: Serious grind/clunk when putting it into reverse

Natedog
10-23-07, 08:19 PM
So i drive home from work tonight and i go to back into my garage as always, shift into reverse and i get a violent grind/clunk as i put it into gear..... obviously never had this before as the car is an 07 and runs like new... so i back up into the garage, put it into neutral, put on the e brake, engage the clutch, go to put it into reverse to see if it was just a fluke, and i get it again.... what the heck happened to my car!???

darkman
10-23-07, 09:02 PM
The first thing I would check would be the clutch fluid level. The second thing would be the clutch pedal operation - return spring, carpet interference with pedal travel, etc. Are there any other shifting problems?

Natedog
10-23-07, 09:21 PM
OK... clutch fluid appears to be a bit low... manual says to add GM Part # 88958860 to MIN line... I'll see if Lindsay can take care of me tomorrow at lunchtime... is it safe to drive in the meantime??

nikon
10-23-07, 10:05 PM
If it doesn't grind going into other gears I'd say it's safe to drive....but its up to the dealer, if they say to drive it in and the trans drops out the bottom on the way to the dealer then it's on them...you can always get a free tow.

Natedog
10-23-07, 10:10 PM
i just took a very short drive to the neighborly Sev and had no shifting issues whatsoever... reversed out of my parking spot with no issues, got it home, then went to reverse into the garage and got the grind/clunk again... i sent in an online service request to Lindsay so hopefully I'll hear from them first thing tomorrow and won't have any issues getting it there.... luckily i'm only 9 miles away :thumbsup:

Scotty7751
10-24-07, 03:23 PM
im gonna go ahead and say it is your reverse blocking ring inside your transmission. its probably not grabbing your blocking cone hard enought to spin the shafts to the speed they need to match to smoothly sync your gears. thus getting the bad clunk and grind

LV_V
10-24-07, 08:43 PM
im gonna go ahead and say it is your reverse blocking ring inside your transmission. its probably not grabbing your blocking cone hard enought to spin the shafts to the speed they need to match to smoothly sync your gears. thus getting the bad clunk and grind
My trans seams to be doing this every so often too. It happens in reverse and going into 2nd, sometimes others. It's like I have to FORCE the shifter into the gear. You can hear a bit of a grind and a slight whirring sound while its trying to pass through.

Whats causing this and what do I tell my dealer?

BTW - My dealer threatened that once I am in my extended warranty period they are going to be MUCH tougher on warrantying anything because of my "mods", see sig. I have 1500 miles left on my factory warranty. I will be getting rid of the V as soon as they try and give me a problem on a warranty item. *End Rant* :helpless:

Scotty7751
10-25-07, 12:39 AM
My trans seams to be doing this every so often too. It happens in reverse and going into 2nd, sometimes others. It's like I have to FORCE the shifter into the gear. You can hear a bit of a grind and a slight whirring sound while its trying to pass through.

Whats causing this and what do I tell my dealer?

BTW - My dealer threatened that once I am in my extended warranty period they are going to be MUCH tougher on warrantying anything because of my "mods", see sig. I have 1500 miles left on my factory warranty. I will be getting rid of the V as soon as they try and give me a problem on a warranty item. *End Rant* :helpless:

I dont know about intermitantly i mean some times your gears just dont line up right and you get a little grind some thing as if you at a stop and try to put it into first and it wont go in full just let out on the clutch a little and it should slide in it means its almost there but your syncro sleeve just cant get it. but the whirring sound you hear is your clutch disc spinning up to the speed it need to be to match the flywheel. thats why sometimes is you down shift you will also hear that whining sound. if that is the sound your talking about. i hope that help a little bit.

Natedog
10-25-07, 01:38 AM
I dont know about intermitantly i mean some times your gears just dont line up right and you get a little grind some thing as if you at a stop and try to put it into first and it wont go in full just let out on the clutch a little and it should slide in it means its almost there but your syncro sleeve just cant get it. but the whirring sound you hear is your clutch disc spinning up to the speed it need to be to match the flywheel. thats why sometimes is you down shift you will also hear that whining sound. if that is the sound your talking about. i hope that help a little bit.
No, if LV is talking about the same scenario I am, it's much more violent than that. It's not simply being incapable of downshifting properly,.... for whatever reason it only happens to me when i try to put it in reverse... i had it reappear this evening after having my clutch fluid topped off at Lindsay (much thanks to them for the quick turnaround). I'll continue to monitor it over the next few days and if it continues, I'll take it in for a closer look...

CTS/VIPER
10-27-07, 09:13 PM
My lovely dealer said the grinding while going into reverse is "just the way it is with the V" .. and if it ever "breaks" they will gladly replace things.. nice.

GM

Scotty7751
10-28-07, 11:43 AM
dude i would be jamming that thing in gear so hard trying to break it to get warranty.

darkman
10-28-07, 05:39 PM
My lovely dealer said the grinding while going into reverse is "just the way it is with the V" .. and if it ever "breaks" they will gladly replace things.. nice.

GM

Pure nonsense. Your dealer is defective and should be replaced immediately.