: 162 MPH And That's It!

1QUICKV
10-28-07, 09:56 PM
The best way to top it out is to start to building up speed in 6th gear and ride it until top end. Doing it from 5th to 6th sucks, because 6th can't handle the shift, i think. i don't know. I just wanted to let everyone know. I know it has been done before but now that i did'it i'm COOL.! Close track with a "professional" driver.

rblimas
10-28-07, 10:38 PM
163... you missed it by 1 mph lol

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/video/ctsvtopspeed.html

thebigjimsho
10-28-07, 11:24 PM
Redlined 5th at 163mph myself...

Mystical_Ice
10-29-07, 02:03 AM
just curious, what's the theoretical top-speed for our cars, at red-line, in 6th?

around what kind of power would we need to be able to redline 6th?

lunarx
10-29-07, 04:35 AM
just curious, what's the theoretical top-speed for our cars, at red-line, in 6th?

around what kind of power would we need to be able to redline 6th?

164 MPH @ 6500 RPM in 5th

246 MPH @ 6500 RPM in 6th

I don't see anyone redlining 6th without a jet engine mounted in the trunk.

Naf
10-29-07, 04:57 AM
164 MPH @ 6500 RPM in 5th

246 MPH @ 6500 RPM in 6th

I don't see anyone redlining 6th without a jet engine mounted in the trunk.

Its a matter of power to weight, the more power and less weight the faster you may go...

The more weight and less power the slower you will go...Shave off a few pounds and you will go faster.

I think its for every 10lb, 1hp used to thrust forward rather then carry the weight...

Think Japanese here guys think japanese...

V-Love
10-29-07, 05:26 AM
166mph. Stealth V.

There is a thread from waaay back where someone got into gear ratios, downforce, air slippage, cross winds, terminal velocity, and all kind of other math that I didn't understand. I searched around but couldn't find it. I think the theoretical top speed for the V is somewhere around 682 mph.

Naf
10-29-07, 05:35 AM
166mph. Stealth V.

There is a thread from waaay back where someone got into gear ratios, downforce, air slippage, cross winds, terminal velocity, and all kind of other math that I didn't understand. I searched around but couldn't find it. I think the theoretical top speed for the V is somewhere around 682 mph.

DAMN...you mean we could be close to the sound barrier? 721mph is the threshold for that....

You mean 382mph right?

CIWS
10-29-07, 08:07 AM
Hmmm, another thread and no video to show it.

Well this former V owner can actually show their car / driver made it passed 161mph :D

lCP7RqcQukw

Talk is cheap, video shows the deed. :thumbsup:

ctsv154
10-29-07, 08:11 AM
The V is the fastest thing in the world!!! I break the sound barrier everyday on my way work! Which is really handy because nobody hears me coming and by the time I get around them I'm so far gone they can never get my tag number! : )

ncCADDYman
10-29-07, 09:33 AM
162 mph!!! i would've soiled myself

rand49er
10-29-07, 10:08 AM
Stock engine, 6th gear, can pull to red line thus speed limited to 162-163 MPH.

Wonder what a maggie would allow in 6th gear ... :hmm:.

lunarx
10-29-07, 10:33 AM
I have a .7 6th gear.
It would give 197 at 6500 RPM.
I'd say 180+ at 6000 RPM is probably reachable with my set-up.
I don't see myself trying it though.

1QUICKV
10-29-07, 11:14 AM
I guess i did miss it by 1MPH. But what ever happen to the V? "The maximum allowed speed before fuel is shutoff is 175 mph."
"If the PCM detects possible oil starvation, it will limit the top speed to 168 mph."

I tell you i did 180 in my brothers blue 2007 ZO6 vette and thats a quick car.

I think i shifted out of 5th at 157mph a hair before redline in the v. and when i went into 6th the rpm's droped bad. so the next weekend i started in 6th and held it open. I went from 160mph....161mph..................162mph so then i let her relax. i didit want to push it to hard.

On an other note all a maggie is going to do is get you to the top speed quicker. it's not going to make the car go faster topend wise. The 427 will.

ZEUSROTTY
10-29-07, 11:22 AM
163... you missed it by 1 mph lol

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/video/ctsvtopspeed.html

uh me too... 6th isnt a power gear... just stay in 5th....

1QUICKV
10-29-07, 11:25 AM
uh me too... 6th isnt a power gear... just stay in 5th....

well if i stay in 5th it will only do about 157mph. but if you plan on doing 163mph then start in 6th gear. but you have to build up speed in 6th.

thebigjimsho
10-29-07, 11:59 AM
well if i stay in 5th it will only do about 157mph. but if you plan on doing 163mph then start in 6th gear. but you have to build up speed in 6th.Um, NO! 163 is redline in 5th gear. Reread post #3.

crankedupforit
10-29-07, 12:20 PM
Its a matter of power to weight, the more power and less weight the faster you may go...

