: Tires, tires, tires.....

MVP
10-25-07, 09:08 AM
I have searched through past threads and I am really confused...
I am looking to replace my stock bald F1 super cars with another run flat. After my research I almost pulled the trigger on the Bridgestone RE05A, but the FAQ said they wear out the fastest.
What is the best option for a daily driver that will give me good tread wear in an all-season tire?
Should I get not runflats and get another rim with jack? Is this better in the long run?
I don't track the car.

dqw1
10-25-07, 09:26 AM
I'm strongly considering Goodyear F1 all-seasons for $200 at Tire Rack (255-40-18). I'd really like to get EMT's also (not the stock F1 EMT's).

05_CTSV
10-25-07, 09:42 AM
MVP, I can't speak directly to the CTS-V tires as I have had Nittos on since I bought the car 6000 miles ago, but i changed my stock Eagle F1 to BF Goodrich KDW on my 2000 SS convt back in May after months of research and opinions from the Camaro boards and they have been an outstanding tire so far, not sure how BF's All season compare but food for thought. Good luck!

darkman
10-25-07, 09:45 AM
Upon retiring my F1 Supercar EMTs, I got FI GS-D3s EMTs. I am happy with this tire so far because it is much smoother than the F1 Supercar and it is excellent in the rain. The Supercar tires would hydroplane much too easily for Houston's annual level of rain (57 inches). I stuck with runflats because I never want to have to change a tire on the street. If the Houston traffic doesn't kill you, the carjackers will. I do not have enough miles on this tire to report on their life expectancy. I got 13,600 on the Supercars and could have gotten another 2K if had been willing to live with hydoplaning problem.

Goodyear Dealers do not usually keep F1 GS-D3 EMTs in stock, so you would probably have to order them. (Mine only took 4 days to arrive). Tire Rack does stock them. They do not come in the stock size, but are available in 255/45/18 if you want a smooth street tire or 245/40/18 if you want the best grip.

If I were to get non-run flat tires today, I would get Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.

2004ctsv
10-25-07, 10:20 AM
The Supercars work like they were made for this car. Outside of how fast they wear out, I think that they give the best performance. But we trade performance for tread life.

At 6000 miles, mine were down to the wear bars. I went to GY and priced new ones. After being told that I'd have to pay $2400 for 4 news ones mounted, balance and out the door, I declined. I told the manager that I loved the tires but could afford to pay 40 cents per mile for tires.

He made a phone call (to GY headquarters?) and then told me that I could get new F1 EMT's for $90 each if I left him my old tires. Such a deal.

Now I keep the F1's on stock wheels for track days only and run Yoko Advans around town with one of the F1's as a spare.

If you have low miles on the worn out EMT's, try your local GY dealer. Maybe they can do something for you.

T

nikon
10-25-07, 10:26 AM
really how often do you get a flat? most of the time it's a nail in the tire....so keep a plug kit and a 12v compressor in the trunk....the ride is SOOO much smoother on regular tires than it is on run-flats, and you can't beat the price $160 for BFG KDW 2's and I love em.....and if all else fails....AAA :p

tedcmiller
10-25-07, 10:30 AM
MVP,
Your information about Bridgstone RE050 and RE050A RFTs (note the correct designations) is not correct. They do not wear out the fastest under normal driving conditions. I have a set of Bridgestone RE050s on my CTS-V with approximately 16K miles on them. They still have about 25% of their original tread. I never gotten more than 11K miles on the Goodyear F1s. However, the F1s had slightly better traction (not surprising) and were not directional like the RE050s and RE050As.

tedcmiller
10-25-07, 10:35 AM
Regarding the harsher ride and higher cost of RFTs, the convenience of not having to stop following a loss of tire pressure is worth something. How much it is worth varies with each individual. In the long run, it will not matter since RFTs will eventaully be mandated for all new cars by the Federal Government.

dqw1
10-25-07, 10:38 AM
Ted, besides the wear, what do you like or dislike about the RE050's? I need to replace my RSA's within the next month or two so I'm looking for the best tire at 255-40-18.

