: My subs wont hit!

IownaCTS-V
10-29-07, 01:21 PM
I have a rockford t5002 500 watt amp powering a alpine x 12'' sub. In my last car this sub hit really hard! Now when i moved the same setup in to the caddy is barely even hits. So I went ahead and bought a rockford fosgate T20001 amp (2000 watts) and 2 kicker 15'' l7 squares. After installation of this setup - subs still wont hit. Any ideas as to why?

thebigjimsho
10-29-07, 01:23 PM
I have a rockford t5002 500 watt amp powering a alpine x 12'' sub. In my last car this sub hit really hard! Now when i moved the same setup in to the caddy is barely even hits. So I went ahead and bought a rockford fosgate T20001 amp (2000 watts) and 2 kicker 15'' l7 squares. After installation of this setup - subs still wont hit. Any ideas as to why?It won't hit until you get dubs on your donk.

thebigjimsho
10-29-07, 01:24 PM
Sorry. It's probably the trunk dimensions. Or if you're using the Bose amps as inputs...

IownaCTS-V
10-29-07, 01:30 PM
I had a sound shop do the installation... Where are the bose amps located?

The Tony Show
10-29-07, 01:40 PM
They probably need to change the crossover settings, especially if they used a line level converter to tap into the signal from the Bose factory sub.

IownaCTS-V
10-29-07, 01:41 PM
I found out where the boss amps are located... So if they are being used as imputs what should I change to make this system work properly?

GMBOUND
10-29-07, 02:59 PM
I'm told the Factory HU has Bass Limiting on it. Must change the HU out

IownaCTS-V
10-29-07, 03:29 PM
Are there any other options then to have to change the head unit out?

Mystical_Ice
10-29-07, 04:19 PM
you're connecting it before the Bose subwoofer amp, right? the input TO the bose amp?

i know nothing about the cadillac's sound system, but i worked on sound systems for 2 or 3 years

WHYTRY
10-29-07, 04:21 PM
JL audio clean sweep. You will keep the stock HU and it is the best line level conv. out there. You can put the remote vol and bass gain on the dash (I put the knobs in my ashtray) plus it has a place to hook in your IPOD if you have all your speakers thru it. I first tried a cheap line level and it did what you r talking about...nothing just a weak signal.

ssmith100
10-29-07, 07:28 PM
You can't tap the input before the Bose amp .......no volume control. They probably installed a line out converter when you didn't need one. The factory Bose amp does have a bass limiting feature as the volume is turned up. You atill should have a fair amount of bass though. The Clean Sweep, R/F 360.2...etc aren't necassary to just add a sub.

Shane

Dave-V
11-01-07, 03:44 PM
I have a Boston Pro 12 and a Fockfors Punch 360. It slams. I know the shop used the leads form the Bose. I don't know about the crossover point. I also have a knob mounted on the console to control the volume of the sub. It is not as loud as it was in my Tahoe but it is as loud as it was in my 540.

Natedog
11-01-07, 04:04 PM
You can't tap the input before the Bose amp .......no volume control. They probably installed a line out converter when you didn't need one. The factory Bose amp does have a bass limiting feature as the volume is turned up. You atill should have a fair amount of bass though. The Clean Sweep, R/F 360.2...etc aren't necassary to just add a sub.

Shane
So where's the appropriate place to get a signal from... after the stock amp?? i've got an Elemental Designs 12" and MTX amp laying around that i'd like to add to the stock system... i've used a RCA line out converter in previous vehicles, will this not work? the final step is gonna be figuring out how to secure this sucker in the trunk while i'm whipping 1+ g turns:devil:

ssmith100
11-01-07, 04:50 PM
You have to tap after the Bose amp. I would recommend "NOT" using an LOC though so you get plenty of signal to whatever amp you decide to use.

Shane

heavymetals
11-01-07, 07:52 PM
If you pm me with your email I can supply pics and instructions.

Supposed to be in the FAQ's, but Reed is lazy.

Knuguy
11-02-07, 12:20 AM
I'm told the Factory HU has Bass Limiting on it. Must change the HU out

That's just plain wrong - would they really do that - As mentions a RF 360 or JL CLeansweep is probably the best option over a high level converter. Bose systems often use odd impedances and could mess with the input voltage from any converter

Also on your amp - check to make sure your crossover is on low pass usually round 80hz. Did you remove the stock sub from the deck? If not that could be absorbing the wave and act as a badly tuned passive radiator.

thebigjimsho
11-02-07, 01:04 AM
OK experts, here's one for you. I remember that you can custom tailor your setting on the RF 360.2 with a Palm device. I'm getting a new phone soon and I may be getting a Palm Sprint phone. Knowing this would work will help in the decision...

ssmith100
11-02-07, 11:20 AM
Jim,

As you know I had both the CleanSweep (1st) and then the R/F 360.2 (2nd). The 360.2 offered me more control but it was noisey (system gain noise) A lot of people even with different types of cars have complained about it. Also, the bluetooth palm device to control sounds cool............it's not. I frequently had problems with my palm disconnecting while I was trying to tune. If I was going to buy a piece of equipment to manipulate the signal from the BOSE amp I would buy the Audio Control DQL-8. All the reviews I've read about it have been positive. It offers as much control as the 360.2 if not more.

