: Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ?

ascariSTS
10-29-07, 02:50 AM
I'm planning to buy the new 2008 STS key fob coz it looks MUCH better than the current one..

The programming procedure is available in the user manual... but, Do you think it will work ?

I mean, same car, same keyless access system, same key fob buttons... Should work, right ?

ascariSTS
10-29-07, 04:07 AM
Sorry, didn't put the link... Here is what I found in Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-CADILLAC-SMART-KEY-1-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQihZ016Q QitemZ260175702335QQtcZphoto

This one is used... I just have to reprogram it...

rb92gt
10-29-07, 11:06 AM
I agree, it does look nicer. I would ask the dealer, because they will have to reprogram it to match your vehicle. The only other potential issue is that I believe the new fob actually has a key inside of it, which you will not have. My dad just took delivery of a 2008 Z06 which has an identical looking fob, and has the key inside the fob so that you don't have to carry a separate key in case fob battery dies. Nice feature. You could probably look up the manual for a 2008 STS online and see if it does have the key inside.

ascariSTS
10-29-07, 12:02 PM
it does have the key inside, but this is not my concern...

Going to my lazy dealer and asking for a matching key or reprogramming, No I don't wanna do it...

I'm going to program it myself since the procedure is already there... for the spare key, i'll keep my old key, have no problem with that...

my concern is, will the programming work ?... hard to answer, need to be tried first...

Buzz48317
10-29-07, 01:00 PM
The new fob should work on the 2006. I have a 2007 with the same remote that you have on your 06 and in my owners manual section where it talks about the remotes it gives the pictures of both the new and the old remotes. I believe that the dealer (or any key seller) should be able to cut the key for the new remote also. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

ascariSTS
10-29-07, 02:13 PM
Great ... thnx a lot :)

I'll order it online coz it will be indeed cheaper than dealer's...

i'll let you know...

Caroutisine
10-29-07, 02:36 PM
I would think that you could return it if it does not work. It's not even a part that you would install in the vehicle. Should be a go or no go right out of the box.

Bee iLL
10-29-07, 02:52 PM
I seem to recall someone stating on the STS-V forums that the dealer is required to program the new FOB's and that your old FOB's would no longer work... I could be wrong though.

rb92gt
10-29-07, 04:44 PM
I bought my car as a CPO and it was missing FOB 1. Dealer bought it for me and it did not work. Program method in manual did not work either, so had to bring it back to dealer. They stated that you cannot rewrite a FOB yourself. This makes sense, otherwise I could sit in your car with my FOB, reprogram it, and then steal your car.

thefred
10-29-07, 08:56 PM
Man, that expensive, but cool. Let us know if it works!

ascariSTS
10-30-07, 01:21 AM
I bought my car as a CPO and it was missing FOB 1. Dealer bought it for me and it did not work. Program method in manual did not work either, so had to bring it back to dealer. They stated that you cannot rewrite a FOB yourself. This makes sense, otherwise I could sit in your car with my FOB, reprogram it, and then steal your car.

you have to have both FOBs, recognized and new, to program it...

z06bigbird
10-30-07, 01:24 PM
$650 plus programming for an M45 Infinity key/fob. That was after my commercial discount.

z06bigbird
10-30-07, 01:25 PM
If you lose both keys/fobs on a high end Lexus, plan on buying the new keys/fobs/plus computer for about $3500 to $4500. Plus tax.

thefred
10-30-07, 03:18 PM
If you lose both keys/fobs on a high end Lexus, plan on buying the new keys/fobs/plus computer for about $3500 to $4500. Plus tax.
That's just incomprehensible. I know there is a cost of developing things. But, if they have that much $ in R&D, then they need to reconsider their budget or spread it out over time further.

RIP00DTS
11-20-07, 07:32 PM
just doesnt sound worth it to me

pjbizjak
11-21-07, 06:44 PM
I also bought a CPO with #1 FOB missing. The dealer sent me a new one and I was able to program it via owners manual instructions, however it was programed into the #3 slot as a extra FOB. Everything works except being that it was entered as #3 FOB it won't keep the memory positions that are set, only FOB 1 & 2 will keep memory settings.

jjsocrazy
11-22-07, 06:21 PM
My father works for a Cadillac dealer and I have an 07 STS. I tried to get the new 08 Key Fob which looks beautiful but they said it isn't possible. If you are familiar with the way the key works, it picks up signals from a type of antenna of some sort to open the doors, trunk, etc. The new key integrated with this system will not work with the 05-07 model year, only the 08 and above since the entire system with the antennas and all are different in the new key fob, I assume better reception from the key to open in crowded/interference areas. This is why they didn't want to put it in the 05-07 year since they waited to update the model.

