: V Developed a Whine Today ... Only It Is In The Engine Bay Not The Diff - Any Ideas?

mdc
10-21-07, 10:39 PM
Took my wife and daughter on a nice and easy ride through the northern part of the city ... my daughter is only 14 months so I can't recall ever having the engine over 4500rpm at any time

Anyway, on the way back at a stoplight, I feel a wierd vibration coming through the clutch pedal ... nothing crazy, but definetly different than usual.

At the next light, during take off a very noticeable whine can be held from the front of the car. The higher the rpm, the louder the whine became - especially in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (again never taking it above 4500rpm to shift, but at about 4000rpm the whine is VERY loud). It was only another 20kms or so to the house, I so drove it home.

In the driveway I pop that hood and had my wife gas it a little ... the noise is very loud and coming from under the trash lid. Doesn't sound good at all.

Oil level is normal and the belts seem to be fine from what I can see ...

It's going to the dealer in the morning (the dealer is only 5 minutes away) ... any ideas? It is definetly not the diff ... the whine from the engine is much louder than the rear diff (if that is possible). My only mods are CAGs and UUC ... It's a 2006 with 47000kms

rand49er
10-21-07, 10:48 PM
Assuming the maggie fairy didn't visit you the night before, could it be a power assist device like the steering pump (low on fluid?) or ???

nikon
10-21-07, 10:50 PM
^^ that'd be my bet...mine was really loud too when it was low on fluid.

mdc
10-21-07, 10:51 PM
Would the whine on a pump get louder as the RPMs went up?

Mystical_Ice
10-21-07, 11:01 PM
well the steering pump is belt driven (as far as i know), so the higher the RPMs of the engine, the higher the RPMs of the steering pump.

rand49er
10-21-07, 11:02 PM
Not sure, but the old school cars would whine like a stuffed pig when the steering wheel was turned with low fluid levels. Seems like there was SOME additional whining with RPM levels.

Sorry, I'm no mechanic ... I know just enough to be dangerous. :duck:

CTSV_Rob
10-21-07, 11:13 PM
Assuming the maggie fairy didn't visit you the night before, could it be a power assist device like the steering pump (low on fluid?) or ???
What do I need to put under my pillow for the Maggie fairy to come?

rand49er
10-21-07, 11:21 PM
What do I need to put under my pillow for the Maggie fairy to come?Four or five G's. :D

CTSV_Rob
10-21-07, 11:42 PM
GGGGGG

I even threw in an extra!

The Tony Show
10-22-07, 11:41 AM
Power steering fluid low. :thumbsup:

atdeneve
10-22-07, 08:05 PM
Tell me where I can get a maggie for 4 or 5 Gs. I'll take one please.

rand49er
10-22-07, 08:32 PM
Got mine on eBay, polished, with "200 miles" on it ... or so he said. He also said it'd take another $50 in misc parts to be complete. After about $600, it was indeed complete. :helpless: Total cost? About $4.8k. Others have managed to do it for less, albeit not polished, but still goes like stink.

BTW, anybody (practically) can do the install. The individual steps are focused and broken down into very small amounts of effort. Just need to buy the tools necessary. Most of mine were bought at Sears, Harbor Freight, and eBay.

Jon
10-22-07, 10:27 PM
Hey Michael,

Nice to see you around, and sorry to hear about the V. Did the dealer take care of it for ya?

I recently had the exact same problem on my daily driver ('96 Windstar). Whining noise from the engine compartment. If I didn't know better I woulda sworn someone put a maggie on the van. Got louder with the RPMs. Turned out to be a bad bearing in one of the pulleys. I don't know if that's your case since your V's pretty new and my case happened with an 11 year old van, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

mdc
10-23-07, 07:57 AM
I broughtit in yesterday and they said they would take care of it ... They haven't told me what the problem is yet (I didn't have an appointment so I am not sure they got to it yesterday), but the service advisor also thought it was steering pump related. They also said mu brake pads looked low so they would do the brake job at the same time

In the mean time, I am rocking my loaner Grand Prix ... I forgot how lame slushboxes and FWD was ...

CIWS
10-23-07, 08:11 AM
Did it recently get cold there about the time the noise started or a sudden drop in temps like from 11 deg C to 0, something like that ?

Jon
10-23-07, 09:07 AM
Glad to hear they're taking care of it.

By the way, if you think that GP is bad... When I brought my car in for motor mounts, I got a base Pontiac G5 with no power windows/locks/mirrors.

CIWS: It's been 24C here LOL.

nikon
10-23-07, 09:23 AM
Did it recently get cold there about the time the noise started or a sudden drop in temps like from 11 deg C to 0, something like that ?

good point, there is a TSB on that.

mdc
10-23-07, 09:54 AM
this weekend was beautiful ... it was like a summer day when it happened

CIWS
10-23-07, 10:32 AM
good point, there is a TSB on that.

:yeah: :)

this weekend was beautiful ... it was like a summer day when it happened

Ok thought I would check because of the TSB. Mine actually started doing that (again) yesterday because we went from about 28C to 7 overnight. Last time it occured I tried to take it to the dealership, but after it warms up it stops (in the TSB) and they said they couldn't recreate it. When it happened yesterday I got it there before it quit and let the advisor hear it, by the time I got ready to leave it had stopped. But they did confirm it was doing it.

mdc
10-23-07, 11:37 AM
Dealership just called ... Aparently the "high pressure lines" associated with the steering pump have failed. They ordered a new set to install, but they won't arrive until Saturday ... :(

Oh well ... as long as they fix the problem

andrew-g
10-23-07, 12:37 PM
Dealership just called ... Aparently the "high pressure lines" associated with the steering pump have failed. They ordered a new set to install, but they won't arrive until Saturday ... :(

Oh well ... as long as they fix the problem

What dealership are you taking it to? I'm also in Toronto.

Jon
10-23-07, 12:44 PM
Michael: Glad to hear they found the problem. :)

Andrew: I don't know Michael's dealer, but HMP in Hamilton is great. My local dealer that I usually deal with didn't want to replace my motor mounts, so I took to HMP. I'm the 2nd CTS-V they work on there, so they know their way around the car. It's quite a distance, but their service is great. They leave the car inside for me, take care of it, they didn't even put any mileage on my car for something that should have warranted a test drive.

And you 2 need to join OntarioCTS.com :p

mdc
10-23-07, 02:16 PM
What dealership are you taking it to? I'm also in Toronto.

I take it to Hawley because they are five minutes from my house. I hated going there until I started dealing with Andrew Bursey in the service department. He is the best service advisor I have ever dealt with at any car company. He goes out of his way to make my visits there absolutely painless (and I have been there for a bunch of reasons now).

The advisor I used to deal with there (who was fired from what I hear) promised to over stuff and never did and said that my UUC would void my warrenty ... :cookoo:

Andrew at Hawley is the best!