The more weight and less power the slower you will go...Shave off a few pounds and you will go faster.

I think its for every 10lb, 1hp used to thrust forward rather then carry the weight...

Think Japanese here guys think japanese...

I think once you get it up past 140, pushing the air is what is the limiter to top end. That hot Bugatti that does 250 mph only needs about 240 hp to go 140 mph, the last 100 mph takes 750 more hp (car is rated at 1000hp). That a lot of wind to push out of the way.

Mystical_Ice
10-29-07, 12:43 PM
yeah our cars are pretty far from aerodynamic too...

rand49er
10-29-07, 12:49 PM
I think once you get it up past 140, pushing the air is what is the limiter to top end. ...That's right, weight has little to do with top speed ... the faster you go, the dominate resistance is in trying to push through the air. It's got to get out of the way, then close in again behind you all while you're whipping it into a frenzy.

My point about adding the maggie to an otherwise stock engine (LS6 or LS2) is that now you can stay in 6th gear and with the additional available torque at those higher RPMs, it should allow you to exceed that 163 MPH barrier. How much? ... don't know, maybe 175? ... but, like Ernie, I'm not about to give a try. :nono:

thebigjimsho
10-29-07, 01:04 PM
Or replace your cam and springs and raise the rev limiter and get into the 170s in 5th gear.

caddyv8v
10-29-07, 01:51 PM
can/does the ls2 pull as well on the top end as the ls6. just wondering since all the top end posts i have read involve the ls6 equipped v's. i am not starting a battle here, i was unclear if the ls2's (like mine) have the same top speed ability.

thebigjimsho
10-29-07, 02:21 PM
can/does the ls2 pull as well on the top end as the ls6. just wondering since all the top end posts i have read involve the ls6 equipped v's. i am not starting a battle here, i was unclear if the ls2's (like mine) have the same top speed ability.The truck motor may surprise you...

Scotty7751
10-29-07, 04:15 PM
:postpics:

StealthV
10-29-07, 04:28 PM
This thread is like a bunny stealing cookies.

Scotty7751
10-29-07, 04:35 PM
hahah thats good

Twitch
10-29-07, 09:20 PM
The best way to top it out is to start to building up speed in 6th gear and ride it until top end. Doing it from 5th to 6th sucks, because 6th can't handle the shift, i think. i don't know. I just wanted to let everyone know. I know it has been done before but now that i did'it i'm COOL.! Close track with a "professional" driver.

Where did you go? Not a lot of good roads around here, and the cops......

50 4Ever
10-29-07, 09:35 PM

I find it real hard to believe that the V will reach top speed in 6th. I know for a fact that my Corvette will not reach top speed in 6th, not even close. Fastest it will go in 6th is 147, and that is because it is drag limited (6th gear can't overcome the aerodynamic drag).

If you use a transmission calculator like this one (http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html) and put in the transmission ratios, 3.73 differential, stock tire size and a redline of 6500 you'll get top speeds in 1st thru 6th of 47, 69, 97, 138, 165, 243.

gergreg
10-29-07, 09:51 PM
Aye, I redlined it in 5th gear and the speedo read 163. :thumbsup:

1QUICKV
10-29-07, 10:02 PM
I find it real hard to believe that the V will reach top speed in 6th. I know for a fact that my Corvette will not reach top speed in 6th, not even close. Fastest it will go in 6th is 147, and that is because it is drag limited (6th gear can't overcome the aerodynamic drag).

If you use a transmission calculator like this one (http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html) and put in the transmission ratios, 3.73 differential, stock tire size and a redline of 6500 you'll get top speeds in 1st thru 6th of 47, 69, 97, 138, 165, 243.

Well like i said when i was in 5th gear last weekend the car went 157mph, i guess you can say it was the wind. i shifted into 6th and the rpms droped so the next weekend i start to build up speed in 6th so not to burn the clutch. are you trying to say that my car will go faster in 5th then in 6th?

Because when i was in 6th the rpm's were going up but not that fast, the speed was 160...161......162..161........162 and i gave up because if you pass a cop doing that speed in the day time no less, you will be getting arestted on the spot. wind does pay a role like everyone else says.

1QUICKV
10-29-07, 10:04 PM
Where did you go? Not a lot of good roads around here, and the cops......

