: 96 sts starter problems, questions?

92nsx
10-21-07, 11:39 AM
Well here we go. Starter went out in my 96 caddy sts at 160k miles. Replaced it and about one week later it stoped working again. The gear would enguage but wouldnt turn the motor. Took it out had shop test it it tested bad. So they gave me another one, Installed this one and worked fine. But only twice. Same thing again, geting the loud click witch is the gear from the starter engaging, but not turning the motor. Called the shop again and said this one is also bad. But in the mean time the shop tested my the other starter again and it worked/tested fine. :bomb::bomb::bomb:WFT so this is where i am.

Starter is easy 2 wires cant mess that up. Wires look good, mounting flange is clean, getting good voltage, battery is 2 months old. Any ideas what to check next?

misfit6794
10-21-07, 11:51 AM
Thats weird. I'm not sure if the northstar has a starter solenoid but I would check that.

92nsx
10-21-07, 11:55 AM
Thats weird. I'm not sure if the northstar has a starter solenoid but I would check that.

The solenoid is attached to the starter, so each time it was new and came with the starter. At least this time my caddy is at home and not the mall parking lot. but i am ready to :bomb:. Maybe it is time to part it out. I dont want to because this car rides super nice, and is payed for.

Ranger
10-21-07, 10:42 PM
Do not assume that because the battery is 2 months old, it is good. I have had them fail in 6 months and have had bad one right off the shelf. Have it load tested.

misfit6794
10-21-07, 11:59 PM
It must be gettin old taking the intake manifold off to get to the starter.

92nsx
10-22-07, 09:50 AM

VARY this is like the 4th or 5th time in less then 2 weeks. Battery did load lest fine. I have a old school load tester, unless it is also bad.

Ranger
10-22-07, 12:18 PM
Are you using new A/C Delco starters? It is hard to imagine getting that many bad starters.

Tommy Deville
10-23-07, 02:56 AM
is the heat shield on? excesive heat would fry a starter rather quickly, or perhaps a bad ground.

92nsx
10-24-07, 02:40 PM
Heat shield is on, a/c delco no, auto zone. Im thinking ground is bad from battery to block or starter relay. But there is no relay listed for 96 seville sts for starter relay.?:confused:

Tommy Deville
10-25-07, 03:11 AM
Check the ignition, it could be worn out. check & clean all battery cales, look for breaks in the ground wires, try a new battery.

92nsx
10-31-07, 09:53 AM
ok well this is weard. Last night i got around to work on my caddy. Removed battery (looks brand new still )lol, cable looked good, but cleaned them with wire brush still, put battery back in and hooded up and it started with no problem. I was like sweet cheap fix. But once again this morning same thing.:banghead:. So if i unhook battery and hook back up it works once. WTF any other ideas?

Ranger
10-31-07, 12:17 PM
Are you sure there is no corrosion under the cable insulation? Is the battery connection loose from over tightening?

blaine59
12-28-07, 03:56 PM
I'm having the same trouble now on my wife's 96 Deville. Cables look good, starter tests fine, no corrosion at the terminals, battery is three months old. Any answers?

Ranger
12-28-07, 09:54 PM
Have the battery load tested. Age means nothing. I've had them fail in 6 months. Even had bad ones right off the shelf.

blaine59
01-03-08, 07:53 PM
Had a load test done and the battery is fine. When I wiggle the positive cable where it enters below the intake manifold, the starter works. I'm figuring either a bad cable or loose connection at the starter.

Autozone wants 76.99 for the gaskets. I guess I'll do it this weekend.:hmm:

Ranger
01-03-08, 09:16 PM
By Jove I think you've got it.:thumbsup:

bih
02-02-08, 07:15 AM

damn I had mine taken off like 4 times in a week:banghead:

BlackCaddy87
02-04-08, 11:55 AM
My 95 had similar issues...the side terminal of the battery was stripped and sometimes would get loose. The battery is still good so I just converted it to the top terminal for now.