: Turning Analog OnStar into free GPS

elvin315
10-21-07, 01:18 AM
As you know our OnStar service is going dead in 2008. The old network is analog and the new network is digital. Our OnStar units aren't upgradeable.

Popular Science Magazine has come up with a way to use the built in GPS module, a laptop, $40 in parts, and free software to salvage some use out of it. Follow their instructions and we can have a GPS navigation system without subscribing to OnStar.

I'm not advocating driving with our eyes glued to a laptop screen while driving, but since I travel with my PC a lot I wouldn't mind having it handy when I need it. A quick check while pulled over could help find a way around a traffic jam or get me back on track when the rare wrong turn is taken.

I've resisted buying a GPS because of the price tag but now I have no excuse. If I do this I'll wait for one of those long, cold winter nights with nothing better to do.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/ddb6bb1fd9ca4110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Elvin

10KTGOLD
10-21-07, 02:23 AM
After reading and it saying that you have to use a " cellular-data card ". Well If you had that card in your laptop you would be online anyway ,and be able to use google maps or mapquest... I get bored alot so i'll do it and see what it does and I'll post the responce.

elvin315
10-21-07, 12:57 PM
After reading and it saying that you have to use a " cellular-data card ". Well If you had that card in your laptop you would be online anyway ,and be able to use google maps or mapquest... I get bored alot so i'll do it and see what it does and I'll post the responce.

Ahh, but Mapquest won't tell you where YOU are on that map. You can reroute your trip from where you currently are instead of only from origin to destination.

Hey, it's mainly just another toy. The Omegas came with a LCD for diagnostics and maps while we got extra gauges. Don't get me wrong, I like analog gauges. Just that this was a Cadillac for cryin' out loud. My old Taurus at least had a separate clock with date and elapsed timer. My Catera's clock is in the radio.

I think for the money Cadillac originally asked for them the Catera should have had a few more niceties. Like the clock I mentioned or a code scanner like the ScanGauge II for MPG info and Codes. With a car as electronically laden as this one we should have an easier way to decypher the codes than running to AutoZone.

Elvin

ewill3rd
10-21-07, 02:34 PM
I have heard of people hacking into the OnStar GPS receiver.
I have never seen it done or seen how it works but it does indeed have a GPS receiver in it.

10KTGOLD
10-21-07, 02:40 PM
i wonder if the wiring is in the dash for the lcd? i have to pull my dash apart because a few lights are out. I'll take a look and see if theres extra harnesses ,and if so maybe I'll waste some money and order a dash from a omega and see what i can do with it...... So the gps would already be in the car? You would still have to have internet access country or worldwide on the laptop to use it tho right? I dont know , i have gps on my phone lol.

caterakid
10-23-07, 11:40 AM
I Was Behind My Cluster And There Are No Wires Extra Back There That I Saw, But There Is 2 Plugs On The Cluster, I Know Its Obv For The Speedometer And Such But I Wonder If We Got A Omega Cluster If The Gps Gould Work And Avg Mps And All Other Crap?

10KTGOLD
10-24-07, 12:14 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-ELITE-CDX-CD-COMPUTER-RADIO-DISPLAY_W0QQitemZ300163360218QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10 404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem CHECK IT OUT

AJxtcman
10-24-07, 12:24 AM
guess what virtual core means?:sneaky:

I have been told the old NFG modules go straight to the dumpsters:yup:

That would be from the parts guys