CIWS
10-25-07, 10:47 AM
F1 EMTs came on the car. I went from those to GY RSA EMTs, not a bad tire, and got 27K out of them before switching them out. The tires probably had another 3K left on them before the wearbars. I bought a spare V wheel from a forum member and put non-EMT tires on the car in July. These are the new GY F1 All Season tires that I got at Discount Tire for 208.00 each (5 of them). The idea of not having to stop to change a flat is nice, but if you hit something that damages the tire and/or wheel, you'll be DIW without a spare to put on the car and calling AAA or Cadi roadside anyway. They are supposed to be a long treadwear tire. We'll see, 5K on them so far.

robertb
10-25-07, 11:05 AM
Quote "really how often do you get a flat? most of the time it's a nail in the tire....so keep a plug kit and a 12v compressor in the trunk....the ride is SOOO much smoother on regular tires than it is on run-flats, and you can't beat the price $160 for BFG KDW 2's and I love em.....and if all else fails....AAA"

When I was looking for winter tires, I spoke with the person I get all my tires from. He had the same answer as Nikon (quote above). tires just don't "blow out" any more. It is usually a nail or other object stuck in the tire. You can simple pump the tire up and drive it to the nearest tire store. I bought non-RF winter tires and I carry a foot pump ($15) and a patch kit in the trunk. When I needed my first set of replacement tires for the OEM tires I also went with non-RF tires, the BFG KDW 2's. I am on my second set (I use them for track events also so they don't last too long).

Robert

nikon
10-25-07, 12:59 PM
^^ on that same note, if a tire did blow out or shred on you a run-flat is useless.....so either get a spare or a AAA card.....I do see the value of the run flats but the value of my ass having a cushy ride over most road surfaces outweighs the run-flat value :p

ronr
10-25-07, 01:19 PM
I've tried several. non-EMT was no big deal for me. Flats happen seldom and there's always OnStar.

1st set: F1 Supercar EMT's from the factory. Lasted about 8k miles. Couldn't justify getting them again since they're expensive and have a short life...but boy are they stickey. Also, they were terrible on wet roads!
2nd set: Bridgestone S03 Pole positions. They don't make these any more but I'm guessing the current Pole positions are similar. These were great at first, good traction (not as stickey as the F1's but very good.) They were much better when wet. My problem was that when the tread was down to about 25% remaining tread life they got so loud I couldn't make calls with OnStar because there was so much noise in the cabin. I ended up changing while there was still tread to be smoked.
3rd set: Falken Azenis RT-615. These are by far my favorites. Great stick, good in rain and cheap. I'm going back to these next.
4th (current) set: F1 supercars (non-EMT). I like these. Tirerack had them on special for $152 a tire and I couldn't pass it up. They don't seem to be as sticky as the EMT version or the RT-615's but still very good. I've only driven in the rain a couple of times and they did fine. My only real complaint is that the only size that's close to what we need is a 255-45. The RT-615's were 255-40's and I think they looked better on the car but more importantly, I had to raise my ground control kit as high as it can go in the front to keep the taller 255-45's from tagging the fender.

My intention is to go back to the RT-615's when these retire.

lunarx
10-25-07, 01:57 PM
I agree with 2004CTSV that the F1 is at the top of the heap in dry performance.
Only RT-615 or RE01R can really compete with it.
PS2's are a little spongy but still real good.

I had to throw out a plug for the Nitto Invos.
They are getting great reviews and they have our exact size.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Einvo

theloanman219
10-25-07, 02:37 PM
I have the Nitto 555 on my car now. I had them on my previous car. I love the tires! We all know how much it rains here FL and the grip is great. My 20's were $153 mounted and balanced. So for stock size they must be cheaper.

