: 2008 STS bluetooth with iPhone

byron.hopp
10-21-07, 08:11 PM
The bluetooth and the iPhone seem to work correctly with the annoying exception that once I have given a command to call a number a VERY LOUD whining noise is heard. This seems to have no relationship to the RPM of the engine. It seems to happen 2 out of 3 times I use the voice command. My dealer installed a filter recommended by GM but it did not change the noise at all. Seems like it is a software issue where once the call is dialed the system needs to mute until ringing starts. Anybody else having this problem. My family has 5 (five) iPhones, car has problem with all. Wife has mitsubishi no problems (Rockford / Fosgate). Love all other aspects of the Car. Love to drive it. Wish I had gotten Heads Up. Maybe next time...

Byron...

dhemrick
10-21-07, 10:23 PM
I have an iPhone and have the same buzzing issue occasionally when connecting a call in my 2006 STS-V. I had the software on my nav system updated (presumably to the same software version you have in your newer car) and although I have fewer occurrences of this, it still happens occasionally.

I think what you are hearing is not electrical noise, but rather the actual data stream between the phone and the nav unit. It is interpreting it as actual voice data rather than something else (call setup data?), and the nav unit is trying to send it to the speakers thinking it is voice.

It is definitely a software compatibility issue between the iPhone implementation of bluetooth and the Denso implementation.

I don't know how to resolve it other than hope that the software updates on the iPhone eventually address it. I'm currently on iPhone version 1.1.1.

I'm sure if we report it to Apple and Denso they will just point fingers at each other. Bluetooth is a very ill defined standard that leaves a lot of interpretation to individual manufacturers, so it may just be something that you have to live with.

If I hear something different, then I will post it here.

leojhartiv
10-22-07, 12:45 PM
I too have an iPhone (1.1.1) and a 2006 STS V8. I don't notice a persistent hum, but I do get greeted with an extremely loud and ear-piercing buzz noise when I use my hands free.

GM-4-LIFE
10-22-07, 03:09 PM
It may be the annoying interference caused by the GSM technology that Cingular Wireless has. When I had Cingular Wireless, I had that same annoying GSM interference sound. When I switched to Verizon Wireless, that annoying sound was gone due to the CDMA technology.

Going from Cingular to Verizon was a world of difference better.

SG

dhemrick
10-22-07, 08:55 PM
I too have an iPhone (1.1.1) and a 2006 STS V8. I don't notice a persistent hum, but I do get greeted with an extremely loud and ear-piercing buzz noise when I use my hands free.

Yes, the ear splitting buzz is what we're all talking about.

With regards to AT&T(Cingular) versus Verizon, I had AT&T service with a Motorola RAZR and experienced no bluetooth issues. It wasn't until I switched to the iPhone that I started getting the buzz when it is setting up a call. During the call there is no problem.

Now, that said, there is NO way I'd go back to the RAZR. The iPhone is just too awesome! :yup:

Dirny
10-29-07, 08:43 PM
I have that annoying buzz with my iphone as well.

A bigger problem for me is the fact that the radio does not mute when I accept an incoming call. As the call is displayed on the nav screen and the phone rings, the radio is mute. As soon as I answer, the radio turns back on and drowns out the person who is calling.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do about it?

dhemrick
10-29-07, 11:42 PM

A bigger problem for me is the fact that the radio does not mute when I accept an incoming call. As the call is displayed on the nav screen and the phone rings, the radio is mute. As soon as I answer, the radio turns back on and drowns out the person who is calling.

That can be solved by upgrading the software on the nav system. I assume that your car is still under warranty? Report that to your dealer. They can order the upgrade disks for the nav and upgrade the software. I did that, and since the upgrade I have had no further problems with the radio failing to auto mute. Before the upgrade, auto mute never worked properly.

byron.hopp
11-03-07, 03:24 AM
My wife has a Mitsibushi with bluetooth (Fosgate? unit) and no problem with their implementation. I just hope that Cadillac will upgrade the software soon. Apple seems to be selling a large quantity of these iPhones.

