: Before i go to beat the crap outta my car - WOT cleaning

Crown Vic Owner
10-24-07, 04:07 PM
I am going messing around with some buds on a open property his dad just bought to build some houses on (old farm that roads just got put in on), and i need to know, what should i do if i am going through twisties and getting it revved up a decent amount, as this will be counting as the WOT cleaning.

I already know to use 93, and not to be on it too much, keep traction on, and be careful.

If im going to do a WOT cleaning, what should i do?

Ranger
10-24-07, 05:19 PM
i am going through twisties and getting it revved up a decent amount, as this will be counting as the WOT cleaning.
That does not count.

If im going to do a WOT cleaning, what should i do?
Plant your foot firmly on the floor with the gear selector in 2nd gear. Let it shift under full throttle and wind it up to about 70. Then get out of it and let it back down to about 50. If you're on the road, then you can shift back to OD and continue on your way.

limoguy
10-25-07, 08:58 AM
I never WOT my car, with my luck she will explode in pieces. Seems like its abuse to the engine & trans to run at open throttle.It seems its alot of wear with WOT. I can understand a quick take off from start now & then but WOT on my car with 120k. im afraid to create problems. I guess I baby her to much

Ranger
10-25-07, 12:04 PM
The Northstar was designed as a high performance engine to be run and run hard. When it was tested it was run at WOT for 300 hrs. (12.5 days). Your not going to hurt it. You do it more harm buy not doing it.

Murphyg
10-26-07, 07:24 PM
Plant your foot firmly on the floor with the gear selector in 2nd gear. Let it shift under full throttle and wind it up to about 70. Then get out of it and let it back down to about 50. If you're on the road, then you can shift back to OD and continue on your way.

I might have missed something here. If so oops and sorry :banghead:
But one thing Ive always been unsure of with the WOT. Do you back off the throttle before it hits red line and shifts ?
Or do you let it shift at red line ??

Ranger
10-26-07, 07:36 PM
Wind it up tight and let it shift under full load at red line. Don't back off till about 70 MPH (traffic permitting of coarse).

Crown Vic Owner
10-27-07, 02:24 AM
So it will still shift if its in the 2 mode, or what

I was going till redline, but it didnt shift yet and i didnt in fear of hitting the rev limited

Ranger
10-27-07, 11:16 AM
Yup. It will not let you hurt it. No matter what gear you have selected, it will shift when it red lines. You can do this in OD, but the reason for using 2nd is for the deceleration, creating high engine braking and ring flutter, braking loose carbon around the rings and keeping them free.

Murphyg
10-28-07, 08:54 PM
Yes it does shift.
Ive done it quite a few times in my 01. But was never clear as to whether or not I should let it shift (which it does do at red line) or not.
So I would always do it both ways. Just to be sure.
But I never did bring it up to 70.
Isnt it the actual down shift, the engine braking, that does the cleaning ? Is that high of speed really necessary ?

Either way, Ive never had a problem doing this in my 01.
But again have to say this is the first time Ive heard that it is needed to bring the vehicle up to a speed over posted limits ?

I just did a search into the Tech Archive.
Its one of the links on the very top of the page within the "black" banner. Very top of page and very easy to miss. Just blends in like nothing.

From there I clicked "Occasional Full-Throttle......"
Got this:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#full

From what I understand within the tech archive you should not let it shift ??? Am I reading this wrong ???

It states....."6500 for an L37 and 6000 for an LD8. Hold the throttle wide open until the engine reaches, say, 6200 for an STS and then just let completely off the throttle. Leave the transmission in 2nd so that the engine brakes the car and creates some pretty heavy over-run conditions....."
Thats from the true blue archive pages. Think it says to let off right after it shifts ??? Does not say to keep pushing it thats for sure.
But could also mean to let off just before the red line and the shift ????

I believe the real question Im looking for, is as to wether or not the engine braking occurs after the shift or before the shift ??

Ranger
10-28-07, 09:32 PM
None of this is critical or written in stone. 70 is not a magic number either. It just gives more time to back down to 50 (again not a critical number. Just wind it up tight and let it back down.

Submariner409
10-28-07, 09:59 PM
:thumbsup: ^^^ BINGO !!! ^^^

JimD
10-28-07, 10:35 PM
Avoiding/preventing the forced up-shift to 3rd gear is important.

Because; the high vacuum developed during compression braking is as beneficial as the high compression pressures developed during the WOT process. I do my WOT therapy with everthing hooked up and pulling hard but staying within the limits of 2nd gear operation.

The speed/RPM numbers vary from year to year and model to model.