ARE YOU A COP OR SOMETHING? Because if so i'm not telling you! Your not taking my V-fun away.

darkman
10-29-07, 10:15 PM
I think we need to have a V-meet at the Bonneville salt flats and settle all of these issues at one time.

tx_metabaron
10-29-07, 10:40 PM
I think we need to have a V-meet at the Bonneville salt flats and settle all of these issues at one time.

+2:sneaky:

Mystical_Ice
10-29-07, 11:26 PM

i think he meant "ride it out" in 6th as in, ride it till you can't go any faster (even though the RPMS will be relatively low)

V-Smooth
10-30-07, 02:47 AM
Would a good wax job (say 10-15 coats of zaino :burp:) make any difference? Maybe that will get you to 163? My clean V always seems to part the air a little better-lol feels like it anyway.

Bonneville sounds good though...or that open road race down in Nevada where they close off a big stretch of highway-dunno if they do that anymore and can't remember what it's called...

lunarx
10-30-07, 03:30 AM
Would a good wax job (say 10-15 coats of zaino :burp:) make any difference? ..

I guess they call you V-Smooth for a reason. :D

Bonneville sounds good though...or that open road race down in Nevada where they close off a big stretch of highway-dunno if they do that anymore and can't remember what it's called...

Silver State Classic Challenge (http://www.silverstateclassic.com/) :yup:

Boneville would be alot safer though.

Naf
10-30-07, 06:02 AM
Well like i said when i was in 5th gear last weekend the car went 157mph, i guess you can say it was the wind. i shifted into 6th and the rpms droped so the next weekend i start to build up speed in 6th so not to burn the clutch. are you trying to say that my car will go faster in 5th then in 6th?

Because when i was in 6th the rpm's were going up but not that fast, the speed was 160...161......162..161........162 and i gave up because if you pass a cop doing that speed in the day time no less, you will be getting arestted on the spot. wind does pay a role like everyone else says.

Its a power issue, the engine just doesnt have enought power at that rpm in 6th to push it past the speed. Hp is only how fast you will get up speed, and have torque is how much work it will do, if you lack in either you might as well get a pig to fly. Another issue is weight, if you are tryin to haul a ton of weight it starts to work against you when you factor in drag, friction and other variables.

Drag is like runnin with a cardboard plank in front of you
Weight is like runnin with a heavy bag on your back
Mixing both of them will lead you to havin a heart attack.

At first you dont feel or notice anything, but then when you pick up speed you notice it emencely...

CIWS
10-30-07, 08:26 AM
Build a poor man's RATO and stick a cluster of about 10 D estes rocket engines on the back. Just please make sure to have someone video tape it from the outside this time, we can always use a good laugh. :bouncy:

lobNxSbuv1k

rand49er
10-30-07, 09:06 AM
... Another issue is weight ...:nono: F=ma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion#Newton.27s_second_law:_law _of_acceleration)

Naf
10-30-07, 09:34 AM
Yes

Force = Mass x Acceleration

But we are not talkin about force, we are talkin about SPEED!!!

crankedupforit
10-30-07, 11:32 AM
Its a power issue, the engine just doesnt have enought power at that rpm in 6th to push it past the speed. Hp is only how fast you will get up speed, and have torque is how much work it will do, if you lack in either you might as well get a pig to fly. Another issue is weight, if you are tryin to haul a ton of weight it starts to work against you when you factor in drag, friction and other variables.

Drag is like runnin with a cardboard plank in front of you
Weight is like runnin with a heavy bag on your back
Mixing both of them will lead you to havin a heart attack.

At first you dont feel or notice anything, but then when you pick up speed you notice it emencely...

You need that HP to overcome drag at high speed not weight. In fact the rolling resistance of a 4000lb car and a 6000lb car are insignificant compared to drag when you reach very high speed. I would submit that a heavier aerodynamic car would top out higher than a lighter less aero car even though they have the same HP.

CIWS
10-30-07, 11:59 AM
:nono: F=ma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion#Newton.27s_second_law:_law _of_acceleration)

and we all know some drivers have mass of the ass :D

;)

fredcook
10-30-07, 01:03 PM
Sooo... just for grins... what's the fastest anyone has run their V on a dyno?

darkman
10-30-07, 01:16 PM
Sooo... just for grins... what's the fastest anyone has run their V on a dyno?

Zero mph, assuming the straps hold.

Mystical_Ice
10-30-07, 01:38 PM
someone better factor in the momentum that a 4000lb car would have

fredcook
10-30-07, 02:38 PM
Zero mph, assuming the straps hold.