Byron...

thefred
11-03-07, 01:57 PM
My wife has a Mitsibushi with bluetooth (Fosgate? unit) and no problem with their implementation. I just hope that Cadillac will upgrade the software soon. Apple seems to be selling a large quantity of these iPhones.

Byron...
Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out. As it stands now the three phones that are supposed to work with bluetooth are over three years old. They haven't added any new phones to the list since the bluetooth unit came out...

jjsocrazy
11-11-07, 12:43 PM
I too use the iPhone with my 07 STS. The bluetooth works very well compared to my Nextel and the iPhone gives better options such as using the speakerphone, sts, or just handset. I like the user-friendlyness although that buzz in the beginning scares the hell out of me!

VBCaddy
03-12-08, 10:14 PM
I have the same problems with my iPhone that have been posted, plus the fact that my iPhone won't instantly connect with my 07 STS. I have to manually go into the config menu of the bluetooth option and press connect. Anyone else with this problem? I had a RAZr with ATT before this on the thing worked great with my STS. No buzzing or loud data transmission noises at all.

gunner13
03-12-08, 11:10 PM
2008 STS... get the same loud "buzz" <whatever> when the call is initiated using my iPhone. Short duration but LOUD! Sheesh... never had a problem with the previous phone nor does with wife have a problem with her Sony/Erickson phone. There are occasions when the bluetooth doesn't connect but that happens infrequently. I like the iPhone well enough that I'll live with it but would take it to the dealer <or most anyone else> if a cure is found.

dhemrick
03-13-08, 10:47 AM
I have the same problems with my iPhone that have been posted, plus the fact that my iPhone won't instantly connect with my 07 STS. I have to manually go into the config menu of the bluetooth option and press connect. Anyone else with this problem? I had a RAZr with ATT before this on the thing worked great with my STS. No buzzing or loud data transmission noises at all.

If your phone won't instantly connect, it sounds like you have not selected that phone as the "default".

In the config menu for bluetooth, look at the the listing for your iphone. If it is not underlined, then it is not set as the default.

To make it the default, select the listing for your iPhone, then press the "default" button on the right. The entry will be underlined.

After you do that, it will connect up every time.

It doesn't solve the buzzing problem when making a call nor the failure to auto-mute problem, but at least you will connect up automatically.

greghills
03-16-08, 10:35 AM
If your phone won't instantly connect, it sounds like you have not selected that phone as the "default".

In the config menu for bluetooth, look at the the listing for your iphone. If it is not underlined, then it is not set as the default.

To make it the default, select the listing for your iPhone, then press the "default" button on the right. The entry will be underlined.

After you do that, it will connect up every time.

It doesn't solve the buzzing problem when making a call nor the failure to auto-mute problem, but at least you will connect up automatically.

I have a T-Mobile Dash unit that only connects sometimes to my '07
It is set as my default but only about half the time will it connect automatically.
I have noticed that when it doesn't connect, usually there is another bluetooth device in the car, like a headset or another bluetooth phone.

tomm
03-16-08, 01:25 PM
I have a T-Mobile Dash unit that only connects sometimes to my '07
It is set as my default but only about half the time will it connect automatically.
I have noticed that when it doesn't connect, usually there is another bluetooth device in the car, like a headset or another bluetooth phone.

Maybe the issue is with your phone and not the STS... If your phone has a preference of which device to use the STS would not be able to connect. Some phones if multiple devices are present use the order they were listed as preference.. If this is the case remove all the bluetooth connections from your phone and put the STS first.

