: best way to detail engine

cerberus
04-28-04, 03:45 PM
What is the best way to detail a 97 eldorado engine ?

Thanks

JJhomer83
04-28-04, 03:50 PM
What is the best way to detail a 97 eldorado engine ?

Thanks

Buy a new one!!! :histeric:

I use a rag with soap and water and go to town other then that nothing really special

cerberus
04-28-04, 04:21 PM
What about engine gunk ?

JJhomer83
04-28-04, 04:31 PM
What about engine gunk ?

if its really bad then ill take some simple green with water and scrub it. Some times ill break out the old tooth brush

oildrip
04-28-04, 04:34 PM
Well, people may say it's a bad idea but...I just made under my hood look factory new buy steam cleaning it. I used gunk to loosen things up, then gave her a blast. Then I used high pressure air to blow of any extra water, and then blasted everything with Tire Wet shine crap junk.....let it sit for about 30 mins just to be sure, and started her up...no problems what so ever. Looks super sweet & clean. I've also done this same thing with my Trans Am and have never had any problems.

JJhomer83
04-28-04, 04:43 PM
Well, people may say it's a bad idea but...I just made under my hood look factory new buy steam cleaning it. I used gunk to loosen things up, then gave her a blast. Then I used high pressure air to blow of any extra water, and then blasted everything with Tire Wet shine crap junk.....let it sit for about 30 mins just to be sure, and started her up...no problems what so ever. Looks super sweet & clean. I've also done this same thing with my Trans Am and have never had any problems.

by any odd chance do you happen to have before and after pics

oildrip
04-28-04, 04:45 PM
here's how it looks a few weeks later, sorry about the fuzziness...I've been drinking again.

sorry, no before pics...

Eldo1953
04-28-04, 06:48 PM
Moving to detailing board...

brougham
04-28-04, 07:01 PM
You can also do a search for this because it's come up a few times before with some good ways about doing it.

Welcome to the forum!

hcvone
04-28-04, 07:15 PM
I use Simple Green and a lot of rags, once you spend the time and get it clean a monthly wipedown will keep it looking good, I use a quick detailer to keep it looking good. :)

NoFear365@yahoo.com
04-28-04, 07:52 PM
LOL, I thought you guys were breaking my chops when I saw this thread. Whether anyone here saw my previous posts or not, I detailed my engine over the weekend and basically put my car out of commission for 2 1/2 days! After dousing my engine with water to rinse off the gunk remover, I somehow managed to get water down to the plugs. WHen I started the car, the SES light came on and then started to blink! Panic set in! After 4 new coils and a new coil control module, we discovered that 4 water soaked spark plugs were the culprits. No electrical damage was done nor did I loose any sensors. I guess it's time for new wires though... water should never have gone past the boots. Oh well, you live and learn I guess! Have fun washing your engine. If you want, I can post some pics... My motor looks BRAND NEW!

hcvone
04-28-04, 08:12 PM
Well that will work too :crying2: :crying2: :helpless:

oildrip
04-28-04, 08:20 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that NoFear365, that sounds strange though. Water around the plug boot should not cause your engine to not start, maybe run rough and skip but only untill the heads heat up and dry things up. It would seem that the electrons would follow the path of least resistance, which would be through the plug and not across a silicone sheath and water. Not calling you a lier, just wondering if your mechanic took you to the cleaners! I've had cracked wires before which were arcing out and causing a rough idle but never a no start. I've powerwashed under my hood on many sports cars (partner in an auto detailing shop in Shrewsbury, ma "Top Notch Detailing") We would always blast under the hoods of fuel injected cars with no problems...I'm thinking that maybe some other sensor or solinoid was wet and needed some time to dry out...or I could be totaly wrong...:p Did the car start right up after replacing the plugs and wires...?

NoFear365@yahoo.com
04-29-04, 10:42 AM
Occording to the mechanic, he found it funny that I was able to install the coil control mod and 4 coils with no prob but couldn't figure out that I had water soaked plugs (according to him). He didn't charge me for the water removal (which intailed using a clean shop towel to absorb everything). The coil control mod and 4 coils were my idea. My old module had crack in it. I just assumed that was the prob because water HAD to have gotten in there. I got the coil control module and 4 coils on ebay for only 125 which was a great bargin (as opposed to the 675 my local caddy dealer wanted!). Like I said, you live and learn.

Robert Brandtjen
05-02-04, 01:36 PM
wax it once it's clean and it will be easier to keep clean in the future.

NoFear365@yahoo.com
05-02-04, 02:06 PM
Yeah, you're right about that. My father and I just picked up the new Premium Turtle Wax. Though it is Tutle Wax, it's very different from regular Tutle Wax and it's actually one of the best waxes I've ever used. It ran only 7 bucks!!! It made my White Diamond paint look like glass and really brought out a DEEP shine in my fathers Polo Green.

Jesda
05-03-04, 08:56 AM
But a bottle of Formula 2001 at WalMart, Autozone, or OReilly, and then follow the instructions. You basically spray it on while the engine is warm/hot, let it sit there, idle for a while, then spray it off. It works great and the engine bay seems to stay clean longer.

byrd
05-03-04, 10:48 PM
couple cans of degreaser, pressure washer and a can od cd-2 engine detailer, very satisfied with that product