Gene

atdeneve
10-25-07, 03:45 PM
The chevy dealer that I go to for my mount and balance (they've got the Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balancer and a good tech there) said they wanted 200 (plus tax) for my stock 18s: "We charge 200 for Corvette wheels and those are basically like Corvette wheels. They're low profile. They're runflats. They're not easy to install. It's gonna take the techs a couple hours." This guy must think I popped out the vaj just yesterday. I've seen all four be done in less than 45 minutes. Hell, I was always by my techs side (bothering him with questions and ish - he was one a the coolest techs) whenever he did mine. Only to find out that day that he wasn't there anymore - he always forced the service advisor to never charge me more than 100 (I'd rather give him the money anyways).

And everytime I went, the service advisor would try to give me an incrementally higher quote. Ridiculous. This guy. Anyway. I needed to change out my tires, yesterday. So I paid 170 somethin. And, like every other dealer (except for my usual tech that wasn't workin there anymore - next time I'm a go where he currently works), they scratched n grooved my newly powdercoated wheels - which cost me over a G for the hypersilver and over two months to get em done. A fcuken headache dealin with a horrible vendor (do not use Wheels America; do not waste your time; please don't), which is a whole nother story, before I said fcuk it and went with someone who could actually do some quality work - as well as my other set that they unmounted.

Shoulda known better. It's not only the machine that matters. It's the tech that's usin it. I specifically and explicitly stated my concerns about scratchin/groovin the wheels. Even explained that they should clean the ducktails, if there was a lot of black residue on it in order to prevent any marring. If they had new ducktails, even better. Install those. Told both the service advisor and the techs. Drives me crazy. This ish.

The crazy thing about it is that I've got more than a handful of sories of frucked-upness just as fracked up as this and it always revolves around the V. Why??!!?!?!?? Why, I ask you? It ain't even like it's mod hell. Mod hell I can deal with. But this. This is just plain routine fcukd-upness. Ish that shouldn't be happening. Y'all don't even know half the ish I have to deal with. Y'all don't even know the half! S'fcuked up! S'all fcuked up! Ya hear me!

Anyway. I digress. Always do. My point was, it won't necessarily be cheaper for stock 18s. Depends on how badly they wanna stiff ya. Whew! I'm good. Really. Good. Just chipper.

lunarx
10-25-07, 03:57 PM
Yup, 95% of the tire techs out there don't have a clue how to operate a tire machine.

The reason those shop managers want to upcharge you for runflats is because they know their techs will jack up a rim and they need the money to cover the repairs.
It's their own insurance fund.

I hope you are making them fix your damaged wheel.

You really need to ask around where your old tire tech went.
I had to do that and was lucky enough to continue using mine at his new shop.
Turns out he was not the only one to move there from the old shop.

darkman
10-25-07, 05:57 PM
really how often do you get a flat?

My point exactly. Some folks who frequent Houston freeways only have a flat tire ONCE. Thats why I like runflats.

Wienk
10-25-07, 07:49 PM
For those of you having problems finding a good place to mount and balance runflats, I suggest you use the list of recommended installers from the Tire Rack. In my area they recommended the Tire Factory and I change runflats (winter < -> summer) every Spring and Fall... not one scratch yet, takes about 45 minutes and they charge only $58 each time, so I tip the shop guys another $20 cash and I'm out the door. :thumbsup:

CVP33
10-25-07, 08:49 PM
***bracing myself for the inevitable backlash from this post***

I ordered a set of Vredesteins. 4 - 275/40/20's were $682 delivered. Guys are raving about these tires. Even the Corvette guys are impressed. Anyway, I agree with everything else already posted. Loved my F1's, but hated the shelf life. Really loved my GSD3's. That's what I'd have if they'd fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130163974578&rd=1

MVP
10-25-07, 08:53 PM
Upon retiring my F1 Supercar EMTs, I got FI GS-D3s EMTs. I am happy with this tire so far because it is much smoother than the F1 Supercar and it is excellent in the rain. The Supercar tires would hydroplane much too easily for Houston's annual level of rain (57 inches). I stuck with runflats because I never want to have to change a tire on the street. If the Houston traffic doesn't kill you, the carjackers will. I do not have enough miles on this tire to report on their life expectancy. I got 13,600 on the Supercars and could have gotten another 2K if had been willing to live with hydoplaning problem.

