: '08 CTS vs '08 Pontiac G8

investor74
10-25-07, 08:35 PM
Just wondering, did any '08 CTS buyers (or future buyers) consider (even momentarily) the Pontiac G8?

Thanks,

Barry

gm_eng
10-25-07, 08:48 PM
I thought about it enough to compare all the dimensions and performance figures based on the Holden. G8 has more rear seat leg room, bigger trunk. To get equivalent performance as the CTS, I'd have to get the V8 and give up some fuel mileage. From what I could tell, the G8 couldn't be equiped with all the luxury features the CTS has. Plus, I felt the CTS was a little more exclusive. With the lower price of the G8, I figured I'd see myself coming and going all the time.

z06bigbird
10-25-07, 08:55 PM
Once you own a real luxury car, you will NEVER want to own anything less. You can feel the diff between the Caddy and the Pontiac.

JBsZ06
10-25-07, 08:57 PM
I definitely considered both GM vehicles. They are both winners. The CTS offers AWD and a bit more status image..

The G8 is more of a performance sports sedan, slightly less luxury....and only RWD..

I especially like the G8 with 19 inch rims like I saw at the NY autoshow last April.

It was a winner without a doubt.. especially in dark silver color scheme..

I needed AWD for the wife to leave the world of SUV's...

Best decision we both made.

The new CTS is awesome!

MoFex
10-25-07, 09:18 PM
I did not. I used to drive Holdens in the past. They are good vehicles but not in the same league as Cadillac.

Before deciding on CTS I considered Infiniti M35 and MB C350.

It was a close call between CTS and M35. CTS won because of interior quality and fantastic look!

WhtDmnd04CTS
10-25-07, 09:29 PM
just a quick question for MoFex..
..did you happen to get a price on the M35? i hear all the time people saying that they lease relatively cheap

MoFex
10-25-07, 09:55 PM
No, I did not. I decided on CTS before getting a firm price on M35. But Edmunds is saying you can get M35 close to invoice.

O_Z
10-25-07, 10:59 PM
I considered both vehicles and my first pick would be G8
But I need car right now, so I really don’t have choice
CTS is a winner

bryson17
10-25-07, 11:41 PM
I also considered the G8 (along with Infiniti G35 and Saab 9-3). Once I decided that I wanted an American car (I guess the G8 is sill technically an import), these were the only two I could find that I liked. What I don't like about the G8, now that it is in hindsight, is how dulled down it is from the show version that came out earlier in the year. It looks like it received the "family treatment". Maybe I'll like the family treatment in 10 years, but I'll stick with the CTS for now.

BreakThrough
10-26-07, 01:20 AM
Did not consider the G8. I had an 04 CTSV, then an Escalade. Wanted to experience a CTS again, and loved the new style, engine choice, and AWD.

pimpdeville
10-26-07, 05:35 AM
nice.......if it didn't look like a Grand-Am!!!

imrf
10-26-07, 06:37 AM
is how dulled down it is from the show version that came out earlier in the year.

That one was never planned to come over. They showed a car with special competition rims( HSV rims) and said that they did not think they would launch the car with them. I think 2009 will yield a G8 GXP with those rims along with the HSV tune for the motor of 400+HP like they already do down under. I hope they do as I might consider than one once my CTS lease is up.

mkaresh
10-26-07, 11:12 AM
I haven't had a chance to drive the G8, but sat in one during the Chicago show. Much larger back seat, but the interior isn't nearly as nice, and the exterior styling isn't nearly as distinctive. As good as the G8 likely is, I don't think many CTS buyers will wish they'd opted for the Pontiac.

tgunnd39
10-26-07, 10:04 PM
Yes I did.

Liked the CTS more, felt the performance of the G8 wouldn't be there without the V8 and with gas prices being what they are...

Let's just say that I didn't want anything less than the CTS.

My .02 :cloud9:

rgs455
10-26-07, 11:19 PM
Considered a G8 but the CTS will be my wife's car and this is what she wanted. She doesn't really care about performance anyway. I get my fix from my 11 second GN or cruising in the 95 Vette.

MoFex
10-27-07, 12:12 AM
OK, you want performance - go at least CTS-V

Want "civilized" sedan that's feels like a "sports" car and have deent performance and feels "luxurous" - go CTS.

You cannot get all in one package......and at that price....it is impossible....it is all about compromise and what YOU WANT!
OK, you want performance - go at least CTS-V

Want "civilized" sedan that's feels like a "sports" car and have decent performance and feels "luxurious" - go CTS.

You cannot get all in one package......and at that price....it is impossible....it is all about compromise and what YOU WANT!

I wanted relatively good performance and handling and ride - hence DI engine and FE2. Oh, and the look and interior quality....

What else is there to match CTS? In all the categories I mentioned........

Did I mention I have never ever had a Cadillac? And Cadillac was not what I wanted?...

I wanted relativeyly good perfomance and handling - hence DI engine and FE2. Oh, and the look and interior qiality....

What else is there to match CTS? In all the categories I mentioned........

Did I mention I have never ever had a Cadillac? And Cadillac was not I wanted?...

z06bigbird
10-27-07, 12:46 AM
Cannot go wrong with a CTS. 08 looks are fantastic. Extremely reliable for past several years.

mkaresh
10-27-07, 08:06 AM
Definitely true about the appearance. The reliability, though, is unknown at this point. The car was thoroughly re-engineered for 2008.

MidLifeinMI
10-27-07, 09:35 AM
G8, by the articles & pictures, probably has a slight size advantage over the CTS. We all know about the horsepower advantage. However, for my purposes, the Caddy was the way to go, due to styling and (for me in a snowy climate) AWD. Besides, I just got out of one high-HP RWD Pontiac, why would I get right back into another?:D

mkaresh
10-27-07, 03:42 PM
Whether the G8 has a "size advantage" depends on whether you think larger = better. It's considerably larger, and the rear seat is much roomier. It's a big car along the lines of a Chrysler 300. The CTS is not (at least not yet) a big car. Instead, it tries to compete with compact competitors.

hueterm
10-27-07, 09:16 PM
The pics of the G8 make it look narrow and with that high back end, it looks kind of looks like those old Alfa Romeo Milanos from the late '80s. It just looks awkward and foreign...kind of like the GTO. And I'm sorry, I have an issue w/bringing over these Holdens or whatever they are for Pontiacs.

Maybe it will grow on me in person, but I have a feeling my Pontiac days ended w/my GP GTP coupe (unless maybe I find the right Bonneville GXP and 1969/1970 GP not withstanding).

CVP33
10-27-07, 10:44 PM
I love the G8 and would definitely take that over a base CTS. But no way over a CTS-V. Sometimes the money you save is not worth what you have to give up. My priorities:

1) Price
2) Power
3) Handling
4) Amenities
5) Styling

So the argument becomes, is 100 extra hp and better handling worth another $20K in sticker price to get a CTS-V vs. a G8..........ABSOLUTELY FOR ME! Although everyone has their own heirarchy.

Cadillacboy
10-28-07, 06:44 PM
Cadillac ,no chance

StealthV
11-01-07, 10:20 PM
MoFex - One can have it all with a V but true, not at the same price.

On topic - The top-of-the-food-chain G8 will be a nice machine. Unfortunately it will be devalued by the millions of frumpy rental car versions.

Think Grand Prix - think rental car; think GTP or the "new" GXP. Eh - Who cares.