: 4T80-E Transmission Fluid Change - DONE!

fubar569
10-25-07, 06:12 PM
Easy once you get the first shower of DexIII out of the way at first...

I hunted for over 15min for the "Side Plug" - that dinky 11mm plug was it? i passed over it the entire time then went..."well, oh well..." - i was right all along...just thought it'd be bigger?

dropped pan, cleaned pan, cleaned rails, replaced screens, applied new gasket, pan goes back up..filled with fresh Dex VI...

All im gonna say is WOW...this stuff is great...smooth, no chatter...GM got it right with this stuff...

All in all...a good way to waste a hour of my time for another 100k miles of piece of mind :)

Crown Vic Owner
10-27-07, 01:28 PM
What about changing the filter? How hard was it. Did youeven do it.

Submariner409
10-27-07, 02:15 PM
I believe the "filter", such as it is, requires removal of the transmission.

I also am happy with a change to VI.

clarkz71
10-29-07, 06:15 AM
I chenged to Dexron VI about a year & a half ago. So far 20,000 miles on it.
Really makes a noticeable change in shift quality.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/clarkz71/E-bay008.jpg

Cadillacboy
10-29-07, 12:49 PM
Thanks for that . I will change mine too when it hits 50 K miles

Ranger
10-29-07, 09:08 PM
The filter is internal and only gets changed at tear down. There are 2 reusable screens that can be cleaned if necessary.

Mountie
10-31-07, 09:18 AM
The filter is internal and only gets changed at tear down. There are 2 reusable screens that can be cleaned if necessary.

I found out my tranny was rebuilt when I pulled my engine almost 2 years ago. I don't know what kind of fluid is in it.

Can I just drain the fluid from the drain plug only? Without removing the pan?

Mountie
10-31-07, 09:20 AM
I want to do the change correct, but not do anything unnessesary.

Ranger
10-31-07, 11:19 AM
There is no drain plug on the pan. You have to drop the pan to get at the side cover drain plug, which is up between the 2 screens if I recall correctly.

greggm333
10-31-07, 08:13 PM
The filter is in the side cover. I just had my N* engine replaced. While they had everything out we popped off the side cover and replaced the TCC solenoid, Pressure valve, temp sensor and filter. It might be possible to get at it through the wheel well without taking the transmission out. I remember reading on this forum that someone was able to do that.

Mountie
10-31-07, 09:52 PM
There is no drain plug on the pan. You have to drop the pan to get at the side cover drain plug, which is up between the 2 screens if I recall correctly.

So,........ It's not an 'easy' " in your garage with a floor jack" kind of job.

( I prefer to do work myself ).... it's a bummer I have to use a lift - hire a mechanic?

Ranger
10-31-07, 10:05 PM
Oh sure it is. That is how I have always done mine. Just not quite as quick and easy as an oil change.

M.A.C
02-26-09, 10:48 PM
To change transaxle fluid just remove the top cooler line from the radiator then buy a brass adapter at Home Depot on which a clear plastic fluid line can be placed on, then run the line into a bucket. Cover the exposed line with tape or something to preven dirt from getting into it. Then, with the engine in park, start the car and let the trans pump do all the work. You should get about two gallons of fluid. Refill and then do it again or wait until the following year. Do this once a year and you should be fine. It's easy and you don't have to get on your back looking for a plug. As long as the transaxle is kept in park it will not be damage it. I've change trans fluid this way myself and plan on doing it again this spring. If you want to change it the hard way, fine. There's nothing wrong with that either. Your preference!

gincat
04-28-14, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the tip!

__________________________________________________ _____

Good evening. Your CF account is activated. Please use the Profile and Settings tabs to update your profile to reflect proper birth date, approximate location, car owned and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?

This thread that you inserted your test post into has been dead for 5 years. I would not expect a reply.