: XM Radio in the STS

MARKVIII
10-23-07, 10:32 AM
so when i bought my car the xm radio was working. i guess whoever owned it before me had signed up. that was about 4-5 months ago. the other day it stopped working. i don't use it much because i mostly listen to my ipod or mp3cd's but it is nice to have (especially for free). i like to listen to cnn or the 70's channel (showing my age here)
so anyway i call up xm to see how much it would cost to reactivate it. i always heard that they are giving good deals especially if you are trying to re-up your subscription. they want $50 clams to reactivate it and $14 per month payable annually or quarterly. i told him that was absurd and if there were any deals going on and he said no and hung up. so i guess i will do without. anyone else have any input on this subject??

jgrade
10-23-07, 11:09 AM
Yeah, XM sucks. I can somewhat understand GM's decision to go XM but I want Sirius. I called XM to see what deals were available for 2 vehicles (the wife has an Envoy) and they wouldn't budge. They conceded to combine the account into one, but then added a $3 "convenience" fee to be billed monthly instaed of the annual fee up front. I could avoid the $3 fee by gicing them a credit card, but i know better then to get into that trap. Try to cancel hassle free when they have a CC on file. I told them to shove the fee, which is like an additional 15-20% per month and cancel my account. Without argument or attempt to keep a current customer with at least 2 receivers, it was over. Of course I did receive a bill for the following month which i had to call and complain about, but now it's over.

Unfortunately, Sirius, while having better programming, is just as unfriendly. I called asking about deals and possible OEM swap out for a new tuner. No dice. They only had a home unit on sale and could care less that I wanted to purchase equipment and sign up 2 vehicles for then next 3 years.

So I listen to MP3's most of the time. For two companies that are drowning in debt, you think they would be more accommodating to their customers.

MARKVIII
10-23-07, 12:50 PM
exactly how i felt. both companies are doing so bad they are trying to merge into one. i like sirius better (howard stern) but was willing to reactivate xm IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. hell it don't cost them anything to turn the signal back on to my car. i would have been willing to pay the most $10 per month for the convienance of having it in my car. they can shove it up there arse. and then the nerve to ask $50 for reactivation fee. let them drown in there debt for all i care.

Curious George
10-23-07, 04:19 PM
I let my XM lapse after the trial period. I, too, would prefer Sirius. Got a direct mail piece some months ago offering $70 for a year and waiver of the reactivation fee. I took it. Let's see what happens when the year runs out.

Force-1
10-23-07, 08:54 PM
I renewed the XM in my STS for $77 a year, and got the same deal twice now in my '05 Corvette. Quite simple--demand it, or threaten to cancel. If they say no, hang up and call again. Different phone reps do make a difference.

I hang out at the Corvette Forum, and there are hundreds and hundreds of cases of guys getting their XM renewed for $77. Just be persistent.

I told my boss this, and he got the $77 deal in his '07 GMC Sierra.

Caroutisine
10-23-07, 09:28 PM
XM sound quality is poor in the STS.

Leicajh
10-23-07, 09:46 PM
Mine is excellent But it is very flat here in Texas.

Lifer
10-24-07, 10:02 AM
Mine is excellent But it is very flat here in Texas.

Agreed. And XM is as good as Sirius sound. Only problem with XM - too much talk between the music. Sirius is better there.

ewill3rd
10-24-07, 10:37 AM
Define "stopped working".
There could be a hardware issue, however if you get it fixed you will still have to activate it to get it working after the repair.
It depends on how it isn't working.

Heavy_Metal
10-24-07, 11:26 AM
I bought a 5 year XM deal in 2005 just before the prices went up and I am happy with that.

I also saw my favorite band do a one hour live performance in XM studious that aired 3 times on boneyard. So for me XM rocks!!!

I agree the sound is compressed a lot for the satellite radio, but it is really convenient to have your favorite station everywhere you go even in radio blackout areas near Greenbank, WV.

:cool:

Skibanker
10-25-07, 10:42 AM
Well, gotta take the other side on this one. It costs a ton of money to build satellites and then launch them into space, not to mention the cost of keeping , what, 130 or so stations on the air with mostly no advertising? If they're not making a profit charging what they do, they will certainly go down the tubes a lot faster giving everyone "deals". They need to charge enough to cover expenses and a reasonable profit to the shareholders or my XM button will go dark in a hurry. I happen to think that the advantages outweigh the cost. Unfortunately, there's not enough people who agree with me and pay the freight or XM and Sirius wouldn't be talking merger.

BirdJC
11-02-07, 04:32 PM
XM sound quality is poor in the STS.

I've always thought this too, to me when I switch from regular fm to xm the volume is always way down for xm signals??? is normal?

ewill3rd
11-02-07, 06:49 PM
The volume issue is because of the input levels and output level of the receiver as an external source vs. the internal radio sources.
Yeah, it is a drag but you can't do much about it.
I think the newer ones they did a much better job on.

justgreat
11-02-07, 07:58 PM
from someone who grew up on free form fm and then commercial free college stations, xm was a godsend....i did not listen to the radio in my seville before the sts. to be able to listen to the roots of r&r, blues, jonathon shwartz!!....having xm in the sts makes driving a thoroughly enjoyable experience...to be able to listen to my favorite music and not have commecials?...it's a nobrainer.

jackg
06sts6

lbwd
11-04-07, 10:14 PM
I wonder, if you're a subscriber to Sirius or XM, if they give you access to their online radio as well. It's the exact same thing. If I knew for sure that they gave me online access then I'd buy into it. Otherwise I'll just keep listening to Shoutcast programming through Winamp for free... with thousands of stations and good quality. :)

Skibanker
11-04-07, 11:22 PM
I wonder, if you're a subscriber to Sirius or XM, if they give you access to their online radio as well. It's the exact same thing. If I knew for sure that they gave me online access then I'd buy into it. Otherwise I'll just keep listening to Shoutcast programming through Winamp for free... with thousands of stations and good quality. :)

Yes, with XM, you get free internet access. I listen at work and home all the time.:)

lbwd
11-04-07, 11:37 PM
Sweet! That makes it worth it.