :D

wildwhl
10-31-07, 01:09 PM
How ya liking that mangina? :D ;) :p :sneaky: :D :D

Smokes my buddies V (but he can't shift).

WW

WheelHop
10-31-07, 01:15 PM
The only other items I have sitting around are Lloyd floor mats.

Annd what color and condition???

Staxxin
10-31-07, 03:35 PM
Annd what color and condition???

Mats are graphite to match the Caddy ebony interior. The driver side shows some dirt from use but could easily be cleaned, all others are like new, very rarely ever used, including the trunk mat. Fronts and trunk mat have the V logo embroidery centered. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Staxxin
11-01-07, 12:02 PM
Okay, the deal is done. I'm sad to say the Caddy is gone. I will truly miss her. However, I’m extremely pleased with the overall quality of the new car. I’ll continue to hang around and watch updates on the next-gen V. I’m already planning on replacing the wife’s vehicle. :sneaky:

BTW, the mats are available; send me a reasonable offer via PM.

wildwhl
11-03-07, 01:30 PM
You'll miss her at the stoplight one day...and then remember that you can just hammer the throttle without worrying about the diff :hide:

WW

CTSV_Rob
11-03-07, 04:00 PM

WW
Guessing it's bone stock too.

onebadcad
11-03-07, 09:04 PM

WW

He's just feeling sorry for you and that girly car of your's.

CTSV_Rob
11-03-07, 09:06 PM
He's just feeling sorry for you and that girly car of your's.
Good one.

Oooops missed a shift, your manly car is sooo much faster then mine :D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

onebadcad
11-03-07, 09:09 PM
If any V owner cannot beat a stock Lexus, he needs to sell it and get a Prius or a stock Lexus:thumbsup:.

Staxxin
11-04-07, 12:31 AM
You'll miss her at the stoplight one day...and then remember that you can just hammer the throttle without worrying about the diff :hide:

WW

So very true... I have to say, I am really enjoying the refinement.

Twitch
11-04-07, 01:28 AM

WW

If you don't like the V,,,why you still here???

trukk
11-05-07, 03:18 PM

Obviously it's his man crush on CVP33. :lildevil:

Seriously though, WW has been here since the beginning, and is in the top dozen or so members based on what he's contributed to the V community.

-Chris

wildwhl
11-05-07, 03:23 PM
Guessing it's bone stock too.

Both the V and IS are stock.

WW

wildwhl
11-05-07, 03:24 PM

Use search, and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere that I've stated I did not/do not like the V. I am simply here to support another man's decision. The car has issues - denial won't solve them.

V v2.0 should be better (I'm hoping)

Why am I still here? I like several of the forum members, the careless banter, and the lovely repeated questions :horse:

WW

wildwhl
11-07-07, 12:40 AM
Crap...that's all the cajones you have, Tw(B)itch? I was really hoping the new V-groupies were tougher :histeric:

WW

Twitch
11-07-07, 10:40 AM
Crap...that's all the cajones you have, Tw(B)itch? I was really hoping the new V-groupies were tougher :histeric:

WW

lol groupie??? I thought that was the chic in the passenger seat?

K, don't have to do a search, I'll take your word for it. :)
I guess I'm a lil overprotective when it comes to my V. To me, the fun factor overshadows the BS we have to deal with. Besides, everyone posts when they have a problem. No one wants to read about your uneventful day driving the V.

Catch me on a bad day,,,,I can get more snippy if you want. :want: