: royal purple on a N*

molotovman5000
10-21-07, 11:07 PM
Pros and cons for royal purple on a 99 concours??
does it really work any HP gains? thanks

Submariner409
10-21-07, 11:21 PM
Royal Purple is a well marketed line of synthetic lubricants. It occupies a niche in the boutique line of automotive products and will lube your engine as well as and as long as any other top drawer oil.

Use whatever brand suits your fancy in the viscosity range recommended for your engine.

If an automobile manufacturer could increase their CAFE with an oil recommendation, what would you think they would do?

AJxtcman
10-21-07, 11:53 PM
Royal Purple is a well marketed line of synthetic lubricants. It occupies a niche in the boutique line of automotive products and will lube your engine as well as and as long as any other top drawer oil.

Use whatever brand suits your fancy in the viscosity range recommended for your engine.

If an automobile manufacturer could increase their CAFE with an oil recommendation, what would you think they would do?

Cafe Hmmmmmmm
If you remove all the oil from a 3.6L V6 and the oil filter. Put a gauge on it will it make pressure and how much would you guess?

Rumor has it that they will make over 10 psi dry. This has been proven on a motor that had already been damaged from a lack of oil in it. They cracked the oil filter canister and the pressure dropped. hmm.

So Cafe has stepped up the way the internal combustion chamber engine has been designed and the way they looked at oil weight. :D

misfit6794
10-22-07, 12:01 AM
They did a segment on one of the spiketv shows where they switched all the fluids in a ls1 camaro to royal purple. I think they get like 8-11 rear wheel horsepower, don't exactly remember.

Submariner409
10-22-07, 12:15 AM
Maybe 10 psi air pressure until things begin to weld together, then, as dkoz says, "Things go plinkety plink".

Suppose the test engine/transmission in the spiketv piece was originally using, say 40W oil at the test start dyno run. (Was the oil weight specifically stated?) Then shift to 5W-20 or some such. Guaranteed hp gain from less oil drag and pumping restriction. You can pull the same stunt with molasses and olive oil.

Just exactly why do you think we have multi-viscosity oils? Engine longevity and fuel economy.

Cracked the filter and pressure dropped? Sure....everything downstream was welded shut !

dkozloski
10-28-07, 01:43 AM
The way you rig a comparative oil or additive test is to go first with the customers stuff and do the runs when it's cold. Swap the oil or add the snake oil, do a long warmup, run the test again. Just the warmup will produce the results the scammer is looking for. It's the same reason the milage improving scammers come out of the woodwork in the spring. The weather warming up supplies the increased milage they take credit for.

Submariner409
10-28-07, 12:10 PM
On the additive scam thing, in many states there's a gasoline mix change in the fall and spring as various additives are added, deleted, and percentage-changed in order to control vaporization and winter driveability.

This can and does change fuel mileage slightly.

Read the label on an additive bottle. "Contains petroleum distillates". Just exactly what do you accomplish when you add a petroleum distillate to a petroleum distillate? (Besides making an aftermarketer wealthy from realizing 99.96% profit on bottled mineral spirits with a trace of dye and methanol added....) Don't forget that plain bottled water is 2 - 3 times as expensive as gasoline. Scam.

You can often gain a couple of HP at the top end by lowering your oil level a half quart or so: It takes HP to whip all that oil into foam and around the crank. Dry sump ring a bell?

codewize
10-28-07, 04:36 PM
Well back in the SBC days we would use a windage tray to prevent foaming and splash back. :)

Submariner409
10-28-07, 04:59 PM
Yep, been there-done that. Use 'em all the time in boat engines. Somewhere in here I read that the N* has a sort of tray. Any truth?

codewize
10-28-07, 11:50 PM
Yes I think you're correct. I would guess that most modern engines have some sort of tray in them.

BlackCaddy87
10-30-07, 03:14 PM
I use royal purple in my 95 deville concours. Before I would maybe get 24 mpg on the highway and right after I used royal purple I averaged 27 mpg on a 550 mile round trip with an average speed of 65. My numbers at the track also went from a 12.7 at 83 to a 12.1 at 88.

fubar569
10-30-07, 03:28 PM
I use royal purple in my 95 deville concours. Before I would maybe get 24 mpg on the highway and right after I used royal purple I averaged 27 mpg on a 550 mile round trip with an average speed of 65. My numbers at the track also went from a 12.7 at 83 to a 12.1 at 88.

six tenths from changing oil?

dude...can i have some of what you're smokin?

also...tell me that's only about a 1,000ft track...there's no 95 deville on this planet that runs 12.1 in the 1/8th OR the 1/4 - which means i bet the timing devices aren't exactly calibrated or checked on a regular basis...maybe a squirrel tripped the light before you crossed?

either way...there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH you dropped SIX TENTHS (and GAINED 5mph? HOLY CRAP) JUST from changing oil...

dkozloski
10-30-07, 03:53 PM
Well back in the SBC days we would use a windage tray to prevent foaming and splash back. :)
We dry sumped SBCs to accomplish the same.

