: 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

frmg0014
10-26-07, 07:24 AM
Hey Guys! I recently test drove a 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport at a Used Car Dealership. A very nice looking car with all the toys of a luxury vehicle! Anyways, I noticed the Check Engine light was on during the Test Drive. Didn't notice any abnormalities in terms of the car's performance or overall feel during the Test Drive. I really liked the car and I wanted to purchase it. I told the guy that the Check Engine Light was lit during my Test Drive. I know they had this car parked for a while since it's been on their advertisement for a long time. They guy said it will be taken care of which is a requirement in order to pass Emission/Smog Testing. He later told me (after leaving his office for a brief moment to speak to the Mechanic) that it was the ABS.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the ABS have a separate light?? Now I'm worried that the dealer is not trustworthy!

rinverso
10-26-07, 09:27 AM
a untrustworthy dealer!! say it ain't so.:lildevil: yes the abs is separate, and remember the dealer can clear the codes and engine light very easily. it doesn't mean that the car has a major problem though. but do your research.
robert:confused:
great looking car, insn't it??

yellowxhoodie
10-26-07, 12:24 PM
even if they clear the code, you should take it to your local garage that YOU trust and have them check it out for you. The dealer also ripped me off, they had gotten the Catera the day before i came in and it had not even been inspected yet. One salesman told me i could buy it for $5,000 and i was stoked cuz it was a 2000 with only 47,000 miles. So the next day i came back and the manager of the sales dept. was like "no that a mistake, thats how much we bought it for, we were gonna sell it for 10,000." So we said to bad, thats what you said, thats what i want it for, i ended up getting it for $6,000, but almost 7 after Tax, Title, and Liscnese stuff. I noticed a burning smell when i took it for a test drive, they said it was a plastic bag stuck on the exhaust and it was burning off, i stupidly trusted them, turned out there was some oil issuses, and i had to get the head gaskets and valve covers replaced and removed shorty after buying the car. I learned my lesson. NEVER trust the
STDEALER

frmg0014
10-26-07, 04:16 PM
Guys, is there a way for us to determine what is the cause of the Check Engine Light? My old car, you would cycle the KEY to on-off, on-off position, which in return will make the Check Engine Light flash a certain number of times which would indicate what the code means (from a diagram).

Do you guys also have a list of codes on the site?

Thanks in advance.

elvin315
10-26-07, 05:36 PM
Guys, is there a way for us to determine what is the cause of the Check Engine Light? My old car, you would cycle the KEY to on-off, on-off position, which in return will make the Check Engine Light flash a certain number of times which would indicate what the code means (from a diagram).

Not that I know of but I'm no expert. The Omegas come with a LCD display. They perform something they call a paperclip test to pull the codes. I just installed a ScanGauge II to be able to read the codes and clear them. It also tells you the MPG, Charging Voltage, Coolant Temp, and stuff I haven't read up on yet. Cost me $160 but well worth it.

For a list of OBD2 codes I'm using this one until I find something better.
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2p.html#pow

Elvin

yellowxhoodie
10-26-07, 06:45 PM
wow. when the hell was your last car made. thats sounds like some model-t stuff. all new car are eqiuped with OBD systems. Take it to Autozone or your local auto store, and have them run an OBD test on it

elvin315
10-26-07, 07:35 PM
wow. when the hell was your last car made. thats sounds like some model-t stuff. all new car are eqiuped with OBD systems. Take it to Autozone or your local auto store, and have them run an OBD test on it

Easy does it. No need to sound condescending. We're all friends here.

Elvin

yellowxhoodie
10-26-07, 09:18 PM
haha. sorry, didnt meant o sound hostile. just a little joke, guess it was a little harsh, sorry. check this site out for a lil help.
http://www.obd-codes.com/

rinverso
10-26-07, 10:27 PM
haha. sorry, didnt meant o sound hostile. just a little joke, guess it was a little harsh, sorry. check this site out for a lil help.
http://www.obd-codes.com/

typical teenager:tisk:

yellowxhoodie
10-27-07, 12:04 PM
yea, i can be that way sometimes. sorry again. didnt mean to offend anyone, im not that bad of a person