: StealthV Tune w/ CA Emissions...?

AdrianVanzulli
10-22-07, 12:16 AM
Tried to do a search but no luck with an answer, see if any of you know...

Has anybody in CA had a StealthV tune and then gotten their car smogged? I understand it is for "off-road" use only, just wondering if anybody has experience with getting it past emissions as well?

Cheers,

Adrian

CTSV_Rob
10-22-07, 12:36 AM
I will have 2 ECM's, one for smog and one for pure fun.

I would bet the tuned one would be even better for pasing smog anyways.

wildwhl
10-22-07, 01:40 AM
FWIW -

I ran an aggressive StealthV tune in my 9 psi maggied V here in Nevada (Washoe Co.) and our smog restrictions are very similar to Cali's - no issues passing smog.

WW

StealthV
10-22-07, 01:44 AM
As long as you retain the factory catalytic converters, it'll pass just fine.

ewill3rd
10-22-07, 07:37 AM
Their test is like ours, as long as all the monitors pass and there are no codes set it will pass.
At least an OBD test, maybe not on the dyno if it requires what we call an ASR test.
(I think that is what we call it...:D)

StealthV
10-22-07, 09:19 AM
It's been California emissions-dyno tested and passed.

CIWS
10-22-07, 09:30 AM
Even with Free Flow Cats, can't the tune be set so that the vehicle would never trigger a code for Catalyst Efficiency in bank 2 (post Cat) ?

darkman
10-22-07, 09:46 AM
Even with Free Flow Cats, can't the tune be set so that the vehicle would never trigger a code for Catalyst Efficiency in bank 2 (post Cat) ?

Good question. The engine builders around Houston are saying that engine mods (other than a tune), including headers, are almost worthless unless you get rid of the stock cats.

AdrianVanzulli
10-24-07, 09:33 PM
Thanks everybody for the input.

Side note:
Has anybody ventured to do a tune on their own with an HP or LS2-Edit Tuner?

Cheers,

Adrian

Luna.
10-24-07, 10:17 PM
It's been California emissions-dyno tested and passed.

Aye. If memory serves, Reed tested it with John a few years back in Ontario, CA. If Reed chimes in, he can hopefully provide more details.

StealthV
10-24-07, 10:48 PM
Sure, one can fool the smog cops by turning off codes, etc. Aftermarket cats, especially with headers, are notorious for not living up to expectations when CARB starts sniffing around. No pun intended.

CTSV_Rob
10-24-07, 11:05 PM
Luckily they only poke around once every 2 years. Just need to make sure the major mods still pass smog like...
- Supercharger
- Heads
- Cam
- flywheel

Exhaust and Cats can be swapped back easily so why sweat it.

Mystical_Ice
10-25-07, 09:52 AM
Darkman: I'm getting headers, high flow cats, and electric exhaust cutouts installed end of the year at MTI, by the way :D

darkman
10-25-07, 10:07 AM
Darkman: I'm getting headers, high flow cats, and electric exhaust cutouts installed end of the year at MTI, by the way :D

Fantastic. Let me know how that goes. I am still considering headers & cats on the way to MTI heads and a cam.

NormV
10-25-07, 10:16 AM
Thanks everybody for the input.

Side note:
Has anybody ventured to do a tune on their own with an HP or LS2-Edit Tuner?

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian, there are a few of us using HPTuners and EFI Live. Have not heard too much about LS1/2 edit group as sounds like they got left in the dust of the other two.

I used F.A.S.T. complete system(replaces PCM) on another car and liked it allot. There is allot of things you can change in the PCM, BCM coming soon from HPTuners, but the learning curve is like a full time hobby so you don't do something unreversable.

Find a stopping point in the mods and contact Rick for his tune. You'll love it!

Norm

Tomahawg
10-25-07, 02:48 PM

What kind of headersand cats?
Also could some one explain the electric exhaust cutouts

One more? Do you think you will have problems getting car inspected in harris county after you are through?

Mystical_Ice
10-25-07, 04:41 PM
kooks 1 7/8 headers, not decided on the cats yet, but i have 2 months to think about it and purchas them, so i'm not too worried.

electric cutouts are basically a Y joint, with a flange that can open or close the second 'out' pipe.
http://www.buickgn.com/excut1.jpg
http://www.pfyc.com/mm5/graphics/new/gn5002.jpg
some of the newer ones you can control how wide they open, so you can tweak the sound of your exhaust by turning a little knob from the comfort of your air conditioned cabin :)

i've heard a trans am with electric cutouts (which would essentially be the same as any cutouts i would assume), and the difference in sound it makes is just unbelievable. we're talking a complete stock sound (stock muffler and pipes) to near open headers :D

no i don't expect to have any problem passing my inspection. i mean really the headers and cats wouldn't affect it any, and the electric cutouts will just be closed when i take it to get it inspected. in all honesty the reason i'm getting the cutouts in the first place over, say, a good corsa or b&b is because i like the refined, quiet sound, but i want to be able to open it up all the way if necessary :)

it's going to be dyno tuned with the cutouts open

AdrianVanzulli
10-25-07, 05:00 PM
Adrian, there are a few of us using HPTuners and EFI Live. Have not heard too much about LS1/2 edit group as sounds like they got left in the dust of the other two.

I used F.A.S.T. complete system(replaces PCM) on another car and liked it allot. There is allot of things you can change in the PCM, BCM coming soon from HPTuners, but the learning curve is like a full time hobby so you don't do something unreversable.

Find a stopping point in the mods and contact Rick for his tune. You'll love it!

Norm

Norm,

Well my current hobby is rebuilding my Aprilia from the ground up, so once that's done I should have quite a bit more free time for the V. :)

What do you mean by a F.A.S.T. complete system btw?

The V is actually in the shop today. Just getting a few things tightened up that I noticed once I took the car home. Been a fairly solid 2+ weeks so far.

Cheers,

Adrian