Goodyear Dealers do not usually keep F1 GS-D3 EMTs in stock, so you would probably have to order them. (Mine only took 4 days to arrive). Tire Rack does stock them. They do not come in the stock size, but are available in 255/45/18 if you want a smooth street tire or 245/40/18 if you want the best grip.

If I were to get non-run flat tires today, I would get Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.
How many miles did you get on the GS-D3's? Or how do they wear?

MVP
10-25-07, 09:36 PM
F1 EMTs came on the car. I went from those to GY RSA EMTs, not a bad tire, and got 27K out of them before switching them out. The tires probably had another 3K left on them before the wearbars. I bought a spare V wheel from a forum member and put non-EMT tires on the car in July. These are the new GY F1 All Season tires that I got at Discount Tire for 208.00 each (5 of them). The idea of not having to stop to change a flat is nice, but if you hit something that damages the tire and/or wheel, you'll be DIW without a spare to put on the car and calling AAA or Cadi roadside anyway. They are supposed to be a long treadwear tire. We'll see, 5K on them so far.

What size RSA EMT's?

CIWS
10-25-07, 10:32 PM
Stock size, that's all I've ran on the car.

fredcook
10-26-07, 12:34 AM
Wow... I see there are some posts regarding how much places are charging for mounting tires, and how long it takes. I've been using Discount Tire for years on several cars. Regardless of size or type, the Discount Tire I use charges $58 for all 4 tires, and includes the usual lifetime rotation and balancing deal. And I've ever waited more than 40-45 minutes. Also, no noticeable marks any of my rims either.

Anyway... just sharing...

Feffman
10-26-07, 07:00 AM
MVP (Like that as my initials are the same!)

I'm running the Yokohama Advan S4 (all season V rated) and have been very happy with them. My first choice was the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position but they were on back order pretty much across the country.
The Yokos are wearing well, handle good and have performed great in the rain. Can't tell you about their performance in the snow as winter hasn't arrived just yet.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer (MVP)

darkman
10-26-07, 07:10 AM
How many miles did you get on the GS-D3's? Or how do they wear?

I have only had the GS-D3 EMTs for 1,000 miles so I cannot yet estimate how many miles they will last. Those who have run the non-EMT version of the F1 GS-D3's have reported better mileage than they got on the EMT Supercars.

MVP
10-26-07, 08:47 AM
I think the only choice for an all season run flat wtih decent tread wear (+/-30K miles) are the RS-A EMT's.
I think this is what I am going to try, unless someone has some last minute suggestions.

HushH
10-26-07, 09:14 AM
Not a run-flat, but I've been very happy with my Falken FK452s. Very good dry grip, excellent wet traction, and much better ride than the stock run-flats. I've got almost 10k miles on them and still have ~60% tread left. Very good all-around tire IMO.

tedcmiller
10-26-07, 09:41 AM
dqw1,
The only other difference between RE050s and F1s I have detected, is that the RE050s tend to develop flat spots overnight in cold weather. Therefore, there is some vibration if the car is driven at highway speeds (60+ mph) right after an overnight stop. However, the flat spots and the vibration dissappear in short order (approx. 8-10 miles, depending on the ambient temperature) after you start driving.

Black Sunshine
10-26-07, 10:39 AM
After being shocked by my OEM tires lasting only 17K on the highway I switched to Toyo Proxe 4's. They have a 300 AA A W 100 rating and a nice looking tread pattern.

I just replaced the first set of Proxe's after getting 38K out of them. This time around I paid $1000 for the new tires, mounting, on-car high speed balancing and nitrogen.

