: '94 sts.. ignition coils, ignition control module?

rockybalboa11
10-23-07, 11:31 PM
the problem started out as an intermittent rough idle, which slowly but surely turned into something i could predict once the stoplight turned red. :-P

i've replaced all 4 ignition coils at the suggestion of the mechanics at the dealership, and the problem was solved for about 2 weeks. after that time, the problem returned. i mentioned the ignition control module to the service adviser when i replaced the last two coil packs and he assured me that the techs checked it, and the connection was fine.

i've had the plugs & wires replaced recently.

i can only assume its the ICM at this point. is it possible for one to "wear out" ?

Ranger
10-24-07, 12:06 AM
Anything can go bad, but before spending any money on replacing it, check the DTC's, clean the TB, EGR & EGR "mouse holes".

rockybalboa11
10-24-07, 06:32 PM
no codes. TB is clean as a whistle. EGR is something i'd like to do. the thread is in the tech tips right?

and by mouseholes.. what? :-D

also, spoke with the dealership today. they told me that its possibly an intake leaking air or letting air in or something of some sort, a gasket aka seal. started with a "p" i believe.

Ranger
10-24-07, 10:55 PM
Yes, there is an EGR tutorial in the Tech Tips section. The "mouse holes" are EGR passages inside the manifold that need to be cleaned.

rockybalboa11
10-25-07, 12:02 AM
you're a great pal ranger. always constructive & trying to help me out. :-D

any idea on what they're talking about with the seal/gasket leak ?

Ranger
10-25-07, 12:22 AM
I would guess the "seal/gasket" they are referring to may be the manifold cover gasket. Spray some Brakleen or such around the perimeter and see if the RPM increases. If so, replace the gasket. I would suspect that if you had a leaking intake gasket, you would get a lean fuel trim DTC, but check it anyway.

rockybalboa11
10-25-07, 08:42 AM
thank you d8-)