Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I read a post about top tier gasoline....

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  krimson_cardnal 
#1 ·
....does using top tier gas mean I can easily run 87 octane in my 98 deville? I havent tryyed it but I wanted to get some feedback on it. Where I live I do have shell stations, some Chevron`s but thats it from the top tier list. thanks.

#2 ·
There's a year crossover for recommended N* octane requirements. The N* PCM "listens" to a pretty sensitive knock sensor, so you would probably be OK with 87 for normal driving, but not towing or extended mountain climbing.

Do a google for "top tier, techron, gasoline". Settle in for a long session.

#4 ·
Just as an aside, the google reads on top tier fuels will make specific mention of Chevron's TECHRON additive, which is now licensed to a lot of national and local fuel blenders. (BP is recommended by Ford, but is not a top tier fuel...)

AutoBarn, in your area, sells 20 oz. bottles of TECHRON for around $8. Quite expensive for a one-time shot, but that's all that's recommended every 3-4,000 miles. West Marine also sells the stuff. It's magic in a marine engine.

#5 ·
Yes, I know BP is not top tier but its 6 cents off umitimate today. As far as top tier stations are concerned, I went to the top tier web page, they list shell & chevron...Those are the only two in my area. I will definitely try shell probably in a couple days. thanks:lildevil:

#6 ·
BP+Chevron Techron=Top Tier. The base stocks of all common brand name gasolines come from the same refineries, are the same, and they all contain a small amount of system cleaners by EPA regulation. Top Tier gasolines contain additional system cleaners above and beyond that required by regulation. Add the cleaners to the cheaper gas yourself.

#8 ·
the difference is about 4-6 dollars a tank at most...

if you buy a bottle of "additive" to add to your 87 you should have just hit the button for 93 while you were at the pump because you just paid more...

I run exclusively 93 octane in mine unless i am bottom of the barrel broke in which case i cut out a mcdonalds meal and still fill with 93...or i slip in about 5-10 bucks of 87 to carry me to my bi-weekly paycheck so i can grab a bottle of techron and refill with 93...

coincidentally i have no fuel system or performance issues...

i also notice a difference between running on 87 and 93...a little with the 93+tech mix but not so much...

#9 ·
fubar,

TECHRON is not any form of an octane booster or all-purpose fuel system additive. It is an engine deposit cleaner blended into some gasolines, in microscopic amounts - parts per million.

The 20 oz. bottle says to use that much of a slug only once every several thousand miles.

Google the "top tier" sites and figure out what the stuff really is.

It is NOT "104+" - not even close.

#11 ·
this much i know...but thanks for restating the obvious...

i have been using it recently to help clean out 110k miles of gunk...2 bottles in the first tank (cause it only treats 12 gallons, caddy is 18+) and 1 bottle in each of the 3 sucessive tanks...then im done...

even if i were looking for an octane booster...i don't think "104+" even is as powerful as it used to be...i wouldnt even bother. if i were serious abotu needing anything mroe than 93 i'd buy a 55gal drum of 110 and blend my own...

#12 ·
octane boosters don't work... They state on the bottle +5 points octane or some such.... What they don't tell you is one point = 0.1 octane

So dumping a bottle in a tank of 87 will give you 87.5 octane

I highly recommend top tier fuels, or at least using techron or one of the other additives... They do work, and there are tests out there that prove it.

#16 ·
Damage? What damage? I ran my '97 on 87 on the advice of the Guru for 3 years before selling it at 107K 2 years ago. My neighbor is still driving it. You WILL NOT do any damage by running 87. I would never tell anyone to do that if it were possible to damage the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.