Bradygriffin
04-22-08, 12:08 AM
I have the same loud "buzz" when connecting, and the phone does not always connect automatically. My iPhone is new (2 weeks old today). I've removed all pairings a few days ago but it did not pair again today. I'm a "gadget addict", and the phone and STS are set correctly. It was a real pain when the phone did not connect, but I installed the LockPick last Saturday and I can pair while driving now. Other times, I will be talking and when I get near the car (as expected), the phone will "pair" and I until I get inside, the conversation is on hold. I will think this over and post if I come up with a reason (or solution).
BG

Bradygriffin
04-22-08, 12:11 AM
I just realized Tomm has over 1,600 posts, I have a meager 39. Another late night (12:10 EST)............
BG

mlpjlk
07-10-08, 08:07 PM
Has anyone been able to pair an 07 STS with a Samsung Blackjack II? My old phone worked with the car. AT&T says the Blackjack is certified for all Bluetooth devices. My dealer's service department actually told me my car did not have Bluetooth..... the Cadillac Bluetooth site is a joke.

drjdan
07-15-08, 12:37 AM
I have upgraded my iPhone to rel 2.0 firmware. Now the buzz that used to have when phone call is placed seems to have gone away. I have not received an incoming call so I do not know what happens on incoming.

Anyone else have any new experience with rel 2.0 firmware?

jjsocrazy
07-15-08, 06:05 PM
I just got the new iPhone (after waiting 2 1/2 hours on line for it) and I still get that darn buzzing noise. Maybe when I get the Nav Disc update it will help.

Joe

dhemrick
07-16-08, 10:44 PM
I have upgraded my iPhone to rel 2.0 firmware. Now the buzz that used to have when phone call is placed seems to have gone away. I have not received an incoming call so I do not know what happens on incoming.

Anyone else have any new experience with rel 2.0 firmware?

I upgraded my iPhone to the 2.0 firmware too. Initially, I placed some calls and it seemed to be OK so I thought it had gone away, but today, I placed a call and it buzzed again so it looks like it is not resolved. :banghead:

rlivingood
09-18-08, 01:37 PM
Have the same loud buzz problem with Treo 680. It occurs only the first time I make a call then all subsequent calls are fine. I have updated the phone to the most recent 2.11 ATT version of software so no other updates are available to try. Phone is set as default.

I am going to try again to remove the devices on both the phone and the car and then re-add them. Might have something to do with the pairing sequence of install. Normally I set the phone up first and then search with the car to get them paired. I'll try searching with the car and then pair with the phone in the opposite order to see if that helps.

Anyone else have any ideas? Seems to not be related to type of phone given that in this thread it is happenign with iphone and at least treo.

rlivingood
09-18-08, 01:44 PM
I to have the loud buzz problem, but with a treo 680. This is a 2007 STS-V. The car worked fine with a Treo 650 and a sony 510 over bluetooth without any problem. I have removed both the 650 and the 510 and trying to get the 680 to work without the buzz. It is set as default. The buzz only happens for the first time I try to make a call and as long as it is paired with the car it will be the only time on all subsequent calls. Software on the phone was updated to the 2.11 aTT most recent versions.

I am going to try a different pairing sequence to see if that solves the problem. Instead of pairing the phone to the car and then having the car search for the phone, I'll have the car search for the phone and then pair the phone to the car.

drjdan
09-18-08, 11:57 PM
I have an iPhone 3G with the lastest Apple software and still have the problem on and off. Mine is a 2008 STS. I think the Bluetooth system in the car is the same as in I guess 2005 when they started this model run. If so, it was very early for Bluetooth and I am would assume it is like a version 1.

I also drive an Esclade without Bluetooth, so I turned off the bluetooth in the STS. I also use a Bluetooth headset, so I just leave it on and use in both STS and Esclade. That way I don't have to worry about switching or doing differently in one car or the other.

I do have the new Panasonic Link to Cell which is a cordless home telephone system that connects to wire telephone line like a regular cordless phone plus upto two cell phones over Bluetooth. So when I come in at home, I just put iPhone in charger and now have use of cell phone wherever I have one the cordless hand sets. It works great and I don't have to carry cell phone with me around the house to keep from missing a call or making a new call.

rlivingood
09-24-08, 09:29 AM
Ok, I have tried pairing and all the different options I could choose and still no luck. I continue to have a bad loud buzz the first time every time I use to make or receive a call. Subsequent calls do not experience this problem (thank goodness), but it sure isn't up to the Cadillac quality I would expect.

