: Fresh Paint...

SupaFly
04-28-04, 08:24 AM
A few panels on my car have recently been repaired and painted. What should I do or not do with this fresh coat of paint?

hcvone
04-28-04, 08:34 AM
I would not "wax" them for at least 90 days, you can use a glaze or a product like Zaino because these do not contain wax. I would call your body shop if you have any questions. :)

SupaFly
04-28-04, 09:43 AM
I asked them. They said I could but I don't think I will touch it. I don't even want to wash that part.

Ralph
04-28-04, 06:14 PM
I asked them. They said I could but I don't think I will touch it. I don't even want to wash that part.

Don't wash it!! Autobody shops have told my friends at least a month for washing or waxing fresh paint. For example, GM uses those heat lamps to quickly "cure" the paint, etc. I would just play it safe and leave it for a while.

Supa, you never said if you liked my "pink" car or not yet?! :rose: ;)

brougham
04-28-04, 06:59 PM
If you have to wash it wash it. It's not going to wreck it. You here all sorts of different things about waxing. Some people say to wait, other people say that with some of the newer kinds of paint you can wax it as soon as you want. Maybe the shop is right and you can wax it as soon as you want and maybe they aren't.

hcvone
04-28-04, 07:17 PM
I still would not use wax for 90 days, a glaze or sealant will let the air complete the drying process, wax will not

SupaFly
04-29-04, 07:39 AM
I didn't know your car was pink. In that case, I love it. :) I wish mine was pink.

I haven't washed it. It still has residue on it. I think I'll leave it. OH but I am dying to completely clean and wax it.

Robert Brandtjen
05-03-04, 09:36 PM
It all depend on whether they baked the finnish or not- most high end shops bake it.

SupaFly
05-04-04, 07:20 PM
This place was far from high-end.

Robert Brandtjen
05-10-04, 01:01 AM
I'd wait awhile then, let the summer sun bake it for awhile.

Ralph
05-10-04, 02:04 AM
I didn't know your car was pink. In that case, I love it. :) I wish mine was pink.

I haven't washed it. It still has residue on it. I think I'll leave it. OH but I am dying to completely clean and wax it.

Well, technically it's not pink, but there are pink metallic flakes in the paint. (Firemist metallic) Thanks! :p

How does it look? Did they match the paint on the door to the rest of the car well? Sometimes in different light, one can really see a difference.

SupaFly
05-10-04, 09:32 PM
I swear I have not anaylzed it because I don't want to see everything that is wrong.

Subguy
05-11-04, 12:46 AM
Washing your car is fine as long as the paint has had time to cure......I would use a polish as oppossed to a paste wax even if the car wasn't freshly painted. Is the paint smooth or does it feel lightly grainy?

RBraczyk
05-11-04, 01:44 AM
The paint should harden for a year before you ever wax it. washing, id say two months.