: Instead of Dexcool: it oozes brown sludge

Resilient
10-29-07, 05:35 PM
Uh-oh... cold weather is arriving, and with the new rad from last year, new T-Stat, new coolant and all is good (except the annoying low coolant light which didn't make sense as I was at the kalt line, so maybe an old sensor)... anyway...

Tonigh after driving home from work, decided to give a quick look at the engione bay to see if i could easily jumper the low coolant sensor wire...

Checked the oil level looked goo, midway between Min and Max, normal color and smell... opened the Oil fil cap, have some white'ish residue but that could have been caused by the heat issues last winter ( read about moisture misxing with oil, then hot, then cold etc... everything said not to worry).

Ok, now I'm worried... I have this brownish sludge seeping from the coolant reservoir cap... Any suggestions, ideas (aside from oil seeping into the coolant ducts, head gasket, etc..)...

I will be asking my dealership mechanic (since we have to discuss another tie rod en replacement... again)... and since I came across this: "add coolant to the reservoir with no visible leaks (bad indication). Found sludge in oil filler cap and in coolant reservoir. Search of internet indicated a defective intake manifold gasket"... well, they did replace the intake manifold gasket when they did the T-Stat... so, I might be able to have a better repair price... :-(

WillieTNT
10-29-07, 11:19 PM
A leak in a cyl head going from a water jacket to a oil return passage will put coolant in your oil. To the piston=white smoke. Oil in your coolant will be your oil cooler most of the time. Bypass it or replace it. Don't continue to drive the car until you fix it. You are going to gum up your whole cooling system.

10KTGOLD
10-30-07, 04:17 AM
drain the shitty dexcool out anyway. it causes corosion o aluminum parts, and are head are that. plus its crappy , do a back flush your self with a hose and the 10.00 kit

Resilient
10-30-07, 06:45 AM
Oil cooler... very possible.... thanks, something for sure to check.

Resilient
10-30-07, 06:47 AM
drain the shitty dexcool out anyway. it causes corosion o aluminum parts, and are head are that. plus its crappy and replace it with what? the green Prestone ? nah... I'll stick to dexcool.

Resilient
10-30-07, 09:43 PM
It will be in the shop tomorrow morning, starting with a coolant flush then pressure test... we'll see from there (same place they replaced my T-Stat and Rad early feb 07, and HCValve in April07)....

Resilient
11-01-07, 07:10 AM
Blown head gasket. The day (yesterday morning) I drove it in the dealership, we checked the oil level... all gone, no oil left, got all sucked into my coolant channels... (it's close to home less than 10 miles)....

Anyway, big job... have them doing it. Expensive job but... then again, I'm not equipped to change head gaskets.

10KTGOLD
11-01-07, 08:22 AM
wow that sux,

Resilient
11-01-07, 12:59 PM
Yup (I won't even mention the estimate) :alchi:

But I remind myself that I haven't had any car payments for the past 5 years, so aside from gas and yearly maintenance... it's still less expensive than having (or getting a new car)... and after I finish paying my divorce settlements (another 2 years) that will also free up some $$$, so then I will be able to afford something I want rather than just getting a replacement car.

As my friends say: your problem is you love that thing... LOL.

So in the end I'm getting it fixed... and will keep aiming for my 200 000km before I really consider parting with my Cat (I'm at 167 000km)...

Resilient
11-05-07, 05:55 PM
:want:
I hope they gave me the wrong message today... called the dealership (my guy being off sick)... anyway, asked for the status of my car, they said it needed another part, which they ordered (never called to ask me anyway...) seems the oil cooler is cracked... whoa... wait a minute..

On the diagnostic procedure, they supposedly eliminated that and determined it was a blown head gasket ?!

Below is off the Vauxhall do it yourself oil cooler replacement... which is exactly the description of what was occuring to my coolant and what the dealership saw first hand

"Typical signs of failure start with the coolant turning brown, and exhibiting a slightly oil tinge to it. Complete failure results in clogged radiator, and a sludge forming in the header tank."

Uh-oh... are they telling me that after doing the head gasket change, they then looked at the oil cooler... last ? Nothing I can read in the shop manuals or anywhere else for that matter, does it say you need to take the heads off to get access to the oil cooler... just the plenum and intake manifold, and right there they could have checked...

Can anyone else confirm this: that this should have been the first thing checked BEFORE removing the heads and going to the blown head gasket repair approach...