Is anyone aware of any additional TSB or other navigation software updates available. I am familiar with the early 07 update, but nothing since.

Also, i paired this phone with two other non-Cadillac cars and it works as expected.

Rod

drjdan
09-24-08, 10:31 PM
Ok, I have tried pairing and all the different options I could choose and still no luck. I continue to have a bad loud buzz the first time every time I use to make or receive a call. Subsequent calls do not experience this problem (thank goodness), but it sure isn't up to the Cadillac quality I would expect.

Is anyone aware of any additional TSB or other navigation software updates available. I am familiar with the early 07 update, but nothing since.

Also, i paired this phone with two other non-Cadillac cars and it works as expected.

Rod

I have found that if you turn the radio volume up one click and down on click, the buzz will not be present on the outgoing call.

nixonride
01-17-09, 03:31 PM
Has anyone come up with a resolution for this issue....Mine only happens on the first call but it is really really loud and since the fiance is usually driving around with a sleeping baby it is a real pain because the noise always wakes him up...I would prefer to use the BT in the car as opposed to an ear piece but if there has been no resolution I may have to.

drjdan
01-17-09, 06:46 PM
Has anyone come up with a resolution for this issue....Mine only happens on the first call but it is really really loud and since the fiance is usually driving around with a sleeping baby it is a real pain because the noise always wakes him up...I would prefer to use the BT in the car as opposed to an ear piece but if there has been no resolution I may have to.

I use headset only as I wear all day, but when I was trying our the BT, I found that if you adjust the volume up and down before using that seems to stop it.

dhemrick
01-17-09, 10:57 PM
I use headset only as I wear all day, but when I was trying our the BT, I found that if you adjust the volume up and down before using that seems to stop it.

Ditto that. I don't know why it works, but I do the same thing and it seems to work. On the steering wheel, I hit the volume up button twice and then the volume down button twice and this seems to make it not do the loud buzz.

craig.martell
01-19-09, 12:11 AM
Ditto that. I don't know why it works, but I do the same thing and it seems to work. On the steering wheel, I hit the volume up button twice and then the volume down button twice and this seems to make it not do the loud buzz.

Wow, I hope this works; I will try it tomorrow. My wife gets all pissed off when the screech/buzz happens -- as if it's my fault :eek:.

Craig

paranoid1123
03-06-09, 01:13 AM

:werd:i have that same problem on my '06 sts-v

anyone got a fix for it?

jjsocrazy
03-13-09, 10:44 AM
I can't wait until this gets fixed, I'm calling Apple & Cadillac up!

Joe

jwhpe
06-12-09, 02:07 AM

It happened to me today with my 2006 STS. That was the first time but I've only owned the car about 2 months. I am disappoined in the blue tooth and Nav. Nor being able to make a call while driving defeats the purpose of hands free. Not being able to down load my iPhone contact list was a surprize. The NAV is so unuser friendly I can't believe it. I've had NAV in BMWs and 3 Garmins never dreamed GM could be so out of step with NAV technolegy. I wonder if the 2008 ( or 2009) is better and could I upgrage software?

ajmasala
06-12-09, 12:16 PM
I have an iphone 3G with the latest OS hooked up via BT to my 06 STS.
I also have the ear-shattering loud buzz when dialing out - It is intermittent and drives me (and the unsuspecting passengers) nuts ! Havent found a fix for it yet - I tried the turning volume up & down, put-your-left-foot-in, put- your-right-foot-out, do-the-hokey-pokey thing, but that hasnt fixed it for me. :ill:

On the "not-muting-radio-on-incoming-call" issue - it seems to happen more frequently when the iphone is on silent mode. The way to fix it is to answer the call, then on the phone go to "Audio Sources" select "iphone" and select "Whatever-your-STS-BT-is-called". This has worked for me quite effectively.

hope that helps.

I can't wait for the new iphone OS upgrade. Amongst other things, I really hope they fixed the BT issues. btw, this seems to be a common iphone complaint - I have had flaky behaviour on the iphone with other BT speaker devices too.

