: twin rear turbo vette??

theloanman219
10-25-07, 10:07 PM
there are a couple of younger rice type guys that are in some of my classes. the say that there is a older guy here in Cape Coral that has a newer vette and it has a twin turbo system. the kicker is that it is a rear setup. has anyone ever heard of doing that? and what is the advantage?

Gene

benelliwang
10-25-07, 10:37 PM
Yes there are rear mounted turbo set ups out there and the key advantage is that it is way cheaper to make especially if you how. The key disadvantage is that it is slightly laggie compared to front mount turbo systems. However, that is an issue with poorly designed systems which can happens to front mount and rear mounted systems. With properly designed systems & our much larger displacement compared to 2.0 liter turbo cars, there really isn't lag.

My best friend has been doing that on several cars for the past years and here are two key examples:

This example has been rear turbo charged for 3 years. Daily driver with A/C and race weight of 3900lbs and did 10.382 @ 132.22 [1.581 60']. It has stock heads, stock cam, used forged pistons & rods, 3 speed auto, & a 9" rear. The Density Altitude in the video that night was around 4800 feet above sea level with 91 oct gas mixed with some 100 oct. No fancy C16 or 116 oct race gas here.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/biffallstar/STREET%20WARS%20VIDS/th_ZOMBIESS.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/biffallstar/STREET%20WARS%20VIDS/?action=view&current=ZOMBIESS.flv)

In 2006, he built a Camaro with a completely stock LS1 original short block with ported heads and did: 10.206 @ 133.26 [1.505 60'] with a stand alone computer. That is pusing it with a stock ls1 engine it didn't goto a dyno but we figure it was hitting around 800hp to get that kind of time here in Vegas.

Right now he is building my rear mounted twin turbo set up for my corvette. We are not hoping for 700rwhp on pump gas. Yes it will be my daily driver one it is done.

bleeee
10-25-07, 10:52 PM
sts turbo is what the kits called look em up.

Slapshot
10-25-07, 10:57 PM
STS has a remote set up Turbocharger system. The FAQ's page has all the answers regarding lag and water ingestion...

There have been video's posted here and on Youtube. It's pretty cool but I would miss the Burble, rumble and pop of the V-8 exhaust. With the remote system all you hear is a WHOOOOOOSH and the cat fly's by you like you're standing still...

http://www.ststurbo.com/c6_corvette_

jimbjr
01-31-08, 07:47 AM
there are a couple of younger rice type guys that are in some of my classes. the say that there is a older guy here in Cape Coral that has a newer vette and it has a twin turbo system. the kicker is that it is a rear setup. has anyone ever heard of doing that? and what is the advantage?

Gene

I have one.
2004 Z06 with an STS rear turbo setup. Run 10 lbs of boost at 600 rwhp, it's a blast!

Jim

RunningOnEMT
01-31-08, 07:56 AM
pretty cool shit ....enough piping that you dont need an intercooler

jimbjr
01-31-08, 07:58 AM
There is a large front mount intercooler that came with the kit.
NO heat problems at all!