They will have some explaining to do, and it better be good...

10KTGOLD
11-05-07, 06:27 PM
the car would have smoked if it was headgaskets , most likey the heat would suck also.

Resilient
11-06-07, 05:31 AM
No smoke, at all... The heat well, had some but didn't really need to heat that much as it's still somewhat nice out.

il capo
11-06-07, 02:43 PM
can you bypass the oil cooler without damaging anything? Mine just did the same thing.

Resilient
11-08-07, 06:54 AM
I should be getting my Cat back today....

Resilient
11-09-07, 09:27 AM
I have it now... with a nice huge bill but got a lot of things done...
-new oil cooler
-new head gaskets
-new timing belt
-what looks like a whole lot of bolts...

Oh well, it run great... still aiming for the 200 000km mark (already at 168 000)...

...it's still my Cat :halo:

elvin315
11-09-07, 09:45 AM
Did they give you the old parts? I would check the old head gaskets. They are so quick to jump on that as the cause of so many problems. Your whole problem was most probably the oil cooler. It's a ticking time bomb like the cambelt tensioner. Unless they gave you the gaskets as proof, I wouldn't pay for the new ones or the labor involved.

Elvin

Resilient
11-10-07, 10:03 AM
Yes, have them... and yes they were worn beyond belief even the mechanic couldn't believe it... the steel cylinder rings were only attached by a small portion, the rest around them, was all eaten away...

Same thing with the timing belt, was cracked pretty much every inch...

Oil cooler same thing, fissured between the cooling blades...

Luckily they're good guys, I was only charged labor for the head gasket change (16hrs), everything else, was just charged the part, since, as they said, well now that it's all open, wouldn't be right to charge the labor for the timing belt change also... made perfect sense.

elvin315
11-10-07, 02:28 PM
That's good to hear.

Resilient
11-11-07, 05:52 PM
Yup... but still feel poor.... but then again.

Starting next summer with the new house an double garage... TaDah, more space and place to work...

We need to start a thread on body work and custom jobs (having had my hand at fiberglass work for ski and performance boats, I'm sure we could get some 'cool' stuff made for the Cat)... just need to work out some rust spots while I keep aiming for the 200K Km mark

Resilient
11-29-07, 06:49 PM
This has not been my week, month, year or luck with my 98 Cat... I have a new cooling system (all of it) and now new head gaskets, oil cooler, timeing belt etc...

Great, for the second time in the same amount of weeks since I got the car back... when idling through heavy traffic, temp gauge goes up 3/4... then the oil light goes on, and even one steady beep... Get back underway, normal driving (above 20Km-hr), temp goes down, and all is well, including oil...

-Oil levels is good and clean
-coolant is new, at level and clean

Here's my question (maybe I should post as seperate thread, actually... I will):

When the Oil indicator light and beep comes on, does it generate a code in the on-board cpu ?

I'm bringing it back in next Monday morning for them to check 9especially after the insance amount I spent 2 weeks ago).

inconnu
11-30-07, 08:07 AM
This has not been my week, month, year or luck with my 98 Cat... I have a new cooling system (all of it) and now new head gaskets, oil cooler, timeing belt etc...

Great, for the second time in the same amount of weeks since I got the car back... when idling through heavy traffic, temp gauge goes up 3/4... then the oil light goes on, and even one steady beep... Get back underway, normal driving (above 20Km-hr), temp goes down, and all is well, including oil...

-Oil levels is good and clean
-coolant is new, at level and clean

Here's my question (maybe I should post as seperate thread, actually... I will):

When the Oil indicator light and beep comes on, does it generate a code in the on-board cpu ?

I'm bringing it back in next Monday morning for them to check 9especially after the insance amount I spent 2 weeks ago).
I feel bad for you man,after spending truckload of money now low oil pressure and overheating that sucks,i dont think that generates any code to turn MIL on.If you didnt have this problem before you got the oil cooler and head gasket done then i can assume that there is some screwup in changing your oil cooler.Is it leaking any oil ?

usc2005
11-30-07, 10:11 AM
jjjj

Resilient
12-06-07, 05:58 PM
Quick update... TaDah, fixed with a 3$ fuse.

The auxiliary fans were not coming on during traffic idling, when the engine temp would rise, the fuse was blown so the fans were not coming on... issue fixed.