EChas3
06-12-09, 10:21 PM
All the STS use the same Nav. Later ones have slightly different firmware levels and there is an upgrade for 2007 & earlier with VR, Bluetooth, etc issues. A Lockpick is worth every cent.

MacMuse
06-18-09, 05:24 PM
It's early (3 test calls), but iPhone 3.0 software has yet to do the bluetooth buzz of deafness in my STS. Doing more tests tonight on the way home...

craig.martell
06-18-09, 09:25 PM
It's early (3 test calls), but iPhone 3.0 software has yet to do the bluetooth buzz of deafness in my STS. Doing more tests tonight on the way home...

Mine still behaves exactly the same after upgrading to 3.0. But I am going to buy a iPhone 3Gs tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.

Craig

MacMuse
06-18-09, 11:11 PM
Mine still behaves exactly the same after upgrading to 3.0. But I am going to buy a iPhone 3Gs tomorrow. Hopefully that will help.

Craig

I should mention I also deleted both bluetooth pairings - in the car and in the phone. I repaired and all tests are good so far.

Dirny
06-20-09, 12:57 PM
iPhone 3G with new 3.0 software.

Loud buzz on first phone call out! Dammit!

Also, radio did not mute on first phone call in. Dammit again!

Not muting is the biggest problem of all. (yes, my nav software is updated, thanks anyway... all other suggestions welcomed)

MacMuse
06-20-09, 01:58 PM
dang - I've been BUZZED.... But........

The buzz didn't happen until I made the iPhone the Default entry in the Caddy Bluetooth setup screen. After it buzzed a couple times I removed the Default status in the Caddy menu and I'm back to no buzzing. Very Interesting!!

Clearing the default assignment also eliminates my other bluethooth problem - that of the car answering the phone when I'm standing near the car but not in it. It means I have to hit the config screen to activate it when I do want the car to handle the calls, but I'm willing to try this for awhile if it means no more buzz or calls that give up on me before I reclaim the audio back on the phone.

EChas3
06-20-09, 04:39 PM
Report the problem to Apple. Many cell phones work perfectly.

If you do get the to fix it, you're back to the over-active connection issue. GM would have done us favor if they had keyed the bluetooth only when accessories are enabled.

craig.martell
06-22-09, 10:24 AM

Craig

Wow, the iPhone 3Gs just made it worse. I still have the BUZZ (although less often), but now everyone who talks to me when I am in my car hears an echo of their own voice!!! This is very frustrating. My car is a 2008 STS V8, does anyone know if there is some kind of navigation upgrade that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

inurok
08-16-09, 05:15 AM
I have this problem too but only with the Iphone?

trackbait
08-16-09, 02:01 PM
The sad reality is....

Neihter GM nor Apple gives a rats ass about it. If either can get by with 99.9% success, why waste ressources for the few that don't.

It will be a cold day in Hell before someone actually acknowledges this and actually tries to do something about it. It will take some enterprising electronics wizard on his own to take on the challenge to find out WHY it does then, then how to fix it. Either way, I shall not loose any sleep wiating for the solution.

gdbradberry
09-24-09, 01:02 PM
Wow, the iPhone 3Gs just made it worse. I still have the BUZZ (although less often), but now everyone who talks to me when I am in my car hears an echo of their own voice!!! This is very frustrating. My car is a 2008 STS V8, does anyone know if there is some kind of navigation upgrade that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 2006 STS4. My Blackberry Bold worked just fine, but with my iPhone 3Gs, everyone hears their own voice echo. Clearly this must be an Apple problem.....

Anyone heard of a resolution?

EChas3
09-24-09, 09:10 PM
I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 2006 STS4. My Blackberry Bold worked just fine, but with my iPhone 3Gs, everyone hears their own voice echo. Clearly this must be an Apple problem.....