BlackCaddy87
10-30-07, 04:15 PM
your caddy ran a 12.7 in the thousand foot, and i'm sure there were a few other things that affected a quicker time. It was a little cooler and less humid when i ran 12.1.

BlackCaddy87
10-30-07, 04:22 PM
a 1/4 mile is 1320 feet and the 1/8 is 660, that would probably put my 1/4 mile time around 14.3 which is still flying. I'm still waiting on going back to the track with the new chip from fastchip. It had 230 hp before the chip and 245 after the chip, and this was after a 3 hour road trip in 90 degree heat with only about 30 minutes before the runs so thats pretty impressive if you ask me.

Submariner409
10-30-07, 05:52 PM
:hide: I said it at the beginning of this thread and I'll reprise it here: If you could gain a documented, repeatable improvement of +12% in gas mileage and +20-28 road HP from simply changing motor oils at the grade recommended for your engine, that would be the only motor oil on earth.

The petroleum wars are real, but differences of .01 percent, not 10, is the win or lose margin.

.......and from another thread, Don't fall into the trap of making 2 or more mods or changes at one time because you then have no idea which worked and which didn't.

Ranger
10-30-07, 10:37 PM
I use royal purple in my 95 deville concours. Before I would maybe get 24 mpg on the highway and right after I used royal purple I averaged 27 mpg on a 550 mile round trip with an average speed of 65.
Like Submariner said, if that was true, GM (and everyone else) would be using it as a factory fill. There were other factors in play here. Perhaps temps or a tail wind. There is simply no way changing brands of oil will give that kind of an increase in mileage, not even the almighty Amsoil.

BlackCaddy87
10-31-07, 12:53 PM
I watched an 03 Z06 on the dyno with mobile 1 synthetic oil do a pull, while still on the dyno they changed the oil with royal purple and did another pull. The gain was 11 horsepower at the wheels. They then put mobile 1 back into the vette and the horsepower went away. Go down to your local track and ask some of the drivers what they think of it, people swear by it.

Submariner409
10-31-07, 06:05 PM
Part of the equation is missing: What weight Mobil 1 and what weight Royal Purple.

No one is disputing the fact that Royal Purple is a good lubricant, but 20-30 engine hp gains are hard enough to realize from mechanical/electronic mods, much less the brand of slippery stuff you pour in............

Who sponsored the dyno work.....Mobil 1 or Royal Purple (through a straw sponsor)?

(At Dover Raceway the (NASCAR) drivers have no idea what oil is in the car, the crew chief does. The driver drinks Gator Ade and sprays champagne all over everyone........)

dano2407
12-13-07, 12:10 PM
Any info on the royal purple has anybody used it in there cadillac?

Submariner409
12-13-07, 02:48 PM
Royal Purple has been around for a long time, and is now a well-marketed line of synthetic lubricants which conform to the starburst oil manufacturers symbol. It is a tad on the pricey side, but you should Google or login www.royalpurple.com (http://www.royalpurple.com) for your education. All in all, it is probably in the same camp as any other leading brand of synthetic oil.

and again, if it did as some believe, it would be the only motor oil on earth due to market competition.

JimHare
12-15-07, 11:48 PM
Any info on the royal purple has anybody used it in there cadillac?

Actually, back before I "became knowledgeable", (e.g. before I discovered Caddy forums) I read somewhere that RP came highly recommended for the Northstar. I ran it in my '99 Deville for a good long while (um..bought a 5-gallon can..) and although I don't remember if it made a big difference mileage-wise, the only thing I actually remember is that the engine seemed to run a bit quieter. Since this was before I knew to run a NS hard, I was babying the Deville around for much of the first 30K miles I had it. After I found this and the CaddyInfo forum, I learned the Truth, and since then I've run Walmart 5W-30 Supertech for 30k+ in the Eldo, and 95K+ in the Deville with absolutely no problems whatsoever.