Shane

GMBOUND
11-02-07, 01:10 PM
Jim,

As you know I had both the CleanSweep (1st) and then the R/F 360.2 (2nd). The 360.2 offered me more control but it was noisey (system gain noise) A lot of people even with different types of cars have complained about it. Also, the bluetooth palm device to control sounds cool............it's not. I frequently had problems with my palm disconnecting while I was trying to tune. If I was going to buy a piece of equipment to manipulate the signal from the BOSE amp I would buy the Audio Control DQL-8. All the reviews I've read about it have been positive. It offers as much control as the 360.2 if not more.

Shane
Yep, that Audio Control piece is Sweet!! Do you have any deals on it. They said it was $800ish:hmm:

the final step is gonna be figuring out how to secure this sucker in the trunk while i'm whipping 1+ g turns:devil:
I think I only have 1 stud (covered by the tie down pucks)still standing, in my trunk, The rest have all been knocked off by my boxes sliding around.
I have found that Velcro works great, but you better not need to remove the box anytime soon!

Seattle CTS-V
11-02-07, 01:20 PM
I have a JL audio 500/1 and a single 12" MTX sub in a ported box. The thing hits HARD and I don't have a cleansweep or different HU at all. I did remove the factory sub though which created a little pass-through in the rear deck lid. Don't ask me about the details of the install b/c audio isn't my thing. Car Toys in Bellevue, WA did my install.

thebigjimsho
11-02-07, 01:43 PM
Jim,

ShaneGreat to know! Thanks Shane. Since I'm not looking for a crazy install, I'll have the guys at Sound in Motion take care of that.

GMBOUND
11-02-07, 01:59 PM
Hadn't taken the factory Sub out but did cut a whole in the armrest. It doesn't sound bad, just not was hard hitting as it was in my Grand Prix with the Monsoon System in it. Also I find that If I keep the volume down it sounds terrific, but when I get excited and turn in up, the bass slowly goes bye-bye.

heavymetals
11-02-07, 02:28 PM
Hadn't taken the factory Sub out but did cut a whole in the armrest. It doesn't sound bad, just not was hard hitting as it was in my Grand Prix with the Monsoon System in it. Also I find that If I keep the volume down it sounds terrific, but when I get excited and turn in up, the bass slowly goes bye-bye.

You might have the sub slightly out of phase.

As the volume is increased, the out of phase condition causes the waves to attenuate each other.

ssmith100
11-02-07, 02:31 PM
I've bought a ton of equipment from these guys and never had a problem.
Link for Audio Control:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5151

Here's a pic of a CTS member that did this in his spare tire well.

Shane

thebigjimsho
11-02-07, 02:39 PM
Link for Audio Control:

ShaneI guess I won't mind having a separate volume control if I have to use that. Thanks again.

GMBOUND
11-02-07, 04:36 PM
Link for Audio Control:

Shane

I remember them from Waayy back. Surprised they're still in business.
That's a good price too.

GMBOUND
11-02-07, 04:37 PM
You might have the sub slightly out of phase.

As the volume is increased, the out of phase condition causes the waves to attenuate each other.

I'll take a gander, I know that we turned the box around twice and screwed with the Phase 3 times, maybe we didn't switch it back!

heavymetals
11-02-07, 04:47 PM
Proper phasing isn't just a 180deg switch.

Most good amps allow this to be adjustable.

If you have a low frequency source of about 100hz, you can "tune" the sub to the system.

Either sit in the car as you would normally and adjust for max volume (proper phase) or monitor with a db meter and adjust for maximum.

Because of the closed space in a car, common signals from different speakers are more phase sensitive at high volume.

mageead
12-08-07, 02:12 PM
In my 94 caddy i had to take out the rear speakers the back seat lining in trunk as well ass the hard plastic guard i then added a 300 watt amp to 2 10 inch subs and let me tell you that mother hits hard .You have to give your subs room tobtreath and a vent for the bass. hope this helps

heavymetals
12-08-07, 05:59 PM
Use the output of the BOSE amp going to the sub woofer as the input to your new amp and match up the inputs (use the speaker level inputs on your new amp).

Unless you want to swap out the head unit, that is the only place your gonna get the low frequency output for the sub, as the rest of the system has it rolled off.

The BOSE unit in the trunk is a crossover/amplifier/ frequency splitter POS that distributes the audio signal besides processing it.

Bueller
12-09-07, 08:22 AM
Back to the basics. If you have two speakers and one is out of phase they will cancel themselves out. Try switching the + and - on one speaker. I hope that is your issue, simple fix.