: Removing Huge Pumpkin from Windshield

Heavy_Metal
10-19-07, 09:51 PM
I parked my car at the bottom of the driveway because I had just sealed it. It turns out that some kids had gone out smashing mailboxes that night and decided that it would also be fun to throw an 18 inch diameter pumpkin at my windshield.

It looks like it's only the windshield but the rain sensor, headlight sensor, onstar mirror and head up display are also in that area. I decided to wait a week for the repair so I can get a Cadillac replacement windshield instead of the after market windshield that the windshield company wanted to sell me. Other than the markings on the glass is there any difference in the quality of the windshield?

What else should I look for in a windshield repair and possible damage to sensors near the windshield?

dkozloski
10-19-07, 10:04 PM
The major issue I've noticed with aftermarket windshields is they seem to reflect the dashboard much more than the factory original and it can be distracting.

Jesda
10-20-07, 05:19 AM
NOT Safelite. Get word of mouth recommendations from body shops and the like.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=261382

Heavy_Metal
10-21-07, 02:38 PM
NOT Safelite. Get word of mouth recommendations from body shops and the like.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=261382

Yes, it's Safelite.

I told the insurance company I wanted original equipment only and while the insurance adjuster was still in the driveway, Safelite called and said the insurance company had made my appointment with them. Good thing I asked the Safelite guy because the insurance adjuster had gone ahead and set me up for an after market windshield. Then after a wasted day of excuses form Safelite and a $200 price increase, Safelite agreed to order the windshield from Cadillac. They said it will take a week.

After reading the link that Jesda provided, it looks like I also need to look out for workmanship. At this point I don't know if I should try to monitor the workmanship of Safelite or just cancel the appointment and start all over?

:helpless:

bigdog9586
10-23-07, 06:46 AM
Why not just take it to the Caddy dealer who farms it out to local company but tell them you want orginal STS windshield. Then if there are any problems down the road you can take it to Caddilac dealer anywhere.
=====================

Yes, it's Safelite.

I
After reading the link that Jesda provided, it looks like I also need to look out for workmanship. At this point I don't know if I should try to monitor the workmanship of Safelite or just cancel the appointment and start all over?

:helpless:

Heavy_Metal
11-25-07, 10:30 PM
The pumpkin is gone and safelite replaced my windshield with a windshield ordered from GM based upon my VIN number. The only problem is the head up display has a ghost (or double image) on the left hand side of the display. The insurance company said I can take it to the dealer now :yup:

Any ideas on the cause of the double vision. The pumpkin did hit the dash and it may have damaged the HUD unit. Otherwise, I am thinking it's the wrong windshield part.

45wheelgun
11-26-07, 05:52 AM
Sorry to hear of your problem...but I would love to see the pictures...:eek: