: New here, looking for basic upgrades

OneFastCaddy
10-26-07, 02:13 AM
hey guys i just joined the forum

i currently own a gti mkv and my dad is planning to get the 09 v, sell my gti and give me his 05 v [im gonna have to pay the difference of course]

anyways, i was just wondering what are the recommended upgrades for this car. i know the uuc shifter is a must, but other then that, what would you guys recommmend, expecially to get rid of that damn wheel hop

thanks

lunarx
10-26-07, 05:24 AM
You are right about the UUC

These are good upgrades also:

CAGS (Skip Shift) Eliminator
Performance Wheel Alignment
FG2 Shocks
Specter Works Cradle Bushings

Thats all I ever did on my previous 04 (except for UUC & SW Bush) and I was happy.
Not that I did not have mods piling up waiting to go on.
Just never felt anything else was urgent.

Enjoy the V :D

rand49er
10-26-07, 07:50 AM
Wheelhop?!! What do you know about wheelhop in your dad's car?!!

Just kidding ... :D.

Ernie's right. A CAGS eliminator and shifter are mandatory. Be sure to get the UUC bushings, as well. I have the Specter Werkes bushings but have never side-stepped the clutch to notice just how much they reduce wheelhop ... I'm sure they do, though (I have not experienced wheelhop since I installed them a year ago).

However, after that (and rather than just getting the alignment and shocks), IMHO you need to ask yourself what's most important to you and how much money do you want to commit to mods then prioritize.

My $0.02.

dqw1
10-26-07, 10:35 AM
After doing what was mentioned above: headers, exhaust and a good tune.

OneFastCaddy
10-26-07, 07:59 PM
sweet thanks

any specific companies for headers, coils, etc.? also what kindof gains can i expect from a chip? i don't expect much, but im thinkin 10-15hp since it's a naturally aspirated engine

i'm commited to spending as much as possible on it. my gti has a few upgrades and is getting some more around christmas. my parents actually get pissed at me cuz ive been putting so much into the car haha

edit: oh and it already has a corsa catback

Luna.
10-26-07, 08:29 PM
Agree on the UUC, but absolutely, positively pass on the CAGS eliminator and get a good tune, which not only gives a noticable increase in performance, but also removes the CAGS as well. It's a very simple "click here to shut off" type of thing.

Other mods to consider might include:

--KARS III kits (then again, I'm not 100% sure Doug is still making these; this helps with the wheelhop)
--CTS Armrest (you actually get some additional storage space)
--Hotchkis sway bars (help you not roll as much)
--FG2 shocks (some say the shocks overpower the springs, but this is primarily an issue only when hitting potholes & such in hard, sweeping turns)
--Tint (self explanatory)
--Rims (not a lot of options, but you can always chrome the stockers like I did! :D)

That's all I can think of in terms of "basic" upgrades. Some might even not be considered basic. Other upgrades, say like a supercharger, don't really strike me as basic.

Hope that helps.

CTSV_Rob
10-26-07, 08:41 PM
Don't believe you can just chip the car but StealthV will be able to set you up with a nice Tune. BTW, if you go that route then you don't need the CAG's eliminator, the tune will take care of this.

Since you have the Corsa exhaust already then the Kooks are probably the hot setup for you. I have the B&B's and I am really happy with them but Kooks makes a setup that will bolt right up with the Corsa I think. Hopefully someone will chime in on this one.

- Shifter and Bushings must be done
- Get to know Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (a V owners Best friend)
- Go to the CadillacFaq.com and follow the first ten things you must do!

- Clear Fog's
- Tinted Side markers
- GM Accessory wheels (Don't think I would do them again if I had to do over)
http://ctsv-rob.zoints.com/image/72170-js800_CTSV_Oct07

Think I will stop there, see my sig for other things I have done. Don't know what you consider basic but I am really starting to enjoy the car with the mod's to this point.

Man, your asking the wrong crowd, this could get you into trouble!

rand49er
10-26-07, 11:03 PM
A maggie basic? Hell yes!

Shifter, nuff said.

You know, instead of Hotchkis (which I would ordinarily say yes to wholeheartedly), Luke at Lindsay Cadillac has those racing anti-sway bar sets right now (see current thread) that I'd go for if I didn't already have the Hots.

A StealthV tune is basic IMHO. This is "the chip" you're talking about. As stated above, gets rid of the lame skip-shift feature and does an overall improvement in response among other things.

You've got a sport exhaust, so now you can think about headers and hi-flo cats. Kooks is somewhere around $1.4k+ and gives you a little hp plus the car sounds like it should've in the first place outta the factory, but there're others including B&B, Stainless Works, etc.

A Ground Control kit will lower you just a bit and really looks MUCH better.

KARS kits are tough to come across now that they're not being made anymore, but that would be a nice addition for diff protection.

Any time you can improve the volumetric efficiency of an internal combustion engine, you're better off. Though pricey, a Magnuson supercharger can be had for as low as $3k for a used one (if you can find one for that) up to just over $6k for a new one. It should add around 120 hp, but what's nice is that the added torque starts down low and feels so-o-o nice. If you've got the bucks, I consider it "basic" though as you've already read, not all consider it "basic."

