: P119 - Shorted Fuel Injector Problem

afterburn
10-25-07, 03:39 PM
Hi, what can I do about this problem?
The car is pulling funny, and is shaking while i start accelerating.

What can the problem be?

Ranger
10-25-07, 05:16 PM
Check the wire harness for shorts. If OK, you may need to R & R the injector.

zonie77
10-26-07, 02:50 AM
Take the plastic cover off the harness that goes to the intake manifold. It runs from a connector under the throttle body into the intake assembly.

Check the wires for missing insulation. My brother had the problem and a couple people have been on the forum with this problem.

If the insulation flakes off the car runs really bad and you get a lot of intake sensor and injector codes.

afterburn
10-26-07, 03:50 AM
Thank you guys for the feed back, quick too!

I'll give it a go for tomorrow ;). Thanks again

zonie77
10-26-07, 10:23 PM
There is the chance it is a shorted injector. Get a meter and check the resistance across the injector coil. If it's good check the harness.

I'm not sure what it should be but if you check several you'll get the range it should be in.

aamusls06
10-29-07, 06:24 AM
check the insulation around the wires. i had a problem with the wires melting and fusing together that run from the injectors. caused problems with the injectors, isc, and map sensor also.

afterburn
11-04-07, 04:21 AM
Well i haven't checked and uncovered the engine, but i have some trippy symptoms.
First of all, when i have over 1/8 of gas and my engine is getting over 215 F, it starts stuttering alot as if a spark plug blew or something. I replaced the spark plugs already just to improve the stuttering. But is still throwing that code out.

Second this is just some questions, how would i go around to relieving the fuel pressure so i won't get any fuel in my eyes (yes its happened before xD)?

What does an open fuel injector look like? and do i need to screw-twist in the injectors?

finally there is this one thing when you uncover the top of the engine that looks like a PCV valve, just short and fatter than this one in the picture....http://www.nnnova.com/images/18B-0039.jpg, it looks like if something would plug into it, but it doesn't have anything on top of the valve, is it like that or does it have something plugged into it?

Thank you guys!

afterburn
11-04-07, 05:15 AM
The PCV valve thing I was talking about i think is the FPR, i could be mistaken. But ya, I have a 94 Caddy Seville SLS

FrankT
11-04-07, 09:32 AM
afterburn,
First of all, when i have over 1/8 of gas and my engine is getting over 215 F, it starts stuttering alot as if a spark plug blew or something.
The fuel level and engine temp thing are unrelated to each other. The engine coolant temp of 215F is normal, make sure your up on the cooling system maintaince, drain and refill coolant, replace the thermostat, and make sure cooling fans are working properly.

The stuttering, did you fix P0119 yet? if not that's probably the cause. Also check your plug wires.

Second this is just some questions, how would i go around to relieving the fuel pressure so i won't get any fuel in my eyes (yes its happened before xD)? There's a fuel pressure fitting on the fuel pressure rail, remove the cap and depress the schrader valve, use a rag over the valve to catch the fuel as it squirts out the valve. Hold it down until fuel stops squirting, then you can service the fuel system.

What does an open fuel injector look like? and do i need to screw-twist in the injectors? Measure the resistance of the fuel injector across both terminals, an open fuel injector will give you a reading of infinite ohms (O.L). I think the spec on a good fuel injector is 25-50 ohms.The injectors are held in place by the fuel rail and two "O" Rings. They just pull straight out (with a little wiggling action) the trick is getting them back in. I put some vaseline on the o rings and they slide back in easily.

finally there is this one thing when you uncover the top of the engine that looks like a PCV valve, just short and fatter than this one in the picture...., it looks like if something would plug into it, but it doesn't have anything on top of the valve, is it like that or does it have something plugged into it? Yes, it's a pcv valve and yes it should have hose connected to the top, the hose has vacuum on it. In fact if the hose is off you have a vacuum leak that can be a cause of your stuttering. Good Luck, lets us know what you find. Frank

afterburn
11-06-07, 05:15 PM
Alright, I still don't know if im doing this right but here is a picture maybe you guys can help me out with it, well i uncovered the engine and I was wondering if anything is plugged into this part? its just that it doesn't look right, and i can here a hissing noise coming from it. And if something is plugged it, where is it located cuz i can't find anything.

Ranger
11-06-07, 06:59 PM
Normally a vacuum hose is connected to it, but the '93/'94 FPR is located in the manifold and thus subjected to manifold vacuum, so no hose necessary. Just turn the key on (DO NOT CRANK). Look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none. A hissing noise is not a good sign either, though I have never heard of that before.

afterburn
11-06-07, 07:01 PM
Thank you ranger, quick reply too ;).

ewill3rd
11-07-07, 09:47 AM
If the fuel pump is running then you'll hear a hiss noise from the regulator, that is just pressure relief going back to the tank.
What is the status of the injector code?
This looks like an old style N* right? (metal cover over intake?)

It has been a few days since you started this topic, do we have all the current information on what you have done?

If the code is still present or resetting then you could have an injector issue, if not you might have a secondary ignition problem. You say it does it when you accelerate? Does it idle okay?

afterburn
11-07-07, 02:40 PM
hmmm, well i haven't turned on the car since yesterday after i did all the fuel injection check up and after having some a little fuel slip out because i don't want it to ignite once i turned on the engine, so i don't know how its running now. But ya, its an older N* with the metal cover, it does it when i accelerate, and it DECREASES so much when i put it on park.

afterburn
11-07-07, 04:33 PM
sorry for the double post, but now, idle is horrible, even at idle.