: 03 n* and trans in a 99 SLS

mpe331lx
10-21-07, 09:57 PM
I may be able to purchase a very low milage 2003 engine trans and wiring harness. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow and get the details of what model car it came out of.

I have a 99 SLS, I know that a 98/99 is the direct swap into my car.
If this engine has all the accessories and harness, will I run into any major problems with the install or getting it running?

AJxtcman
10-21-07, 09:59 PM
Major problems.

mpe331lx
10-21-07, 10:01 PM
Found this:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/120012-99-00-swap-differences.html

mpe331lx
10-21-07, 10:04 PM
On second thoughts I know one way to put a 00+ engine in a 99 and prior car. This would be a direct bolt in and you would need the harness also. I can check for any wire reconfiguring, but it is a direct bolt in.

A 00 to 02 Eldo.

If I can get the harness and ECM, What will be the major things that I have to MOD?

CadillacSTS42005
10-21-07, 10:15 PM
no no and um NO

AJxtcman
10-21-07, 11:05 PM
If I can get the harness and ECM, What will be the major things that I have to MOD?

Seville's are different. I need to take a look.

mpe331lx
10-22-07, 01:04 AM
no no and um NO

OK, what are the actual reasons whay I could not MAKE it work in my car.

Has anyone succsessfully done the swap?
Are you saying no because it cant EASILY be done?

Stripped down to the shell, is the 99 the same as an 03?

It would be no different than me swapping an ls1 into my 97 Camaro:
mostly everything is electronically and mechanically different, but skilled people commonly swap them into the 93-97 and older camaros.
If you ask the average F-body enthusiast if it can be done they will say no, This, this, and this is different.
One that is determined to do the swap will find out exactly what needs to be done to succsessfully get it done. Thats all I am trying to do.

Most Caddy owners would not go through the trouble of going through that, I'm not the traditional Caddy owner:shhh:

Most of my swap experience is in late model (maybe not so late any more) mustangs and camaros. I have swapped EFI motors into older carbed model cars, swapped from 4 bangers to v8s, swapped from pushrod 5.0s to DOHC 4.6s.

Compared to what I'm used to the engine is clocked in the chassis the wrong way and there is a bit more electronics to deal with (no pony car has heated friggin seats:bighead: )

I guess my origional question has been answered, NO it will not go in without hassle.

I got the car for a deal I could not pass up, and I now have found a 14K mile engine and trans for a deal that i may not be able to pass up either.

AJxtcman
10-22-07, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=mpe331lx;1259338]OK, what are the actual reasons whay I could not MAKE it work in my car.

Has anyone succsessfully done the swap?
Are you saying no because it cant EASILY be done?

Stripped down to the shell, is the 99 the same as an 03?[QUOTE]

The blocks are different and the crank sensors are located differently. The cranks are different. This means you will need to run all the 00 to 03 stuff. 98 on up Seville's have the battery under the back seat. This means that the fuse box under the hood is the main plug in for the engine harness. Yes you will need to use a 03 harness and pcm. all the 03 accessories and some of the AC lines. They mount to the compressor differently. The heater hoses will need to be worked out also

CadillacSTS42005
10-22-07, 05:22 PM
its a completely different transmission
thats why

mpe331lx
10-22-07, 06:59 PM
its a completely different transmission
thats why

So I cant put an engine, wiring harness, ecu, and transmisson from an 03 seville in my car because it's a different trans? :suspect:

CadillacSTS42005
10-22-07, 07:05 PM
look
you asked
were answering
you dont wanna listen then go for it
the only way it would work is if you grab the entire wiring harness from headlight to taillight and all computers all components and install them on your cars chassis
there were MAJOR design changes between those years not to mention any 96+ obd II Cadillac requires ALL computers in the car to be programmed with your cars vin and each cars vin has its own programming
in order to do what your asking youd need to program your vin into that 03s pcm and keep the 03 pcms programming which CANNOT BE DONE because there is no tuners for the Northstar engine.
ITS IMPOSSIBLE
again
NO NO and NO

AJxtcman
10-22-07, 08:10 PM
look
you asked
were answering
the only way it would work is if you grab the entire wiring harness from headlight to taillight and all computers all components and install them on your cars chassis
there were MAJOR design changes between those years not to mention any 96+ obd II Cadillac requires ALL computers in the car to be programmed with your cars vin and each cars vin has its own programming
in order to do what your asking youd need to program your vin into that 03s pcm and keep the 03 pcms programming which CANNOT BE DONE because there is no tuners for the Northstar engine.
ITS IMPOSSIBLE
again
NO NO and NO

I can put any VIN in a PCM that I want it.
I have so many tuning programs I can't count. The GM program is the best!
I can put the a 03 engine in a 99 Seville with out swapping any modules except the PCM.
I have an 02 trans mated up to a 99 engine and I have the 02 valve body. I am running the 99 PCM.
The 99 trans will work in an 00+ car and the 00+ trans will work in a 99 car with just a little help. :stirpot:

All the computers do not get programed with the VIN.
:rant2: As a matter of fact I am shipping out 4 with two VIN's in each.
I can knock it down to one, but it takes too long for nothing:rant2:

:stirpot: I can crank up the tune much more. :stirpot:

My turd just got a new program and it is a blast.