As far as flywheels and clutches, there're a few of these as well including Trexalia (spelled wrong) and Z06 (need a TPIS spacer to make it work). A lighter flywheel will provide quicker throttle response; UUC makes one. This is an area I'm weak in, so others may indeed be better than I in recommending options here.

What else? Oh, slotted rotors, Hawk pads, and tires ... oh, man, tires ... don't even want to go there. :hide:

CTSV_Rob
10-26-07, 11:07 PM
^^ See what I mean???

CTSV_Rob
10-26-07, 11:10 PM
You know, instead of Hotchkis (which I would ordinarily say yes to wholeheartedly), Luke at Lindsay Cadillac has those racing anti-sway bar sets right now (see current thread) that I'd go for if I didn't already have the Hots.

I'm thinking about these and I already have the Hotchkis bars! Might be able to give you a good deal on a pair if I loose my mind for a little while. Holding back but not doing so well right now, I sure Hope Luke Doesn't do a Saturday sale tomorrow!

StealthV
10-27-07, 12:33 AM
Aren't you supposed to be out in the V right now running from cops?

CTSV_Rob
10-27-07, 03:35 AM
Funny you mention that, I got the computer back in the car and start it up.

Saw 2 cops and no ticket.

I am going to start a new thread with the details...

Now, back to the thread - DO NOT MESS AROUND get a StelthV Tune! If the LS6 tune is as good as the LS2 tune (He has more time to dial this one in) it will be bad A$$!!!!!! This IS the basic upgrade that every V should have. I have been without for a year and it should have been my first mod!

OneFastCaddy
10-29-07, 04:44 AM
A maggie basic? Hell yes!

Shifter, nuff said.

A StealthV tune is basic IMHO. This is "the chip" you're talking about. As stated above, gets rid of the lame skip-shift feature and does an overall improvement in response among other things.

You've got a sport exhaust, so now you can think about headers and hi-flo cats. Kooks is somewhere around $1.4k+ and gives you a little hp plus the car sounds like it should've in the first place outta the factory, but there're others including B&B, Stainless Works, etc.

A Ground Control kit will lower you just a bit and really looks MUCH better.

KARS kits are tough to come across now that they're not being made anymore, but that would be a nice addition for diff protection.

Any time you can improve the volumetric efficiency of an internal combustion engine, you're better off. Though pricey, a Magnuson supercharger can be had for as low as $3k for a used one (if you can find one for that) up to just over $6k for a new one. It should add around 120 hp, but what's nice is that the added torque starts down low and feels so-o-o nice. If you've got the bucks, I consider it "basic" though as you've already read, not all consider it "basic."

As far as flywheels and clutches, there're a few of these as well including Trexalia (spelled wrong) and Z06 (need a TPIS spacer to make it work). A lighter flywheel will provide quicker throttle response; UUC makes one. This is an area I'm weak in, so others may indeed be better than I in recommending options here.

What else? Oh, slotted rotors, Hawk pads, and tires ... oh, man, tires ... don't even want to go there. :hide:

thanks for the super informational post. im gonna try to convince my dad to get some stuff done to it now [intake, tune, shifter] so he can have a more pleasant driving experience, plus itd save me $$ haha.

OneFastCaddy
10-29-07, 04:55 AM
Aren't you supposed to be out in the V right now running from cops?

well im not allowed to take it out on a regular basis quite yet being as im not insured on the car until we sell the gti, which is when the 09 v comes out. im asking a bit early, but i like to get a general idea of what i should do before getting it. ive always been more into the audi/vw scene, so im not well educated on american cars

lunarx
10-29-07, 10:43 AM
well im not allowed to take it out on a regular basis quite yet being as im not insured on the car until we sell the gti, which is when the 09 v comes out. im asking a bit early, but i like to get a general idea of what i should do before getting it. ive always been more into the audi/vw scene, so im not well educated on american cars
After this car, you won't even look at Audi/VW anymore. :p

As far as what to do while waiting for the V, take a High Performance Driving School (in the GTI).
That is far and away your best mod and it will transfer over to the V along with you. :D
Believe it or not, you will be a 10 times safer driver after that (yes, a bit faster too).

OneFastCaddy
10-30-07, 12:08 AM
haha says the guy with the mallett!

and im acting gonna be doing a driving school this summer with a buddy

lunarx
10-30-07, 12:25 AM
haha says the guy with the mallett!

Congrats on that decision. :thumbsup:
After that, you will be in the elite category of mods.

Alex_V
10-30-07, 12:43 AM

Best mod mentioned so far. Car is only as good as a nut behing the wheel.

V-Love
10-30-07, 08:38 AM
hey guys i just joined the forum

my dad is planning to get the 09 v, sell my gti and give me his 05 v [im gonna have to pay the difference of course]

thanks

Your dads cool.
Best upgrade I can think of....join a car club, get to the track, and learn how to drive fast when your not going straight.
Oh yeah, welcome aboard!