Quiet on most road surfaces with excellent wet road manners. No problems with tracking on the highway. Normally, I wouldn't put a Jap manufacturers product on my car but Toyo just built their first US plant in GA. So I gave them a shot and I'm very happy with them.

lunarx
10-26-07, 10:44 AM
Wow Black,

17K is incredible mileage for the F1's.
I guess your rear diff is in good shape also. ;)

After being shocked by my OEM tires lasting only 17K on the highway I switched to Toyo Proxe 4's. They have a 300 AA A W 100 rating and a nice looking tread pattern.

I just replaced the first set of Proxe's after getting 38K out of them. This time around I paid $1000 for the new tires, mounting, on-car high speed balancing and nitrogen.

Quiet on most road surfaces with excellent wet road manners. No problems with tracking on the highway. Normally, I wouldn't put a Jap manufacturers product on my car but Toyo just built their first US plant in GA. So I gave them a shot and I'm very happy with them.

Black Sunshine
10-26-07, 10:57 AM
Actually, the rear end started making noises when doing tight turns so I took it in about three months ago. My local Caddy/GMC dealer said it was the rear end.

But, I think this is a first for the forum, instead of getting a new rear end this dealer has a technician that specializes in rear ends and they ordered fresh parts and did a rebuild. Absolutely perfect. Not a hint of problems or noise.

fredcook
10-26-07, 12:00 PM
Wow Black,

17K is incredible mileage for the F1's.
I guess your rear diff is in good shape also. ;)

That's what I was thinking. I passed wear indicators at 9k, slicks at 11k ...

JimmyH
10-26-07, 01:34 PM
I have 10k on my original F1's; front look like new, rear are not even close to the wear bars yet.

nikon
10-26-07, 01:38 PM
dqw1,
The only other difference between RE050s and F1s I have detected, is that the RE050s tend to develop flat spots overnight in cold weather. Therefore, there is some vibration if the car is driven at highway speeds (60+ mph) right after an overnight stop. However, the flat spots and the vibration dissappear in short order (approx. 8-10 miles, depending on the ambient temperature) after you start driving.

I'd get the same flat spots on the GSD3's but not cold weather...any weather....and they didn't last me that long either....maybe 12k...not much more than the F-1's.....I can't say enough good things about the KDW 2's I'm running now though :cloud9:

benelliwang
10-26-07, 03:32 PM
I have a different mentality from most of you guys. The tires are the most important part in handling, braking, and acceleration; therefore I get the stickiest tires that will last me 1 year or 8k miles. For example, on my C5 Vette I have Nitto 555R drag radials in 305/35-18 for the back and Perelli P Zero in 295/40-18 for the fronts. After 8 months, the rear are almost gone so I am getting Nitto 555R's in 335/30-18 next. The C5 also have another set for the 1320 runs, which is a set of skinnies and MT ET Streets, they last about 3k miles.

The CTS-V came with Nitto 555 street tires which I hate, they don't stick well after 6 months so I am replacing them with Michelin Pilot Sports next.

My motto: Buy stickiest tires once a year then cry at the empty wallet.

darkman
10-26-07, 03:58 PM
I have a different mentality from most of you guys. The tires are the most important part in handling, braking, and acceleration; therefore I get the stickiest tires that will last me 1 year or 8k miles. For example, on my C5 Vette I have Nitto 555R drag radials in 305/35-18 for the back and Perelli P Zero in 295/40-18 for the fronts. After 8 months, the rear are almost gone so I am getting Nitto 555R's in 335/30-18 next. The C5 also have another set for the 1320 runs, which is a set of skinnies and MT ET Streets, they last about 3k miles.

The CTS-V came with Nitto 555 street tires which I hate, they don't stick well after 6 months so I am replacing them with Michelin Pilot Sports next.

I can tolerate tires that are expensive and short-lived - but I need tires that work in the wet as well as the dry. I can even avoid cold weather use if necessary, but on Houston streets I cannot avoid rain.

