: Any Original Owners Out There!!!

rinverso
10-25-07, 10:30 PM
Being a cat lover, even though there have been problems. and after seeing the average age of the owners who replied to the owner age post. i'm really interested to see if we have any original owners out there still. i think that is the true test of the value of this car.

please reply if you are an original owner and the model year you own. and maybe a general overview of you cat experience.
thanks, robert:annoyed:

rinverso
10-26-07, 10:35 PM
its been one day, and no original owners out there. this is not a good sign!!:hide:

investor74
10-26-07, 11:45 PM
I am an original owner of a '97 Forrest Green Catera. We took delivery on November 13, 1996, so we are coming up on 11 years with our Caddy that Zigs! We have about '95K.

The car still looks sharp inside and out. Sometimes when I see it in the parking lot, I can remember why I bought it 11 years ago. I just think it is a real head-turner.

We had a lot of reliability problems at first, since we had one of the first Cateras ever built. It has actually been getting more reliable with age, and haven't had much trouble with it lately at all. I also talked to a neighbor who has a '98 original owner and he hasn't had much trouble either.

Some of the second or third owners here have had so much trouble that I wonder if their car had been maintained at all by their first owners, or maybe their car had been in a flood or something.

Barry

Barry

elvin315
10-27-07, 12:10 AM
Some of the second or third owners here have had so much trouble that I wonder if their car had been maintained at all by their first owners, or maybe their car had been in a flood or something.

Barry

That's the key. You can't treat this car like a Chevette. Maintenance is critical. Oil and filters are cheap. Only 40,000 miles on the timing belt. Clean the crankcase breather. Check the coolant for oil regularly. Stuff like that. This is a great car with a bad rep. It does more than its share of issues but if you stay on top of things it will last as long as you want it to.

Elvin

rinverso
10-27-07, 08:26 PM
ok, one original owner in two days.....not good.:sneaky:

texanwitharake
10-28-07, 02:47 PM
in a way im an origional owner mine was bought by my grandfather before he went into the hospital it sat and then i got it when he passed. its a 2000 got i with 12k 2 1/2 years ago now its at 45k only problems ive had was the radiator went out about 3k ago and a control valve went out about a year ago

Lawrence_C
10-28-07, 04:45 PM
Original Owner: November 1998

51K Miles

2001sport
10-30-07, 12:12 PM
Original owner of a 2001 Sport - purchased in September '01. My brother-in-law works for GM, so the family discount played into our decision.

Currently at 52k. Had some warranty work done (leaking coolant, replaced a warped windshield) but nothing too major. Other than that, most of the money dumped into the car has been routine maintenance (oil changes, new tires around 40k, front brakes, fuel filter, timing belt a few months ago). I did replace the MAF to clear a CEL, and I've had an IP light out for some time but have been too lazy to replace it.

Still runs great (knock on wood) and looks near-new, esp. the interior. I have noticed some thin lines of rust along the inside of the rear door frames, but nothing visible on the exterior (yet). Hoping to hold onto this one for another 6 yrs.

jrhartman
11-02-07, 11:20 AM
ok, one original owner in two days.....not good.:sneaky:

fwiw: most original cadillac owners don't own them for 10 years...they trade them in for newer ones

Aleksus
11-03-07, 12:23 AM
that's right

dpligocki
11-12-07, 03:30 PM
I am the original owner of a 2001 Sport...

dpligocki
11-12-07, 03:45 PM
I have owned my 2001 sport since new. It had the oil cooler seal done under warranty. I replaced the tires at 52000kms and just put new front brake pads on the car at 68000kms. I have always done routine maintenance and I store the car in the winter. The car still feels like the day I bought and this summer I took it from Ontario to BC and back and the car did not flinch or consume one drop of oil. I am more please with my car than some of my friends who own newer camrys.

I do not plan on selling my car because I like it so much. I find as long as the owner knows about the quirks the car may have if they have not already been fixed (on older models mainly) and stay on top of them, the Catera is an excellent driving car. If people who criticized them actually took the time to read about them in from European articles and what not, I think they would see that most ppl in Europe are pleased with the car. Also there are few luxury cars the do not have problems. I love Jags, and Bimmers and Volvos, and Saabs, but all of them have quirks to! Electrical, drivetrain, powertrain etc... Saabs have oil sludge related engine failure (as due many toyotas and some VWs) jags and volvos had many electrical problems. Range Rovers can be a nightmare, and even bimmer has had the odd engine problem and electronic issue. The list goes on. I think if ppl want to complain about a car then they should perhaps by a civic or an accord, because they are reliable but in my opinion they just dont have the character of a Catera. Its all about personal preference and if you are a true driving enthusiast most ppl would understand that a car is meant to be taken care of, and they are not perfect. I have yet to find a car that is aside from (maybe) some hondas lol! and Heck, even the odyssey had a statement saying their trannies had a flaw.

As for my car all six years have been a pleasure. I have the only one in town and I get nothing but compliments on it.

-Dave

bobbarker
11-15-07, 06:38 PM
I have a '98 Catera with 289K on it and have experienced many of the problems mentioned on this forum. I paid my car off more than six years ago, Fixing the car is still less expensive than purchasing a new car, plus I write-off 80% of my expenses. The fact I change my oil at the beginning of each month is probably why my car runs as quiet as a new car. My next repair job is replacing the rotors and headlights, I'll purchase the parts on EBay. I love driving this car and will keep it as long as I can, it's in mint condition.

dwheeler
11-27-07, 01:43 AM
I bought mt 97 new & still own it. It's been through all of the major problems. I probably average $1,500 per dealer visit. It's just about to push me over the brink to get rid of it. I'm hoping it will stay alive until the new Dodge Challenger comes out. When it does, bye-bye baby!

It has been a nice car overall, just too expensive to maintain. It has also been the only car that I've ever had that I didn't modify in some fashion.

Merckx
12-05-07, 09:59 PM
I've had my 2001 since new. It's my wife's car;she doesn't drive much-the car only has 46,000 miles on it. It had quite a bit of warranty work the first two years,so much that gm extended our warranty for another 2 years. It's really settled down since then,no trouble at all. I still think it great to drive-i am stunned by its current worth on the used car market,though.