: Team Cadillac quitting SCCA Racing Program

Vdrenaline
10-20-07, 11:12 AM
Per Autoweek:

Cadillac's SCCA Speed World Challenge racing program is finished. The team's appearance this weekend at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca-where it can claim both the drivers' and manufacturers' titles-will be its last, at least for the near future.

GM road-racing boss Steve Wesoloski declined comment, but Joanne Krell, Cadillac director of public relations, said, "Cadillac is out of racing for the time being as it focuses on its core business."

Krell said the high-end carmaker will focus attention on ways to address the needs of the luxury market without racing. She said one reason for the decision was that Cadillac's second-generation production CTS-V is not yet in the marketplace, and racing the old car does not make smart marketing sense. The new car won't go on sale for about a year.

Cadillac entered World Challenge GT-class competition in 2004. Cadillac's Andy Pilgrim won the 2005 drivers' championship and is third in points heading into Laguna, 17 behind Porsche driver Randy Pobst. Pilgrim's teammate, defending Speed GT champ Lawson Aschenbach (he won the title last year driving a Porsche), sits four points behind Pobst. The team leads the manufacturers' championship by 10 points over Porsche and needs to score just one point at Laguna to clinch the title.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/FREE/71019008/1024/FREE

CTSV_Rob
10-20-07, 11:16 AM
Sad but true but according to Andy, he is not giving up on the program.

The Tony Show
10-20-07, 11:28 AM
If the new CTS-V is in the final development stages it is "possible" (but not probable) that they could get a car or two over to Pratt & Miller to be homologated to race spec in time for the 2008 Season.

Don't count on it, but there is always the slim possibility. As I said in my previous thread on this subject though, I believe class rules require competitors to be based on a car that is offered for sale in showrooms, so if Cadillac comes back at all, it will most likely be in '09 when CTS-Vs are sitting in showrooms.

onebadcad
10-20-07, 12:18 PM
It was a helluva run.
I think if guys like Tony can get more units sold each month, the financial side of the equation will disappear.
... I am sure Tony will keep up his end of the agreement!

Cadillac Tony
10-20-07, 12:48 PM
I sell the heck out of some V-Series cars- I just shipped the last Black CTS-V in the Southeast from SC to FL for a customer to buy!

Jon
10-20-07, 12:55 PM
:( That really blows

Cadillac Tony
10-20-07, 01:00 PM
Not surprising though. There's really no sense in racing a car that's no longer for sale. I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in 2 years once the 2009s hit showrooms.

Even though the Corporate backed team won't be there in 2008, there's also the possibility of a Private team buying the current cars and competing (it happened with the Audi WC cars).

Cadillac Tony
10-20-07, 01:52 PM
Well everyone- tonight is qualifying and tomorrow is the final race for the 1st Generation CTS-V in SPEED World Challenge GT. Andy Pilgrim turned in the fastest time in practice this morning, and with a 10 point lead over Porsche all we need is 1 single point to lock up the Championship. A pole position in qualifying makes the race moot as far a Manufacturer's points, so let's cross our fingers for the Caddy boys to lock it up! :thumbsup:

The race won't be broadcast on SPEED until October 28th (grrrr:mad:), but everybody be sure to set your TiVos or DVRs to record their final run. If you're gonna go out, I guess at least they're going out on top with a Championship. :)

WheelHop
10-20-07, 04:07 PM
The race won't be broadcast on SPEED until October 28th (grrrr:mad:), but everybody be sure to set your TiVos or DVRs to record their final run. If you're gonna go out, I guess at least they're going out on top with a Championship. :)

Anyone know what time??

calicadi
10-20-07, 04:19 PM
OK... so now it's up to us. Go race your V.

The Tony Show
10-20-07, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot:

The mouth breathers over on the WC forum have been crying about Cadillac since 2004, claiming everything from unfair advantages to actually accusing the SCCA of fixing races to allow Cadillac to win :rolleyes:. I'm sure this will make them extremely happy, but since I won't be going there anymore with Cadillac leaving the series I can't resist taking a few shots before quitting those boards. Har har. :sneaky:

urbanski
10-20-07, 04:31 PM
WC

water closet?

The Tony Show
10-20-07, 05:19 PM
Bleh- Porsche got the pole. Cadillacs are starting 2nd (Pilgrim), 4th (Fellows) and 9th (Aschenbach).

Would've been nice to have the trophy before the race even started, but all we need is one top five finisher to clinch it.

CTSV_Rob
10-20-07, 09:25 PM
The bad part is Pilgrim lost the Pole by about 5 hundred's (.055) of a second!

Andy is running strong so I'm looking forward to seeing the race tomorrow! Lawson was lucky enough to get about 120 pounds of "rewards" weight so that's probably why he's at the back in 9th!

Already programmed the recorder for the race on the 28th.

thebigjimsho
10-20-07, 11:40 PM
I sell the heck out of some V-Series cars- I just shipped the last Black CTS-V in the Southeast from SC to FL for a customer to buy!Was that a drop ship??? Or are you superior???

50 4Ever
10-20-07, 11:48 PM
At the Speed Challenge GT at Road Atlanta I heard that Cadillac might not be able to compete in 2008 because they will not have a current model in the showrooms (no 2008 CTS-V) but would be eligible again in 2009. I hate rumors...