CIWS
10-26-07, 07:20 PM
I have a different mentality from most of you guys. The tires are the most important part in handling, braking, and acceleration; therefore I get the stickiest tires that will last me 1 year or 8k miles.

In my case your tires would last me maybe 6 months. I'm putting between 20-22K a year on the car.

rand49er
10-27-07, 09:39 AM
Okay, goin' out on a limb here, but at the risk of really :horse: let me ask ...

I've heard guys above say this or that tire does well in the wet, but I don't go out in the rain, and I've got Avon A/S tires on second set of rims if I just have to drive in the precip.

So, what's the opinion of a good tire in dry conditions ... one that's reasonably budget minded (don't want to get crazy), looks good, one that's tolerable in rain (if you have no choice), isn't loud, wears reasonably well, etc, etc?

lunarx
10-27-07, 11:04 AM
...So, what's the opinion of a good tire in dry conditions ... one that's reasonably budget minded (don't want to get crazy), looks good, one that's tolerable in rain (if you have no choice), isn't loud, wears reasonably well, etc, etc?

At $233 each I bet you would love this tire.

R-01R 245-45-18 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-01R&partnum=445WR8RE01R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=38)

It has the directional tread patern of an intermediate racing rain tire.
Light rain, in warm weather it will still outperform most tires.
In heavy rain, you need to drive slow.

It's a 140 tread wear so it's not good wearing.
It will still wear better than F1, because it has a lower void ratio.

What you are asking just won't happen for cheap.

If you need the better wear of 220, then take advantage of the $50 rebate or Gas Card and get a set of these at $279 each:

PS2 245-45-18 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=445YR8SPORTPS2&fromCompare1=yes&place=22)

These are very good in the wet as they have a high void ratio.
The tread blocks are very stout so dry performance is also tops.
It's also a very nice long wearing compound with high grip.
These need at least 4psi more air pressure than F1's, because the sidewalls are much softer.

For a guy with 650lb GC Springs (and a V), I can't recommend any lesser tires than this.

Tires are the most important mod so it's not the place to skimp.
These are the best for what you are asking, in the stock tire size.
Try them, be Happy :D

For guys who need All Seasons, these are not the ticket.

rand49er
10-27-07, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Ernie! :thumbsup:

I know this is discussed in a million other threads, but is it worth it to go to 255/40 instead of the 245/45? I believe someone said that no additional tread would contact the road because the rim would cause it to roll up, so why bother?! Ernie? Anybody? :hide:

Twitch
10-27-07, 03:25 PM

R-01R 245-45-18 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-01R&partnum=445WR8RE01R&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=38)

If you need the better wear of 220, then take advantage of the $50 rebate or Gas Card and get a set of these at $279 each:

PS2 245-45-18 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=445YR8SPORTPS2&fromCompare1=yes&place=22)

These need at least 4psi more air pressure than F1's, because the sidewalls are much softer.

For a guy with 650lb GC Springs (and a V), I can't recommend any lesser tires than this.

For guys who need All Seasons, these are not the ticket.

Sooo any recommendations for all season tires? I'm thinkin F1 non EMT

lunarx
10-27-07, 07:11 PM
..is it worth it to go to 255/40 instead of the 245/45? I believe someone said that no additional tread would contact the road because the rim would cause it to roll up, so why bother? ..:

You will get the benefit of the extra tread width in turns and braking, less so in acceleration.

A 255 will fit the stock wheel just fine.
If you are not lowered, it will look funny with a 40 series.

For summer performance, I would rather have the 245-45-18 RE-01R over any other 255-40-18 street tire (excpet maybe for RT-615).
I remember how great RE-070 were on my WRX and RE-01R is as close as any street tire gets to that.

thebigjimsho
10-28-07, 01:08 AM

For guys who need All Seasons, these are not the ticket.I haven't driven the R-01R but I can vouch that the PS2 is a phenomenal tire. It's softer than the F1s but very stable and predictable in hard cornering.