LuvMyV8
11-23-07, 10:27 AM
I also bought a CPO with #1 FOB missing. The dealer sent me a new one and I was able to program it via owners manual instructions, however it was programed into the #3 slot as a extra FOB. Everything works except being that it was entered as #3 FOB it won't keep the memory positions that are set, only FOB 1 & 2 will keep memory settings.

I'm confused. I'm missing the #2 fob. Does that mean that if I buy a fob and reprogram using the manual instructions, it will ONLY be recognized as #3? Or is there a way to set it to #2?

AllWheelEric
11-23-07, 06:00 PM
If your car was originally sold in the US, it is designed so that you can fix this problem yourself. I have done this. I bought my car used with only one fob that was programmed as driver 1. I bought a second fob on ebay, which the car accepted as driver 3. I then followed the lengthy (40 minute) procedure in the user manual to make the car forget all fobs. Then I taught it to recognize the same two fobs as driver 1 and 2. I know others have been unable to do this, but it did work for me.

lil666
11-27-07, 08:52 AM
So, I just read this thread and I see some that say you can use an '08 Fob and others that say no.
Is there a difinitive answer? Has anyone TRIED to do?
Also, is the key housed IN the fob as previously mentioned? (that would be cool)

I'm interested in giving this a whirl, but don't want to dole out $200 if it's not going to work.

Thanks!

05STSWOW
11-27-07, 05:13 PM
The valet key is enclosed within the fob, so you can flip the valet switch, lock the glove box, and hand the fob to the attendant. The problem is that the key ring eye is attached to the valet key part and the fob is left with nothing and no way to attach a parking tag or hang it on a hook. Makes it easy for the attendant to misplace to fob. This was really not very well thought out, plus the valet is a bitch to extract from the fob.

slr001
01-03-08, 11:05 PM
So was the 2008 fob able to work on the 06? Was the key inside the fob "uncut"??

bigdog9586
01-04-08, 09:36 AM
hasn't it been said here that yes you can reprogram them but unless the dealer goes in and tweaks the cars computer that the memory functuons will NOT work?
==================

I seem to recall someone stating on the STS-V forums that the dealer is required to program the new FOB's and that your old FOB's would no longer work... I could be wrong though.

tonysailor
01-05-08, 10:58 PM
was told it would at stealership.

T

stephenstay
01-06-08, 11:35 PM
I purchased a 2007 STS-V from a dealer that came with a 2008 fob. The dealer was driving the car and said he liked the newer style better. I don't know if there are any "tricks" to make it work but I do know that mine is working fine.

mkailley
01-09-08, 06:27 PM
I am one of those lucky guys who went out and bought a new 2008 fob for my 2007 STS,,, I only tried a few times this morning, but I cant seem to pair the fob with my car. The instructions are pretty straight forward so im pretty sure im not messing up.

From what i read around, there is a chance the 2008 FOB will not work with 2007 cars because they use different transmitter/recievers
So a word of caution to anyone wanting to buy a 2008 FOB. I wasted $70 if i cant get this to work

Bee iLL
01-09-08, 07:43 PM
I am one of those lucky guys who went out and bought a new 2008 fob for my 2007 STS,,, I only tried a few times this morning, but I cant seem to pair the fob with my car. The instructions are pretty straight forward so im pretty sure im not messing up.

From what i read around, there is a chance the 2008 FOB will not work with 2007 cars because they use different transmitter/recievers
So a word of caution to anyone wanting to buy a 2008 FOB. I wasted $70 if i cant get this to work

I'll say it again.. In the sts-v forum there was a thread of an individual who could not program his new 2008 fob to his 2006 or 2007 car. He took it to the dealer, who had to reprogram his car to use the new 2008 fob, at which point the old fobs no longer worked. If i am wrong, shoot me. But i don't think i am.

Budlite984
03-23-08, 09:31 PM
Yes it will work, I have a 2006 cadillac DTS I got a 08 fob off thr internet, Went out and in 30 sec. it was working. I redid all my old fobs at the same time. If you like the 08 look get one it will work.

tomm
03-23-08, 10:03 PM
Yes it will work, I have a 2006 cadillac DTS I got a 08 fob off thr internet, Went out and in 30 sec. it was working. I redid all my old fobs at the same time. If you like the 08 look get one it will work.

