: Noob Here...UUC Install Questions

cmltx1
10-24-07, 04:05 PM
I'm not going to ask how this is done b/c it's been gone over and over here in the forums, but is there anyone around the Austin, Texas area that would be willing to help a new V guy out with the UUC shifter install???

I want to do it all from the topside, but I've read so many things about what you need or don't need to do that my head is spinning a bit.

Thanks in advance

blow03ss
10-24-07, 05:04 PM
Dude just get under the car and take care of it, I would think doing everything from the top would be a PITA. Its not bad at all just dont be afraid to lower the tranny to get to the pins. Just my .02

nikon
10-24-07, 05:05 PM
you can't do 'everything' from the top.....you have to at least go under to undo the shifter from the linkage (1 bolt) everything else can be done from the top...

tweeter81
10-24-07, 05:14 PM
you can't do 'everything' from the top.....you have to at least go under to undo the shifter from the linkage (1 bolt) everything else can be done from the top...

I totally agree. I had help from another forum member and we did everything from the top except for loosening and tightening the linkage bolt. The fella that helped me had done it on his own V and when we did it on mine it only took about 45 minutes. The hardest part of the job was getting the Lindsay bushings in place, but other than that it was a piece of cake.

FYI - The first day or two the shifter will be extremely tight and notchey feeling (if you install the Lindsay Cadillac bushings which are highly recommended) and it will loosen up some after the initial break-in period.

ZEUSROTTY
10-24-07, 07:32 PM
I have a question on this subject... is there any way to shorten the uuc shifter?

CTSV_Rob
10-24-07, 07:47 PM
If possible it looks like the mod would be major.

Curious to see how some answer this one.

BTW, Did mine from the bottom and it wasn't that bad.

Koooop
10-24-07, 11:58 PM
I did the B & M (insullated it like crazy so it's quite as a mouse).

Easiest install in the world! I dropped at the Transmission shop and $100 later it was done.

Anything else? You just let me know.

ZEUSROTTY
10-25-07, 01:25 AM
I did the B & M (insullated it like crazy so it's quite as a mouse).

Easiest install in the world! I dropped at the Transmission shop and $100 later it was done.

Anything else? You just let me know.

lol thats awesome...

Ak Jim
10-25-07, 02:24 AM
Yeah, just get the UUC flywheel and have them both done at the same time. While you are at it change the exhaust, this is the best bang for the buck!

rand49er
10-25-07, 06:53 AM
... lower the tranny to get to the pins ...Don't need to do this unless you have hands the size of Rosie O'Donnell's, but you do need to get under the car.

Might want to slightly bevel the leading edge of the UUC bushings (I used a grinder) ... they install much easier that way.

Once you do the install, you'll be able to do the second one in HALF the time. :rolleyes:

You're gonna love this mod!