: Are there any good oil additives to add...

limoguy
10-23-07, 11:42 AM
....to my 98 deville north* with 120,000 miles on it? She runs good, uses about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Im just tryying to keep everything running properly. thanks:thumbsup:

Submariner409
10-23-07, 12:09 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 2,000 mpq is right on target for a healthy N*. You'll notice in your owner's manual that GM recommends no oil additive.

limoguy
10-23-07, 12:15 PM
thanks for the good news submariner:banana:

eldorado1
10-23-07, 02:47 PM
Yes, GM's engine oil supplement (EOS)

Please note that EPA nazi's have discontinued the product. It is however still popping up on ebay.

Submariner409
10-23-07, 05:09 PM
eldo1......EPA's nazis didn't pull EOS off the shelves, GM did because people were using it as a constant oil additive and messing up O2 sensors and catalytic convertors. Most GM sites are now selling a (don't quote me...) Redline product as a substitute.

Early in the summer there was quite a thread about EOS, and one of the posts called attention to the fact that GM had changed the label to specifically NOT recommend that it be used as an everyday supplement. (The handwriting was on the wall...)

I have 2 cases of the stuff and use it for what it is: an engine assembly lube.
Why? Because I build flat-tappet Chevy 454 and Olds 455 boat engines.
Some roller stuff, too.......

Why hype a product that is now Unobtainium ?

limoguy
10-23-07, 06:22 PM
thanks..im going to keep an eye on the level, change the oil when nessesary & thats the end of it!!:stirpot:

dkozloski
10-23-07, 06:58 PM
Wynn's Friction Proofing, Pyroil, Riselone, Casite, Motor Honey, STP, Slick 50, Zmax, TCP, Holt's Piston Seal, Marvel Mystery Oil, CD-2, Bardahl, Lucas, Ecotek 100, Fin Lub, MOV, Bitron, Flashlube, Duralube, Mainline 255, Hyperlube. I'm sure there are many more. Try all these out and come back so I can give you an additional list.

limoguy
10-23-07, 07:04 PM
wow...are you sure its a good idea to use one of them in the northstar?.

eldorado1
10-23-07, 08:03 PM
eldo1......EPA's nazis didn't pull EOS off the shelves, GM did because people were using it as a constant oil additive and messing up O2 sensors and catalytic convertors. Most GM sites are now selling a (don't quote me...) Redline product as a substitute.

The EPA pressured GM to discontinue the product (in the US only).

My sources tell me it is still available in Canada...

dkozloski
10-23-07, 10:33 PM
wow...are you sure its a good idea to use one of them in the northstar?.
Everyone of these additives has had their 15 minutes of fame that somehow seemed to coincide with a mass media advertising campaign. If anyone of them was significantly better than the others or had any benefit at all it would be the only one on the market. They all base their performance on the same basic components, duck butter, hucksterism, and hype.

Ranger
10-23-07, 11:07 PM
Bottom line is change the oil when the OLM tells you to (or sooner) and don't add any snake oil.

limoguy
10-24-07, 02:59 PM
sounds good..thanks ranger

racetek27
11-01-10, 10:18 PM
zMax successfully helped oil burn and noise problems on the Northstar engine. GM Cadillac Division issued a PI recommending it on cars experiencing these problems.

Bob Is The Oil guy site has great info on zMax . Look it up.

Thanks

Submariner409
11-02-10, 10:12 AM
zMax successfully helped oil burn and noise problems on the Northstar engine. GM Cadillac Division issued a PI recommending it on cars experiencing these problems. Bob Is The Oil guy site has great info on zMax . Look it up. Thanks

Curious that zMax has been in and out of court with the Federal Trade Commission several times for making unsubstantiated advertising and product performance claims.

What is the GM Technical Service Bulletin number for this product ??

...........and, while the "bobistheoilguy" sites are interesting to read, remember that they are sponsored by oil additive manufacturers. You have to study it all - not only what you want to believe............:stirpot:

ponyboyt
11-02-10, 12:01 PM
ive used Lucas. As expensive as it all is, (i have 3 cars that burn oil) the cheapest additive ive ever used is.........

More oil.

racetek27
11-04-10, 08:35 PM
Curious that zMax has been in and out of court with the Federal Trade Commission several times for making unsubstantiated advertising and product performance claims.

What is the GM Technical Service Bulletin number for this product ??

...........and, while the "bobistheoilguy" sites are interesting to read, remember that they are sponsored by oil additive manufacturers. You have to study it all - not only what you want to believe............:stirpot:

The BITOG site is sponsored by major oil companies. zMax is not a sponsor and was first slammed but after test and other data info was posted, the information is being well accepted.

On the FTC case, zMax was challenged once back in 2001. They conducted several million dollars of ASTM/SAE testing and kept every performance claim.

The Marketing company hired by zMax had put a percentage number on the fuel mileage claim in their infomercial and that cost the company 1 million on the marketing error. Products are not allowed to use a specific percentage number when stating that a product improves gas mileage due to the many variables in vehicle types, driver habits,etc.

The performance claims were all allowed and continue to be seen years later on all their advertising.

If you go to BITOG site, a founding member named Johnny ( He's used the product in his family for 40 years ) has posted great information on the product as well as the actual GM Cadillac PI ( Performance Information ) letter issued by GM.