Glad it worked on your DTS but I bought one and my STS does not even recognize it when I put it in the fob pocket in the armrest. Does nothing except the DIC keeps displaying insert Fob 3 to be programmed and does nothing when I insert it to be programmed.

nixonride
03-24-08, 12:08 AM
so it works for some and not for others....looks like this is one that if you get it take it to the dealer and have them reprogram it. Tomm have you tried to take it to a dealership and have the reprogram done. I like the look of the new keys and would like to do the swap since I really don't have any other keys that I carry around with me. Guess I will go see what my local dealer says.

tomm
03-24-08, 12:26 AM
so it works for some and not for others....looks like this is one that if you get it take it to the dealer and have them reprogram it. Tomm have you tried to take it to a dealership and have the reprogram done. I like the look of the new keys and would like to do the swap since I really don't have any other keys that I carry around with me. Guess I will go see what my local dealer says.

No, I have not tried the dealer.. I just know it definately can not be programmed using the add a FOB function.

When something happens and it needs to go in for service I will enquire more about it. Its not worth my time to go to the dealer for just this.

Caroutisine
03-24-08, 12:38 AM
But the DTS still uses a key to start the car...right?

Wouldn't this make the fob's function different?

So if this is the case, we couldn't compare the STS to the DTS.

05lover
03-25-08, 11:18 PM
Hey what if you do a complete FOB reset in your car (the one that takes 30min) will the 08' fob work then????

05lover
03-30-08, 12:23 AM
Any body anything??????

AZRANZ
05-18-08, 08:45 PM
Bump.

Any body anything??????

silverws6ta
11-16-08, 06:25 PM
Bump x2 -- Did anybody ever get this working?

Angus Young
11-17-08, 03:27 PM
I purchased one of the 08 fobs for my 05 STS 1SG and It will NOT WORK on my car, you can erase all fobs and reprogram them however plan on spending 40 mins doing it and sweating & panicing because your STS will not start for those 40 mins, ohh and btw I have a 2008 CADILLAC DTS STS CTS KEYLESS REMOTE. This remote was the spare key and has never been used. The number 2 is on the top of this remote.

silverws6ta
11-17-08, 03:51 PM
We think this may only be able to be done by a dealer with the Tech 2 --

Florian and I have been discussing over in the STS-V forum as well; I may give it a try later when I get home on mine and see if I can wipe and start over with one of the #1's that I have -- I know it WILL not add it as a FOB #3 -- i already tried that.

CW

Cliff8928
11-20-08, 03:03 AM
anybody have the FCC ID off a new style FOB?

Dirny
06-16-09, 01:59 PM
OK, found this thread while searching for the information, but it seemed to die before there was a definitive answer. To summarize:

- you can't seem to compare DTS experience with STS.
- a 2008 fob can't just be added as FOB #3
- You must make sure the fob is specific to the STS
- it seems you can't program it yourself

So, has anyone gotten a definitive word from the dealer as to if this can be programmed? Do dealers still sell the old style fob (2005-2007) in case of need replacement?

bbshriver
06-16-09, 04:24 PM
I'm interested in following up on this too.. don't care about the style of the fob, but don't like having a 2nd key attached. I like the internal key idea much better (that's the way I've seen it done by other brands). I have a 2005....

next2pool
06-16-09, 10:59 PM
The DTS is based on the old G body circa 1993. Although it has been updated, and is a nice car, it shares virtually nothing with the STS--different engineering organization and people. Bottom line, the fact that something works on one has nothing to do with the other.

bbshriver
06-17-09, 08:48 AM
I'm confused, G body is RWD
http://www.g-body.org/

Also, from reading the brochure at the Caddy dealer a few days ago, I believe it does start "keyless" like our STS.

Not that I'm saying a DTS fob will work, but that question was asked a few frames back.

The DTS is based on the old G body circa 1993. Although it has been updated, and is a nice car, it shares virtually nothing with the STS--different engineering organization and people. Bottom line, the fact that something works on one has nothing to do with the other.

