: What upgrades to add while V is in the shop?

Knuguy
10-23-07, 01:33 AM
Like the title says - my V took some heavy front end damage, what suggestions do you guys have for additions now that its all got to be replaced any way. Already have a Cowl hood on the list - any suspension like GC were planned as well. Looking at the car, what else needs replacing that I can put on better performance wise or if anything aesthetically available - I'm all ears...

And there is still a chance the car is totaled - waiting on insurance - $17k in damage is the estimate. Drunk pulled out in front of me in a 55mph zone - that how we got to this point.....

heavymetals
10-23-07, 02:01 AM
Glad your ok(?).

I would walk away.

If you can't, then I would have the motor work done while it is yanked apart.

Depends on how much you want/can sink into it.

I would have opened the door and fallen out on the street clutching my neck.............

Naf
10-23-07, 05:06 AM
From experience and the pics i see you may have some structual damage to the driver side frame.

The engine has moved, and so has the suspension.

My advice, get a new V. For the old will never drive the same, and in the back of your mind you will be thinkin of it...

Had a 355 spider that had a similar accident, and never pushed because of the accident from previous owner...

Keys8541
10-23-07, 09:06 AM
i hate drunk drivers. they are scum.
sorry about the bad luck man, but like the previous poster said, its never gonna drive the same. grab a new one.

Knuguy
10-23-07, 09:28 AM
Yes, I am hoping for some structural damage that will wipe the car off my hands. However IF the car is not totaled, I am hoping my lawyer can get some additional compensation. I bought the car used almost 1 year ago to the accident date - nothing like having 4 years of payments left on a car looking the way it is - like you all said, it will never be right..... and If they are going to fix it, might as well make it "better"

NormV
10-23-07, 10:47 AM
If the engine was not effect, everything is replaceable. Looks like mostly the soft, crush zone stuff. Just make sure paint is good and the seems line up and you'll be driving until the wheels fall off. :)

Keep us up to date.

Norm

pietroraimondi
10-23-07, 11:26 AM
I would first and foremost retain an attorney to communicate with the drunk driver's insurance company as well as your own insurance company.

In speaking with your attorney; I would ask him to argue with the insurance company to assess the damage as a total loss.

At a first glance with an estimate of $17k in estimated repair damages; you're already at or above the 50% level of the cost to repair the vehicle when compared to the wholesale value of the vehicle.

50% or greater is usually considered the benchmark for insurers to consider the vehicle to be a total loss.

In addition; neither the body shop or the insurance company estimator is able to access at this time if there has been any internal damage to the vehicles drive train, (i.e. the internal components of the motor, transmission and differential).

Just a small amount of rear wheel hop in launching a V is known to damage the rear differential due to deflection. Now can you only imagine for a moment what kind of internal gear deflection may have occurred to the vehicles drive train when it came to a smashing halt at 50 plus miles per hour?

That's not something that you that you want to have rear its ugly head when it leaves the body shop and six months down the road you start experiencing internal drive train mechanical problems.

I think the best advice is to retain an attorney and insist that the vehicle be deemed as a total loss.

WHYTRY
10-23-07, 12:22 PM
Agree cut the loss and move on. That thing will never be the same. You will be dealing with a bend car, paint ruins, overspray and a dealer would never take it in trade. How would you sell it later? Your new buyer will see the cut marks where they have to weld a new front section on. Do not take it back for any reason. I normally don't say it but sue for a 09 V

Knuguy
10-23-07, 12:42 PM
Already have the attorney - that was first. Ins. Co (State Farm) needs 75% damage for total loss these days - so the $17K is near the 55% of the value. Ohio does not recognize a vehicle to lose value after an accident and is repaired. Some states do, not Ohio. (per attorney)

Motor looks to be pushed slightly back and to the pass. side. That has to come out. Mallet is right down the street from here - but dont have that sort of bank. Thinking more along the S/C route take the motor home and mount that up while out of the car....ehhh hoping for a positive phone call from my ins. agent.......

NormV
10-23-07, 01:02 PM
Cleveland pick-a-part is not far either if they cut you a check and you find a shop that will do the work. It is a used car, might as well out used parts on it.

You still never told us where this happened or how the driver faired. Don't worry, urby has you best in the shame department.

Norm - who is up in your area weekly.

Already have the attorney - that was first. Ins. Co (State Farm) needs 75% damage for total loss these days - so the $17K is near the 55% of the value. Ohio does not recognize a vehicle to lose value after an accident and is repaired. Some states do, not Ohio. (per attorney)

Motor looks to be pushed slightly back and to the pass. side. That has to come out. Mallet is right down the street from here - but dont have that sort of bank. Thinking more along the S/C route take the motor home and mount that up while out of the car....ehhh hoping for a positive phone call from my ins. agent.......

AdrianVanzulli
10-24-07, 08:58 PM
State Farm Ins. here in CA needs the damage to be >=70% of the value. I had a BMW M Coupe up until a month ago that was a total loss because of that. Now I'm driving an '06 V.

Cheers,

Adrian