While on a call, turn down the volume. I found a spot that is easily loud enough and callers don't hear the echo.

craig.martell
09-29-09, 11:17 AM

I finally gave up. I returned my iPhone 3Gs the day after I bought it and bought a Palm Treo Pro from Best Buy for $399. It works PERFECTLY with my 2008 STS. It doesn't hijack the call as I get close to the car, there is absolutely no SCREECH and sound quality is perfect for both the person I'm talking to and me. No Echo!

An added bonus is that it is an unlocked phone, so I can take it to Thailand when we visit my wife's family.

I have to say I am very happily iPhone FREE!!

Craig

trackbait
09-30-09, 12:34 PM
Oddly, my 08 and my new iPhone 3Gs work just fine. No issues (yet) anyways.

acovington
11-23-09, 09:44 PM
My LG Shine worked great, now my Samsung Impression exhibits this same "loud noise on connect" problem. Grrrr. Any ideas are appreciated!

LAC_STS
11-23-09, 09:54 PM
My iPhone 3gs works flawlessly on my 05 STS

test57
12-14-09, 03:22 PM
Been reading this site for about a month before pulling the trigger on buying a STS. Just bought a 2007 STS V8 with NAV. Great site! All the reading ahead of purchasing has prepared me for what to expect. I also received my lockpick today and will be installing it shortly. Bought it solely for changing NAV locations on the fly and using the phone. Everything that my Nuvifone does when taken on the road with me.

Connected up my Garmin Nuvifone and am having the same issue of getting a wake up call when dialing.

Based on all previous posts, I would have to say that this is not a cell phone issue. Bluetooth on Nuvifone works great connected to 3 other devices.

Thanks.

craig.martell
12-17-09, 10:20 AM
I finally gave up. I returned my iPhone 3Gs the day after I bought it and bought a Palm Treo Pro from Best Buy for $399. It works PERFECTLY with my 2008 STS. It doesn't hijack the call as I get close to the car, there is absolutely no SCREECH and sound quality is perfect for both the person I'm talking to and me. No Echo!

An added bonus is that it is an unlocked phone, so I can take it to Thailand when we visit my wife's family.

I have to say I am very happily iPhone FREE!!

Craig

As a follow up, note that almost all of the Nokia phones I tried worked very well too. I did try a Samsung Blackjack 2 and had the same problem.

I am surprised that the Nuvi Phone exhibited the issue, since my working theory was that the newer the phone the better. But I guess this is wrong. HTC phones (which is who makes my Palm Treo Pro) seem to work the best for me.

The only solution I have found so far is changing my phone. However, I hear there is an adaptor that allows for aftermarket nav/entertainment systems to still be able to control the cars functions. If this is true, maybe we can all just replace our nav/bluetooth systems.

Craig

hugo
12-17-09, 11:37 AM
The problem may not be the phone but rather the provider. Cadillac uses a Verizon CDMA system. Sprint, Virgin Mobile and others also use the CDMA system. AT&T, T-Mobil and others use the GSM system and the systems are not compatible and sometimes fight with each other.

Since you have an unlocked phone it must use the GSM system so this may not be your problem but try a CDMA phone anyway and let us know if that helped.

next2pool
12-17-09, 08:38 PM
Well that's for the Onstar communication. I don't think that's related at all to the bluetooth linking.

matteg
07-14-10, 12:26 PM
Does anybody know if the I OS 4 update adjusts this loud piercing noise we are all receiving from the car and iphone? it would be great if this could get fixed soon

matteg
07-14-10, 12:37 PM
did u fix this problem????

banginis300
03-28-11, 03:34 PM
Just bought an 08 sts v6 fully loaded w/navi and I'm getting this same brief screeching sound before making an outgoing call. Using an iPhone on 4.1
No ones come up with a solution in the past year?!

MacMuse
03-29-11, 11:18 AM
Any fix would likely come from GM & the makers of the bluetooth interface. Given the age of this problem I think it's safe to say it's not getting fixed.

I gave up on the car bluetooth and went back to an earpiece - Jawbone Icon. Still lets me play iPhone audio through the car system through the hardwire link to the center console AUX input, while all phone calls come through to the earpiece.