EChas3
06-17-09, 11:24 AM
I thought I saw a thread that stated the new style Fob's have to have the key inserted to program to a particular car.

next2pool
06-17-09, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=bbshriver;1912094]I'm confused, G body is RWD
http://www.g-body.org/

That's the previous gen G body. The fwd G body was the Aurora and Riv (originally scheduled for 1993 but delayed till 95) Then it was expanded to the Park Avenue, Deville, LeSabre, and then the Lucerne. Those were/are all transverse FWD--many with Northstar.

Dirny
06-20-09, 01:52 PM
So, has anyone gotten a definitive word from the dealer as to if this can be programmed? Do dealers still sell the old style fob (2005-2007) in case of need replacement?[/QUOTE]

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone?

TimmyC
11-27-09, 01:18 AM
I just added an 08 fob to my 06 and it works perfectly.

coolbreeze
11-27-09, 09:10 AM
I purchased a 2008 FOB off of Ebay for my 2006 STS. I followed the instruction below which I got from this forum. I reprogrammed the 2008 FOB as #1 and my 2006 FOB #2 as #2 and the #1 FOB as #3.

Success - My wife's 2007 1SE is not a brick! Both FOB's work fine. Previously posted procedures (and the Owners Manual) are essentially correct but not perfect. I'm sure I won't be either but here's my attempt:

Matching Transmitters to Your Vehicle

There are three procedures based on your particular situation. Method 1 adds additional Transmitters (FOB's) when you have a known FOB. Method 2 adds FOB's when you have no known FOB's and one or more replacements (that have never been matched to your STS) in hand. Method 3 resets already known FOB(s) and allows up to 4 FOB's to be matched.

- Method 1 -
The Owners Manual is correct.

- Method 2 -
The Owners Manual contains this procedure but it is written such to suggest that the procedure pertains to Canadian owners. Based on my experience, it should work for US owners with no known FOB's needing to match one or more replacements. Please beware that the actual procedure may contain some small varience from the manual (see below) but is accurate enough to acheive success.

- Method 3 -
This procedure will first erase all known FOB's. The procedure will then program a single FOB or multiple FOB's. Like Method 2, Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good FOB's within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the vehicle recognizes a known good FOB during programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. (I left the door open throughout.)
3. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
4. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
5. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
6. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
8. At the end of the 30 minute cycle, the DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
9. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
10. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: NO FOBS RECOGNIZED. At this time all previously known FOB's have been erased. Then the DIC displays: READY FOR FOB 1.
11. Go get the FOB you want to be #1 and insert it in the FOB pocket. (According to a posting elsewhere on the STS Enthusiast Forum, new style square FOB's may need the key inserted in the FOB in order to be programmed.)
12. When FOB 1 is programmed, a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
13. Remove FOB 1 and set it aside. It does not need to be removed from the car.
14. Additional FOB's can be programmed by getting them and placing them in the pocket as prompted. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
15. If learning less than 4 FOB's, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
16. Press the 'Unlock' button on each FOB in sequence to finalize the FOB matching sequence.

Important! Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the Unlock button of each FOB programmed will result in that FOB being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is required to ensure transmitter operation.

EChas3
11-30-09, 11:12 PM
Nice procedure. It looks familiar!

Enjoy!

mcflury
08-01-11, 03:54 AM
I purchased a 2007 STS-V from a dealer that came with a 2008 fob. The dealer was driving the car and said he liked the newer style better. I don't know if there are any "tricks" to make it work but I do know that mine is working fine.
Does the valet key from you 08 fob work in your 06 sts-v

EChas3
08-06-11, 01:12 PM
The new style fob's key is a different blank so some handiwork is required to match an old-style key to a new-style fob. Tomm sourced a bunch of the new fobs awhile ago and there were a couple of threads on the topic.

I think the valet key is separate and the one in the fob is full-function.

JediSamreye
08-06-11, 02:45 PM
so am i safe in thinking that since 06 people have gotten it to work fine then my 05 should work as well?

chazglenn3
08-06-11, 06:47 PM
I'm using one for my '05.

mcflury
08-09-11, 12:31 AM
It works great just finished programing the new remote today. First I ordered off ebay this part number 25943676 which is 2011/2008 remote with remote start and proximity this one came off a 2011 Cts-v.
I used method 2 down below first added the 2008 FOB as FOB 3 and the it was easy as pie. I tried some functions and remote start would not work. Second I used method three from below and reset all FOBs then programed 2008 FOB as FOB1 and 2006 FOB as FOB2 and finally 2006 FOB2 as FOB3 at first the remote start would not work again I thought maybe I received a broken 2011 FOB. I restarted the car and then the 2008/2011 FOB worked. Here are some notes I am pretty sure you have to restart the car for the remote start to work with any new additional FOB. Note 2 the key from a 2006 will need to be machined to fit into the hidden key space in the 2008/2011 FOB.

