: My V seems to wander on the highway above 60mph

faylix
10-22-07, 09:57 PM
Now this may be just me, as i've been used to driving a razor tight full race suspension AWD vehicle, but my V seems to wander *a lot* on the highway. I actually felt a little unsafe through the mild corners on 95 tonight.

Is there a checklist i should be going through to find out if this is all in my head, somethings up with my car, or maybe some changes that need to happen?

Car: 06 CTS-V
Tires: Dealer installed Goodyear RS-A's all season crappy tires.

No mods. is this the tires? (looking into a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or Nitto INVO's. I live in florida, rain is a problem. I think the front right tire is a little less inflated than the front left. I will def correct this tomorrow if not tonight.

Alignment?

It only seems to happen when cruising above 50mph. Maybe i just don't notice it below there.

I searched... i didnt find much. :banghead:

thanks guys!

nikon
10-22-07, 10:06 PM
It's usually the tires, but since you just bought it, I'd bring it back and ask for an alignment...or bring it to a goodyear, they do free alignment checks.

faylix
10-22-07, 10:11 PM
It's usually the tires, but since you just bought it, I'd bring it back and ask for an alignment...or bring it to a goodyear, they do free alignment checks.

As in tire pressure, or crappy tires?

nikon
10-22-07, 10:23 PM
well, not saying the RSA are crappy, but if they're anything like the F1's when they get worn they start wandering real bad...mine did, but you said dealer installed...so I assume they're new, are they runflats? If thats the case I'd bump up the pres. to 33-35 cold...that might stiffen the tires up a bit and help out some.

JimmyH
10-23-07, 12:36 AM
If you buy GS-D3, they tend to follow road grooves. So you may experience wandering with them also. But they are an exceptional wet pavement tire.

Twitch
10-23-07, 08:19 AM
My V did that. I went up to about 34/35 cold. It's good now.
Let us know how it turns out.

Keep in mind, the high pressure alarm goes off over 41 psi. Depending on how hot it is in Fl. you may need to play with the pressure.

rand49er
10-23-07, 08:30 AM
If tires aren't worn, could it be a toe-in (toe-out) issue?

nikon
10-23-07, 09:25 AM
his tires are worn, so I'm betting it's an alignment + tire issue....new tires and a free alignment check from good year to see if she's lined up...but be careful what good year you goto, some of the older ones don't have the correct alignment specs in there computer.

OldRoadDawg
10-23-07, 09:47 AM
I'm running the RSA EMTs on Mille Miglia wheels right now and there are no issues.
My GSD3s (255s) on the OEM wheels tend to follow every pavement variation on Pennsylvania's cowpath side roads.

faylix
10-23-07, 06:12 PM
Got a free alignment from the dealer that sold me my car. Makes a world of a difference. I'm beginning to wonder how far out of spec i was.

On a side note, who's bright idea was it to make you have to remove the front bumper to change a headlamp bulb!~?>

faylix
10-24-07, 08:23 AM
UPDATE:

Drive to work this morning car felt better.... but still felt realllllll squirly accelerating up to 80mph. Felt like lots of extra motion and like the rear wanted to come loose. I'm really hoping this is a Tire issue and the car just dosent usually act like this. My WRX could be driven with no roll and no fuss up to about 90-100mph with one finger.

Ughn. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomache as the car approaches 80 like the back is just gonna start swinging side to side. not good.

-J

rand49er
10-24-07, 08:44 AM
... felt realllllll squirly accelerating up to 80mph. ...Mine does, too ... but it's the maggie. ;)

faylix
10-24-07, 08:57 AM
Mine does, too ... but it's the maggie. ;)

I'm talking 6th gear acceleration from 60 - 80. :bomb:

atdeneve
10-24-07, 09:56 AM
I was gonna say you definitely have somethin wrong if your back end feels that unstable cruising at those speeds (or even accelerating hard at those speeds for that matter).

However, now that you specified acceleration in 6th gear at those speeds ...

Well, see, usually, when I accelerate between 60-80, I'm in third. As of late, for some reason or other, I've taken the leisurely route in 6th gear. First time I did so, I was surprised by what felt like my rear end taking a dip. Almost as if all the undulations in the road were amplified by accelerating in 6th. Best way to explain is, it's like that feeling when you're accelerating moderately/hard in a lower gear and you traverse a section of uneven pavement - an expansion joint, for example. Your rear takes that dip. After that brief moment of loss of contact with the road, your rear end sorta hunches down again after it regains traction upon contact.

Except in this case, I'm in 6th gear. And over what is more or less smooth pavement - only undulations, no breaks in pavement. Kinda weird to say the least. It's like, somehow the engine's power pulse is being transmitted to the wheels - the engine hiccups and ya feel it out back - in combination with the feeling of the rear hunching down after the crest of a slight hump (only you don't get the feelin of going over the hump so much as the hunchin down afterwards). Only way I can explain it. S'like the twilight zone n ish. Smooth power surge (slow though it may be in 6th gear) along with the deep grrrumble, than the pulse/dip, smooth, dip, dip, pulse, smooth. Yeah, es weird. Esta loco.

Don't know if that's similar to what you're experiencing, though, cuz you're sayin you feel like the rear's liable to step out on you, but anyways. S'that somethin you might be feelin' or not really? Cuz I know that really puzzles the shit outta me.

Twitch
10-24-07, 10:12 AM
UPDATE:

Drive to work this morning car felt better.... but still felt realllllll squirly accelerating up to 80mph. Felt like lots of extra motion and like the rear wanted to come loose. I'm really hoping this is a Tire issue and the car just dosent usually act like this. My WRX could be driven with no roll and no fuss up to about 90-100mph with one finger.

Ughn. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomache as the car approaches 80 like the back is just gonna start swinging side to side. not good.

