: All season tires for a -V

fzimbric
10-29-07, 11:52 AM
I have an '06 CTS-V with the stock Goodyear runflat "M+S" all season radials. These tires don't seem to be able to stick to anything. The back end comes loose really easily and the best I've done on the G-meter is 0.8. Last week, in the rain, the rear came around on me when I was going about 30 and I kissed a guardrail. The car is in the shop now getting fixed, and I will end up with an extra wheel (curb rash), so I want to get rid of the RF and go with something that has some grip in rain and snow. I will be driving in the winter (Chicago) so summer tires are out. Any suggestions?

Fred Z
'06 CTS-V Light Platinum
'98 C5 Corvette Pewter

SkullV
10-29-07, 12:06 PM
Bridgestone Potenza RE060 Pole Position AS...I am in the Chicagoland area and they are great in rain and snow!

StealthV
10-29-07, 02:12 PM
Dedicated winter-only tires. Regular (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3) or Run-Flat (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3+DSST)

zman1
10-29-07, 02:15 PM
bridgestone blizzak winter tires are the way to go. i had them on my V last winter...never got stuck at all.....never even had the tires spin on me....they do a great job

Ak Jim
10-29-07, 02:46 PM
I have the Dunlop M3s and they are great. After enduring the harsh ride from the F1s they are a relief! With these tires on the car the limit with snow is the air dam.

JimmyH
10-29-07, 03:15 PM
bridgestone blizzak winter tires are the way to go. i had them on my V last winter...never got stuck at all.....never even had the tires spin on me....they do a great job
:yeah:

you cannot beat blizzak for snow tires

if you want all season, I have been mildly impressed with Michelin Pilot Exalto. They are a little pricey though.

rand49er
10-29-07, 04:40 PM
I have the Dunlop M3s and they are great. After enduring the harsh ride from the F1s they are a relief! With these tires on the car the limit with snow is the air dam.Hey, Jim, how much ya got so far up there? ... 3ft? ... 4ft? ... ?

NormV
10-29-07, 04:52 PM
Hey fellow C5 owner. I have Pilot sport AS and punched in the rain at 60 MPH in the rain and had the back end leave the lane. I was surprised considering what it takes to rotate the longer wheel base of the V compared to the shorter wheel of the C5.

May I suggest a trip to Autobahn for some track time. Rain days are fun!

Norm

fzimbric
10-31-07, 10:47 AM
Hi Jim,

Were those the Eagle F1 EMT or All Season? I was looking at Tire Rack and they rated the Eagle F1 All Season better than three other tires they tested, especially wet traction.

Fred Z
'06 CTS-V Light Platinum
'98 C5 Corvette Pewter

JimmyH
10-31-07, 01:03 PM
Wow, I never knew until this thread that there was an F1 all season :bang2:

How are those tires?

dqw1
10-31-07, 04:18 PM
The last time I checked they were about $200 a tire at TireRack. I'm leaning towards buying a set next week.

rand49er
10-31-07, 04:45 PM
The last time I checked they were about $200 a tire at TireRack. I'm leaning towards buying a set next week.Okay, I gotta ask: How much snow do you guys ... er, I mean ... y'all get down there?

j/k ;)

dqw1
10-31-07, 05:31 PM
Okay, I gotta ask: How much snow do you guys ... er, I mean ... y'all get down there?

j/k ;)
errr, maybe a light dusting or a flurry- so all the schools and city will panic and shutdown. Kroger's & Winn Dixie shelves and milk will get wiped out, you know how we do it down south when a forecaster accidently says SNOW.

Feffman
11-01-07, 12:48 AM
I'm running the Yokohama Advan S4 (all season V rated) and have been very happy with them. My first choice was the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position but they were on back order pretty much across the country.
The Yokos are wearing well, handle good and have performed great in the rain. Can't tell you about their performance in the snow as winter hasn't arrived just yet.

Feff

fzimbric
11-05-07, 10:00 AM
The F1 All Season must be really new because Tire Rack just ran their comparison test in September: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=87

Fred Z
'06 CTS-V Light Platinum
'98 C5 Corvette Pewter

SkullV
11-05-07, 01:34 PM
I'm running the Yokohama Advan S4 (all season V rated) and have been very happy with them. My first choice was the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position but they were on back order pretty much across the country.
The Yokos are wearing well, handle good and have performed great in the rain. Can't tell you about their performance in the snow as winter hasn't arrived just yet.

Feff

I Looooove my bridgestone pole position AS