CTSV_Rob
10-21-07, 12:20 AM
Was that a drop ship??? Or are you superior???
Are we voting on this? I would say he is a Superior Dealer!

thebigjimsho
10-21-07, 12:47 AM
Are we voting on this? I would say he is a Superior Dealer!I would say that's blasphemous!

dqw1
10-21-07, 06:53 PM
If this is the end of the racing program for now, I'm glad I got the chance to see them race and win at Road ATL.

The Tony Show
10-21-07, 07:47 PM
SPOILERS BELOW: Highlight to read

Pilgrim Wins! Aschenbach and Fellows in 6th and 7th.

thebigjimsho
10-21-07, 10:24 PM

Pilgrim Wins! Aschenbach and Fellows in 6th and 7th.So clevar!

thebigjimsho
10-21-07, 10:25 PM
Oops. I guess I'm not so clever...

Chef
10-21-07, 10:36 PM
Supply and demand...Business 101...

Porsche cars get a lot of dough for their rides and Caddy is not as efficient in terms of manufacturing dollars vs payroll.

We need business leadership not wanna beeeez. This shiiiiiat is built on P.R. dollars coupled with understanding (diversity) meaning to have your $ in other (money making ventures) to fortify your bread and butter.

Me, banquets is our feeder that let's us have enough money to play via marketing and such to earn 5 Diamonds - 60 million a year in food....c'mon!

People - This is BUSINESS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS...

CTSV_Rob
10-21-07, 10:50 PM

Pilgrim Wins! Aschenbach and Fellows in 6th and 7th.
What a Race!

z06bigbird
10-21-07, 11:37 PM
OK... so now it's up to us. Go race your V.

Next time a cop stops me, I will quote you.

Black Sunshine
10-22-07, 10:04 AM
Today’s race will be broadcast on SPEED, Sunday October 28th at 4:00 p.m. (EDT). For results, photos and news visit www.world-challenge.com

andrew-g
10-22-07, 11:07 AM
What will happen to the CTS-V race cars and loads of extra parts? I wonder if these will ever be sold off to the public?

The Tony Show
10-22-07, 11:11 AM
They'll probably be bought by a private race team. I know they cost at least $250k with mods, so I'd be surprised to see them go for under $80k

Chef
10-22-07, 11:52 AM
I should have waited:alchi:

BLACK_CTSV
10-22-07, 01:24 PM
I was down at Laguna Seca this weekend - it was cool to see those cars in person. Made me wish I didn't sell mine!!!

The Tony Show
10-22-07, 01:39 PM
I should have waited:alchi:

Trade the guy who wanted to swap you for the Benz since it's worth more than the V. Then sell the Benz and buy a CTS-VR.

Simple. :D

Curious George
10-22-07, 02:57 PM
IF YOU ARE WAITING TO SEE THE RACE ON SPEED CHANNEL 10/28 TO GET YESTERDAY'S RESULTS, SKIP THIS POST.

Andy Pilgrim (driving #8) won a good race, defeating Randy Pobst (Porsche). Cadillac gets the manufacturers championship while Pobst gets the driver's championship. My guess is that the cars will be sold to privateers for racing next year, since by SCCA pro/World Challenge rules they are legal for 3 more years.

CTSV_Rob
10-22-07, 05:44 PM
Talked with them about selling the cars and they said they will probably be going back to detroit. If you can get your hands on one the first mod should be remove the restrictor plate!

Jon
10-22-07, 07:28 PM
Talked with them about selling the cars and they said they will probably be going back to detroit. If you can get your hands on one the first mod should be remove the restrictor plate!
Off topic, but did you get my PM?

CTSV_Rob
10-22-07, 07:51 PM
Off topic, but did you get my PM?
Yup, I will respond tonight.

mbiker97_old
10-22-07, 08:47 PM
Stupid pricks! The race team was one of the best thing that has pahhened to Cadillac in a long time.

CTSV_Rob
10-22-07, 09:01 PM
The race was fun so I would have to agree with you on this one.

Personally I think they will continue racing however they may skip a year.

lunarx
10-22-07, 10:01 PM
The race was fun so I would have to agree with you on this one.

Personally I think they will continue racing however they may skip a year.

You would think they would want everyone to know they were comming back.

Perhaps they don't have funding approval yet.
It's sad they would even think about quiting.
How can that be an option?

Are they leaving it to Pontiac to carry the torch now?

Jon
10-23-07, 12:02 AM
Yup, I will respond tonight.
Ok thanks :)

Chef
10-23-07, 12:07 AM
You would think they would want everyone to know they were comming back.

Perhaps they don't have funding approval yet.
It's sad they would even think about quiting.
How can that be an option?

Are they leaving it to Pontiac (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) to carry the torch now?

Maybe good-bye Dodge but not caddy in all its glory in such a short time too. They should snag Randy from Porsche and then rule for decades...Not that they can't now but adding a little more meat in the seat so she'll be cooked for a loooong time...

CTSdan
10-29-07, 10:00 PM
This is really lame not to have a CTS-V vehicle ready to sell side by side with the introduction of the CTS model. To spend all that money racing and winning the manufacturers title and not to have an entry going into 2008. Poor planning and total loss of momentum.

Just remember what happened to Nissan and the Z car when they pulled out of racing. It took many years to recover.

Maybe instead of "This is not your dad's cadillac" the new slogan will be replaced with "This is your grandpa's Cadillac"