: Dealer Negotiation...Opinions needed on current climate.

Trump
04-28-04, 09:41 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, and if my post is inappropriate feel free to delete it. I'm not sure if it's ok or acceptable to name particular dealerships, so I'll not be specific.

I live in northern Virginia and will be purchasing a car soon. I have never owned a Cadillac. Based on my visits to area dealerships I have two possibilities that would work for me:

a. Purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Deville.

or

b. Purchase a new CTS.

A local dealer has two Devilles on their lot which were of interest:

1. 2003 base Deville, Cashmere in color, 20,300 miles for $32,900

2. 2003 base Deville, 16,300 miles for $34,900.

I talked with a friend who has bought Certified used Devilles from this well-known dealer in the past. My friend says they don't negotiate at all, period. The one exception was when he had a trade-in, and they negotiated a very small amount (don't know figure).

If if go with the Deville with 20,300 miles, after I add taxes, tag and title I guesstimate I'll be looking at around $35,000.00.

I could probably get a new CTS fairly loaded for around $36,000 or $37,000.

My question is, if anybody lives in northern Virginia, what has been your experience? Do you find that the dealers here don't negotiate certified pre-owned vehicles? Do you find that they negotiate on new CTS vehicles?

If I can't get the price down somewhat, I may be forced to not become a member of the Cadillac community.

Thanks All!

JJhomer83
04-29-04, 10:41 AM
i would go with the CTS and of course you need to negotiate the price. if you have a trade in that's gives you more leverage.