:) I didn't think someone would catch that so quickly...

rand49er
10-30-07, 03:05 PM
Yes

Force = Mass x Acceleration

But we are not talkin about force, we are talkin about SPEED!!!Weight is a factor only to the extent that you are changing speed (accelerating) with respect to time. If we have all day to get there, acceleration approaches zero hence weight becomes unimportant as it relates to the force required. I will grant you that weight does affect rolling resistance. But, no matter how you slice it/explain it/blog about it, aerodynamics by far dominates at the speeds and weights we're talking about, NOT weight.

I can't believe I'm explaining high school physics here. :banghead:

crankedupforit
10-30-07, 03:13 PM
Weight is a factor only to the extent that you are changing speed (accelerating) with respect to time. If we have all day to get there, acceleration approaches zero hence weight becomes unimportant as it relates to the force required. I will grant you that weight does affect rolling resistance. But, no matter how you slice it/explain it/blog about it, aerodynamics by far dominates at the speeds and weights we're talking about, NOT weight.

I can't believe I'm explaining high school physics here. :banghead:

And you only need to look at NASCAR and Formula 1 to to confirm what Randy has pointed out. Most gains in top speed have been a result of wind tunnel testing and aerodynamic design.

thebigjimsho
10-30-07, 05:25 PM
someone better factor in the momentum that a 4000lb car would haveNo...

rand49er
10-30-07, 06:31 PM
Technically, momentum is rotational inertia as in a spinning wheel (with a finite mass).

If you're talking inertia, that is a resistance to a change in speed with respect to time (i.e. acceleration).

Oh, here I go again! :bonkers:

The Tony Show
10-30-07, 06:38 PM
My V is teh fazt.

50 4Ever
10-30-07, 06:46 PM
Technically, momentum is rotational inertia as in a spinning wheel (with a finite mass).

If you're talking inertia, that is a resistance to a change in speed with respect to time (i.e. acceleration).

Oh, here I go again! :bonkers:

We're talking linear momentum here, not angular momentum, which is a (as in one) measure of the motion of a body equal to the product of mass and velocity. :thepan:

:yawn:

V-Smooth
10-30-07, 10:01 PM
I guess they call you V-Smooth for a reason. :D

:thumbsup: i have many addictions, zaino is one of them

Anyone know what type of drag coefficient our V's have? I remember old Saab commercials in the late 90s early 00s mentioning the 9-3 or 9-5 having a drag coefficient of .29? I'm guessing the V is somewhere in the .3 range, possibly higher?

I have to believe it's a combination of things as others have mentioned...hp, gearing, then drag at higher speeds...the big three. It cant be just hp because your gears will limit your mph thus tapping redline. If you've got big hp it just means you'll get to 163 or 175 a lot quicker...gears will limit your top end. I've spent many hours on the ps2 playing GT4 and tuning gear ratios. Find the happy medium. Hope that made sense, it's been a long day.

:alchi:

StealthV
10-30-07, 10:37 PM
One doesn't hit a magic barrier at 163 because of gear ratio; it is simply takes more power.

Cd = 0.31

rand49er
10-30-07, 11:16 PM
One doesn't hit a magic barrier at 163 because of gear ratio; it is simply takes more power.

Cd = 0.31:yeah:

And I believe it's sort of coincidental that the V hits redline in 5th at 163 MPH and that same maximum speed (i.e. 163) is all you can muster in 6th gear, too, because torque is falling off too much to pull against the increasing wind resistance. A modded V with more power should be able to exceed 163 in 6th ... the question is how much?

:horse:

StealthV
10-30-07, 11:19 PM

darkman
10-30-07, 11:26 PM

Does that mean that there is a magic barrier at 168?

StealthV
10-30-07, 11:45 PM
Yes. Beyond that time goes backwards.

darkman
10-30-07, 11:54 PM

Good, it is all settled now, and I am no longer confused by all the physics stuff.

Scotty7751
10-30-07, 11:59 PM

sweet dude! but what about 88 MPH thats is the speed in the space time continum.... now i am getting confused..... but at 168 when time goes backwards you have to watch out for all those reversing cars.

OldRoadDawg
10-31-07, 12:01 AM
Does that happen with... or without the StealthV tune???
Just an 'old' guy askin' :hmm:

StealthV
10-31-07, 12:38 AM
In the end it all comes down to the color of the flux capacitor. My preference is green although some say blue has more torque and red is faster.

SkullV
10-31-07, 12:40 AM
In the end it all comes down to the color of the flux capacitor. My preference is green although some say blue has more torque and red is faster.

We convinced one of the brothers in our fraternity house that the flux capacitor was broken and he should go to alumni with a proposal for a new one!:cookoo:

thebigjimsho
10-31-07, 12:39 PM
One of these days I'll have Rick tune my V up. Raise the rev limiter to 7200rpm and we'll see if we can hit 172.