Some time ago, I struggled mightily to get the
belt threaded onto the pulleys.

Today, I changed the harmonic balancer and
so had the RF tire and the 2 front splash shields
off.

With those splash shields off, threading the
belt was simplicity itself!

Far as I was concerned, WELL worth the time
to take the tire and the 2 splash shields off!

macx
04-28-04, 09:41 PM
PS - I inserted the breaker bar into
the pulley tensioner arm, then pulled
the breaker towards the front of the
car and wired it in position - the belt
slipped right on and I then released
the tensioner.

capn
04-28-04, 09:43 PM
kudos on the good idea. now how about the water pump belt?

macx
04-28-04, 10:47 PM
Welllllll -

I changed my water pump last summer and
put a new belt on then. about 110k

I can't say I remember for sure if the pump
has to come off to change it or not.

Sorry I can't come up with an easy one
there!

hankk17
04-29-04, 07:50 AM
kudos on the good idea. now how about the water pump belt?
The water pump belt is easy - you have to take off the shield and then disengage the automatic tensioner to remove the belt.. and then take off the automatic tensioner itself. Then it's a tight squeeze, but the belt will come off without taking off the water pump. just reverse the procedure and you're done.

BeelzeBob
04-29-04, 01:11 PM
The water pump belt is very easy to change. Once it is disengaged from the pulleys and the tensioner just twist it between your fingers so that the belt goes past the water pump pulley on edge or sideways and it slips right out.....

The serpentine belt is much easier to remove and install if you make a handy "tool" out of a piece of scrap tubing. A 2-2.5 foot piece of 3/8 or so copper or steel tubing is fine. Bend a sharp L on one end about 1 inch long. Use the L on the end as a third hand to reach down along the front of the engine to thread the belt in between the pulleys. It works great and is cheap and easy.

One of the engineers was going to change a serpentine belt on one of the test cars on a development trip I was one to evaluate a different compound of belt. He was complaining about how long it would take. I told him that I would pull the old belt off if he would put the new one on and that I bet I could get the old one off in less than 30 seconds. He took the bet. I cut the old belt with my pocket knife and handed it to him in 10 seconds..... It took him longer than that to put the new one on....LOL LOL LOL

eagle97
04-29-04, 04:13 PM
Water pump belt was easy to replace just as stated above mainly because it was easy to release the tensioner (no need to remove the pump just the shield). For the surpentine belt, I used the crowbar inserted directly into the front slot of the tensioner (facing the front of the car) and pushed down. The manual states to use a 1/2 inch size. It also helps if the belt is made to go around all pulleys and the tensioner except the power steering pump pulley (top most one). Once the tensioner is released, it's very easy to slip the belt on this top most pulley.

It was easy to remove the threadings once the wheel and shields were off.

El Dobro
05-01-04, 10:55 AM
I found that the easiest way for me to change the serp belt is to remove the tensioner after the tension is released, thread the new belt in place, install the tensioner and then pop the belt onto the p/s pulley.

Roswell256
05-06-04, 09:21 AM
bbob....thats cheating....ROTFL...

capn
05-06-04, 08:27 PM
ahhah good one BBob, and i need to replace my belts (both of em) so look slike its an easy one that i can do.