-J

1. What pressure are running?
2. Deff check the torque on the lug nuts.
3. Do a search on tires. You'll find that lots of guys have problems when the EMTs get worn. Thats all I looked at the first month I had my car.

faylix
10-24-07, 10:36 AM
atdeneve: Which shocks are you running. Yeah its sort of like that. its a weird disconnected feeling that i associate with my car about to lose traction. I feel it more almost side to side undulations though.

Twich: 35 psi cold about 38-39psi hot Good year RSA EMT's

2. Easyiest way to do this? rent a torque wrench for autozone?

3. I dont think my tires are exactly 'worn' but i'll post a picture of em (alibite covered with dust from my parking lot. I hate cleaning the V every night!)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2417/1728858883_eda779cefc.jpg

faylix
10-24-07, 11:21 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/1729412125_5b8fa55557.jpg

Crappy picture, but you can see theres no checkard border.... FE4's.

atdeneve
10-24-07, 11:35 AM
FE4, as well. Got FG2s lyin around, along with an ishload of other crap ...:nono:

faylix
10-24-07, 12:09 PM
FE4, as well. Got FG2s lyin around, along with an ishload of other crap ...:nono:

Does the same happen for you in 5th? I'll try rocking out in 5th and see if it does the same thing.

atdeneve
10-24-07, 01:46 PM
Not sure. I'll try it tonight.

Lower gears, the acceleration is great enough that I don't think it'd even be possible to notice the pulse-like surge or dipping - unless, of course, you happen to go over a sectionthat causes you to temporarily lose contact with the road. Sixth gear is so tall that a pulse-like surge would be apparent over the more progressive surge of acceleration. As opposed to lower gears, where the whole acceleration event is a rapid surge. Fifth gear, I don't know. We'll see.

faylix
10-24-07, 01:50 PM
Not sure. I'll try it tonight.

Lower gears, the acceleration is great enough that I don't think it'd even be possible to notice the pulse-like surge or dipping - unless, of course, you happen to go over a sectionthat causes you to temporarily lose contact with the road. Sixth gear is so tall that a pulse-like surge would be apparent over the more progressive surge of acceleration. As opposed to lower gears, where the whole acceleration event is a rapid surge. Fifth gear, I don't know. We'll see.

Does everyones cars do this? Could this be something loose in your car that is possibly worse in mine? :rant2: I want to love the V so much but this just makes it hard to drive on the highway!

Seattle CTS-V
10-24-07, 01:54 PM
My car used to track horribly after changing to new tires. A good alignment fixed the problem. I went a little more aggressive and it also corners better too!

faylix
10-24-07, 02:00 PM
I dont think its a tracking problem per say. At low speeds or even 60mph it feels pretty rock solid. Over that and things start to get interesting.

atdeneve
10-24-07, 02:07 PM
The way you're describing it, it seems to me you're having a different situation than what I seem to be experiencing. What I'm experiencing doesn't necessarily provide me with any unease or feeling of unsafeness. It's more of a peculiarity. If what you are experiencing is a total lack of confidence while accelerating in 6th gear, that is more than just a peculiarity. Do you have stability issues while accelerating moderately to aggressively in lower gears or is it just the 6th gear?

Again, I don't have any issues or fears of my rear stepping out while accelerating in 6th. At this point, t's just a weird pulse/dip. Something that i just can't seem to make sense of. Nothing more. At least, as of now. Who knows, maybe there's a deeper underlying issue. But I'm certainly not feeling unsafe during relatively mild high speed corners. At least, not in 6th. That is not normal.

faylix
10-24-07, 02:26 PM
Low to mid speed cornering feels very okay in this car. Still not pushing it, but no real problems. Tracks very fine at mid to low speed and ripping through the low gears does not seem to produce the same kinds of issues. Feels very solid and nice through the corners. Steering feels a little loose in the highway, but i believe its because its just different than my car.

but when you're in 6th gear, not even really under acceleration, but cruising and slowing down everything seems to loosen up.

faylix
10-24-07, 02:57 PM
Well I ordered the FG2's today, Ordered a new set of KDW II's as well. If both mods on the car dont clear it up... well its to the cadillac dealer she goes.

Twitch
10-24-07, 11:37 PM
:D
Well I ordered the FG2's today, Ordered a new set of KDW II's as well. If both mods on the car dont clear it up... well its to the cadillac dealer she goes.

"My car has a problem, so I'll just get some expensive mods"
Wish I could do that.

faylix
10-25-07, 06:17 AM
:D

"My car has a problem, so I'll just get some expensive mods"
Wish I could do that.

benefits of living at home, no college loans, a good paying job and being relativly smart at money management.

Honestly i think the issues could have been *mostly* cleared up with the alignment and the rest of it is just me. I was used to driving a track preppred WRX every day. A big body caddy on all season tires with the soft suspension is not going to feel the same.

It took some money to make my wrx feel like, its gonna take some money to make the caddy do the same. :duck:

atdeneve
10-25-07, 09:13 AM
My car has several problems, so my expensive mods sit around for fear that dealers will give me problems and not address the situation. Oh wait, they already fail miserably at remedying anything and, if you can believe it, actually only cause more problems (scratch up steering wheel, scratch up wheels, grease up interior - can't get it out; tried ChemDry's Stain Extinguisher Grease & Oil Spot Remover - scratch paint, burn paint, totally fubar alignment, front end makin all sorts a groans, and it just seems to go on and on and ... well, you get the picture).

I guess I'm going about it the wrong way. Flip it around to adopt the new motto: "My car has a problem, so I'll just get some expensive mods" with a bit of an addendum "and actually install them." :sneaky: Yes, yes, that's the idea.

Well, maybe after my next visit. Ah, what a pwussy.:helpless:

And, no, not the same dealer.