: Remember back so long ago when I got a new rear end?

ZEUSROTTY
10-25-07, 11:48 PM
Well its back in getting another one. This ones clutch was grinding? Thats the vibration I was getting at all speeds, and the grinding I was getting around turns... And to think it was only 4 months ago that they installed the last one....

rand49er
10-26-07, 08:43 AM
Seems like there's a few likely possibilities (though there may be others) ... did you run it hard those four months? ... or, did the dealer do something wrong in the install (e.g. bad pinion seal) ... or, did they not put in the additive?

keeksv
10-26-07, 09:30 AM
They screwed up one or more of the seals during the install I'm betting.

Was there any fluid left in the rear?

darkman
10-26-07, 09:46 AM
There is a TSB dealing with the clutches which involves soaking the clutches in the additive. It is my understanding that omitting the additive to begin with does not necessarily result in permanent damage to the clutches and that the TSB procedure will restore clutches that have operated without the additive. This is becuase the additive makes the fluid less slippery and its absence does not leave the clutches without lubrication.

Obviously, with a whole new unit it no longer matters, but I am curious as to whether the dealer tried the TSB procedure first, or simply declared the whole unit DOA.

Jon
10-26-07, 10:24 AM
Remember back so long ago when I got a new rear end?

You manly man you, getting new ass all the time....

Oh wait, not THAT rear end.

1QUICKV
10-26-07, 05:52 PM
Mine did a grind, but i put the additive in and it stopped. I would try it, unless you want a new rear/.

ZEUSROTTY
10-27-07, 03:30 AM
No it wasnt catastrophic failure, and no I did not beat on it half as much as the one before it that lasted 39,000 miles... He also said the bmr pinion support was the reason, yet they were the ones that put it back on the last time the rear went. I am betting it was install error... I had it in not to long ago for the grinding and they said it was the pinion support rubbing on the underside of the car... I didnt believe it for a second, and now this. Along with yet another radiator, and another sail panel... Seriously... WTF... That pinion support helps sooooo much... They are saying its too tight now... That the support is making it too tight... WHAT?

ZEUSROTTY
10-27-07, 03:32 AM
Mine did a grind, but i put the additive in and it stopped. I would try it, unless you want a new rear/.

They are replacing it already... I just hope its done tomorrow... I am going to the track to kick the shit outa my friends gtp... He thinks its fast.