I purchased a 2008 FOB off of Ebay for my 2006 STS. I followed the instruction below which I got from this forum. I reprogrammed the 2008 FOB as #1 and my 2006 FOB #2 as #2 and the #1 FOB as #3.

Success - My wife's 2007 1SE is not a brick! Both FOB's work fine. Previously posted procedures (and the Owners Manual) are essentially correct but not perfect. I'm sure I won't be either but here's my attempt:

There are three procedures based on your particular situation. Method 1 adds additional Transmitters (FOB's) when you have a known FOB. Method 2 adds FOB's when you have no known FOB's and one or more replacements (that have never been matched to your STS) in hand. Method 3 resets already known FOB(s) and allows up to 4 FOB's to be matched.

- Method 1 -

- Method 2 -
The Owners Manual contains this procedure but it is written such to suggest that the procedure pertains to Canadian owners. Based on my experience, it should work for US owners with no known FOB's needing to match one or more replacements. Please beware that the actual procedure may contain some small varience from the manual (see below) but is accurate enough to acheive success.

- Method 3 -
This procedure will first erase all known FOB's. The procedure will then program a single FOB or multiple FOB's. Like Method 2, Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good FOB's within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the vehicle recognizes a known good FOB during programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

2. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. (I left the door open throughout.)
5. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
10. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: NO FOBS RECOGNIZED. At this time all previously known FOB's have been erased. Then the DIC displays: READY FOR FOB 1.
11. Go get the FOB you want to be #1 and insert it in the FOB pocket. (According to a posting elsewhere on the STS Enthusiast Forum, new style square FOB's may need the key inserted in the FOB in order to be programmed.)
12. When FOB 1 is programmed, a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
14. Additional FOB's can be programmed by getting them and placing them in the pocket as prompted. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
15. If learning less than 4 FOB's, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
16. Press the 'Unlock' button on each FOB in sequence to finalize the FOB matching sequence.

Important! Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the Unlock button of each FOB programmed will result in that FOB being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is required to ensure transmitter operation.

AnthonyS
08-12-11, 04:57 PM
I am very interested in replacing my worn fob with an updated 08+ for my 07. I want to replace my #1 to the new fob, will I use method 1 to do this?

EChas3
08-12-11, 06:51 PM
To make a match a new fob as #1, use method 3.

The only difference is to ensure all known fobs are out of range. What could be written to make it more clear?

flyers7732
12-01-11, 06:29 PM
i purchased a 2008 sts key and it mated to my 06 sts just fine, had the key cut its not as wide as the regular key but it does still work.

bjherron123
01-06-13, 05:36 PM

- Method 1 -

- Method 2 -

- Method 3 -

just did this on my 07, worked perfectly! I had two 07 remotes, and I just added an 08 remote. The 08 is programmed as #1, 07 #2 as 2, and 07 #1 as 3.

Brian

Benjamin Simon
07-09-13, 12:36 AM
Do anyone know if this will work for a 2005 Sts? From what I have gathered after reading this tread is PN 25943676 should work.

EChas3
07-09-13, 01:11 AM
Mine does. The part number is too small to be sure about. I may have posted in this thread previously....

Ludacrisvp
07-09-13, 10:16 AM
my #1 08 fob p/n looks like
GM/S: 25854935

turnne
07-10-13, 09:13 AM

Its that expensive with all the upper end luxury cars

Part of that is to make it as "theft proof" as possible

I saw a list a few years ago where some one rated the hardest cars to steal

and not surprisingly it was a list of mostly $100K plus vehicles

They all have state of the art entry and theft prevention systems that would cost a fortune to "hack"...for any reason

Warren

MikesCaddy06
07-10-13, 10:38 PM
I own a 2006 STS4.....and i purchased the newer FOB. It does work, and can be programmed by yourself without taking a trip to the stealership. Just make sure you follow the reprogramming procedures exactly!! There is a sticky on this subject somewhere that i found to be very informative. MAKE SURE you get the one with the blank key in it. The DTS FOB will not work with the STS, some of the people on ebay can be misleading in their descriptions. The one you need has a small press button on the bottom that releases the key. good luck to you......