I picked up a half second.

I still don't think you have a PCM with my program!!

I think it was erased when it was installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant2:

You have never given me the Numbers I asked for!!!!!!!!!!!:stirpot:

Maybe I sent you Your program just to screw with you:stirpot:

You know I like to do that:lildevil:

Oh yeah I forgot :canttalk::kick:

CadillacSTS42005
10-22-07, 08:17 PM
lol
i ment BESIDES you AJ
but i assumed this is a you have to be there to do it type of thing
it wasnt a personal shot at you AJ
as i said before
youre a N* tuner god

but you dont have to be so mean to me

AJxtcman
10-22-07, 09:31 PM
I was nice this time I did not add the gay
See I can be nice:sneaky:
Next time the evil may come out:urb:

mpe331lx
10-22-07, 10:06 PM
look
you asked
were answering
ITS IMPOSSIBLE
again
NO NO and NO

Insted of just "No, No , No". And "you cant do it", this time You gave me a little usable information this time. I needed to know the obstacles that I WILL have to overcome to do the swap. I need to know the exact reasons of "why it cant be done".

Swapping harness' from head light to tail light on a same bodied car is not that hard at all (a little time cosuming), It all lays into place.
That is the worst case scenario. I am going to look into the wiring diagrams between the two cars and see what is ACTUALLY different between the two cars main body harness.

Most of the reasons that I've been given so far can be overcome.

I can put any VIN in a PCM that I want it.
I have so many tuning programs I can't count. The GM program is the best!

I can put the a 03 engine in a 99 Seville with out swapping any modules except the PCM.

I have an 02 trans mated up to a 99 engine and I have the 02 valve body. I am running the 99 PCM.

The 99 trans will work in an 00+ car and the 00+ trans will work in a 99 car with just a little help. :stirpot:

All the computers do not get programed with the VIN.

What are you using to program the ECM's, a Tech2 and factory GM software?

If I had acess to a wrecked 03 and could take whatever I needed out of the car, What items would I NEED to swap over?

Which computers need to match, (ECM and BCM?)

Can the 03 ECM be re flashed to match my current BCM or vice versa (if thats the ones that need to match)

CadillacSTS42005
10-22-07, 10:42 PM
wasnt tryin to be an ass
just hoping you realize the difficulty in doing this
as i dont see why you dont just get a 99-01 tranny
its the exact part and would be worlds easier

mpe331lx
10-23-07, 12:04 AM
I dont need a tranny. I need an engine (I am pretty sure I do). I would rather install a 14,000 mile engine and trans in the car than deal with rebuilding my 100k+ stuff.

I do know that I need to drop mine out and pull the heads. I pulled the plugs and turned it over with a breaker bar. I can hear the TC rubbing against the block or a guide and it locks up after a 1/4 turn either way. I am expecting some bent valves at a bare minimum.

CadillacSTS42005
10-23-07, 12:29 AM
what did you do dare i ask?

mpe331lx
10-23-07, 06:39 AM
what did you do dare i ask?

300 shot of N2o:histeric:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/118570-buying-99-sls-blown-engine-cheap.html

AJxtcman
10-23-07, 06:55 AM
Insted of just "No, No , No". And "you cant do it", this time You gave me a little usable information this time. I needed to know the obstacles that I WILL have to overcome to do the swap. I need to know the exact reasons of "why it cant be done".

Swapping harness' from head light to tail light on a same bodied car is not that hard at all (a little time cosuming), It all lays into place.
That is the worst case scenario. I am going to look into the wiring diagrams between the two cars and see what is ACTUALLY different between the two cars main body harness.

Most of the reasons that I've been given so far can be overcome.

What are you using to program the ECM's, a Tech2 and factory GM software?

If I had acess to a wrecked 03 and could take whatever I needed out of the car, What items would I NEED to swap over?

Which computers need to match, (ECM and BCM?)

Can the 03 ECM be re flashed to match my current BCM or vice versa (if thats the ones that need to match)

I am currently using the Tech II as a tool to transfer the files. I will have a MDI soon.

CadillacSTS42005
10-23-07, 12:21 PM
300 shot of N2o:histeric:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/118570-buying-99-sls-blown-engine-cheap.html

please tell me your kidding lol

mpe331lx
10-23-07, 05:00 PM
please tell me your kidding lol

Yeah, I was kidding about the nitrous.:)

I plan on dropping the engine out of the car this weekend to see what kind of damage has been done. I think that the previos owners had it a a shop and they were told that it needed an engine. I found a timing chain guide in a box in the back seat. I'm not sure if it is missing from the engine or they replaced it.