: Cable to connect an ipod to your STS

ajmasala
10-19-07, 10:36 PM
I found this really great cable to connect my ipod to the STS aux inputs (in the center console)

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/xtrememac-roadshow-car-av-cable-for-ipod-with-video/

It charges the ipod, uses the dock connector for the A/V signal. The sound quality is very good. IMHO, this is the best cable solution at this time - till somebody makes something that gives you control of the ipod from the steering wheel.
If there is one gripe, it is the length of the cable - it is 6ft, thus taking up a lot of room inside the console.

I paid US$26 (+S&H) for the cable from an online vendor.

I have to say, i really like the implementation of the aux-in in the STS. Especially with the extra 12v outlet, the ipod can stay out of sight when not in use. And it is a lot easier to reach than in the glove compartment, as i have seen in other cars.

HTH

Jesda
10-20-07, 09:05 AM
Nice find!!!

CMulcahy
10-20-07, 06:44 PM
I will pick up my new STS on Friday, can I get the cable at the Apple Store in my area.

jjsocrazy
10-18-08, 02:32 PM
Will this work directly with an iPhone3G? Because I purchased the one from apple and it worked good in the beginning but the wire eventually loosened and is about to break.

Joe

MARKVIII
10-18-08, 04:11 PM
I found this really great cable to connect my ipod to the STS aux inputs (in the center console)

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/xtrememac-roadshow-car-av-cable-for-ipod-with-video/

It charges the ipod, uses the dock connector for the A/V signal. The sound quality is very good. IMHO, this is the best cable solution at this time - till somebody makes something that gives you control of the ipod from the steering wheel.
If there is one gripe, it is the length of the cable - it is 6ft, thus taking up a lot of room inside the console.

I paid US$26 (+S&H) for the cable from an online vendor.

I have to say, i really like the implementation of the aux-in in the STS. Especially with the extra 12v outlet, the ipod can stay out of sight when not in use. And it is a lot easier to reach than in the glove compartment, as i have seen in other cars.

HTH

two questions

do u see any output on the nav screen? play lists etc?
also please list the vendor u got it from for $26.
thanks for your help and time

ajmasala
10-18-08, 09:31 PM
>> do u see any output on the nav screen? play lists etc?
Unfortunately you cannot see playlists on the screen. Apparently the ipod does not send this info through the video out. You can watch videos and photo slideshows (basically anything the ipod is capable of sending out as a video out) - And of course - "Picture is not available while driving".

>> also please list the vendor u got it from for $26
I bought it from buy.com - They were the cheapest at the time and they have always given me very good service.

hope that helps..

MARKVIII
10-18-08, 10:20 PM
Thanks it does help..don't need it...

chkline
10-21-08, 01:19 PM
For those that have this cable do you notice any noise at higher volumes? I got the cable, and really like how it works, but I notice a hissing noise at higher volumes that really bothers me. It will come and go so it is not coming from the iPod, it must be coming from the stereo system some how. I notice that I can get it to stop for short periods of time by pausing the iPod and start playing again. By doing this it will get quiet for a few seconds then start back up again? Any help or suggestions?

ajmasala
11-05-08, 02:02 PM
I cant say that I hear "noise" at the higher volume levels - but I do hear a very low hum when I have the ipod hooked up, the AUX mode selected, but nothing playing on the ipod.
I read up something on "ground loop isolation" - apparently this is a common problem with ipods and aux inputs. There are isolators sold by the likes of RadioShack - wonder if that will address your problem chkline.

Bigron
11-05-08, 05:05 PM
Anyone find this yet. The OP link is a review of a cool cable but it is 8 ft long.
Also any answer if I can use it to play content off the 3G iPhone?

Caddy Man
01-03-09, 01:52 PM
Can anyone direct me at where I can purchse this item? I cant find it ANYWHERE.

chkline
01-05-09, 10:59 PM
Found mine on overstock.com

Caddy Man
01-07-09, 10:21 PM
Found mine on overstock.com

Got it! Thanks!

ajmasala
01-15-09, 09:03 PM
Yes, it seems like overstock.com still has these cables available.

As far as the cable working with the iPhone 3G - the answer is NO !

From what I understand, the newer iDevices (pods, phones) can only output video through Apple approved cables.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-locks-tv-out-in-new-ipods-breaks-video-add-ons/

I just bought an iPhone and my old ipod cable does not work with my STS - no audio, no video, no charging, nothing, nada, zip, no-can-do....

And yes, I still have the loud initial screeching noise when using Bluetooth with the STS and the iPhone (V2.2 software). If it is any comfort, this is not a Cadillac thing - apparently many other makes - Audis, BMWs and Lexii suffer from the "screeching" with iPhone BT. So it *is* an iPhone thing and it is very f@#$ing annoying..

jimbogrits
05-03-09, 02:47 PM
I have a 1996 STS with a standard Bose system (no nav or video) and a 12 CD Changer in the trunk.

Is there any way i can Hook up an iPod without having to use FM transmitter or cassete(doesn't work) and without disconnecting my CD changer? i was hoping there could be a simple plug-in or conveter that could be wired up under the dash.

Any help would be great.

EChas3
05-03-09, 02:51 PM
I have a 1996 STS with a standard Bose system (no nav or video) and a 12 CD Changer in the trunk.

Is there any way i can Hook up an iPod without having to use FM transmitter or cassete(doesn't work) and without disconnecting my CD changer? i was hoping there could be a simple plug-in or conveter that could be wired up under the dash.

Any help would be great.

This area is for 2005 & newer STS. Try posting over there.

Sorry, but the systems are totally different.

Good luck.

fredolan
06-14-09, 09:14 AM
I have a 2005. Iphone 3g connects to AV inputs with "I Sound AV Cable". It plays audio and shows video and pictures (when not in motion). Cables purchased at the AT&T store but they are available at the Apple store.

dhemrick
06-14-09, 11:13 AM
I have a cable which I purchased from Best Buy which has the standard iPod connector on one end, and the other end has left and right audio, video, and a USB connector. I use a cigarette lighter to USB converter in the center console and then plugged everything up in there.

Now, I have one cable to connect that will provide me audio, video and charging all by making one simple connection.

It works perfecty with my iPhone 3G.

EChas3
06-14-09, 04:41 PM
Here's how the uPAC-STS Controls an I-Pod from the screen and Radio Tuning Knob. I don't think they have video yet.

EChas3
06-14-09, 05:12 PM
:cloud9:I'm just playing with attachments while GM dominates at Michigan...

The previous post attachment may get resized by your browser. IE needs a couple single-clicks for it to be clear.

Here's the quick reference card that came with my I-Pod & HD Radio combo. It shows the modest integration with the Nav screen. Obviously, the uPAC hi-jacks the XM Interface for its own use.

To get video, I'm thinking you need the Aux input solution which can't concurrently access screen functions.

themightymezzo
06-16-09, 11:42 AM
Sorry to threadjack but are there any inputs for an Ipod or such on an 05 STS without a navi/DVD system? I've searched around and can't seem to find any aux or audio input.

R1chard
06-16-09, 01:25 PM
Sorry to threadjack but are there any inputs for an Ipod or such on an 05 STS without a navi/DVD system? I've searched around and can't seem to find any aux or audio input.

Try looking inside the middle console (elbow rest) since that's where it is located on the navigation models.

themightymezzo
06-16-09, 04:43 PM
Try looking inside the middle console (elbow rest) since that's where it is located on the navigation models.

Don't see anything in there. I think I'm out of luck. I was just clinging onto the fact their might be one tucked away somewhere or something.

I hate to have to use one of those poor quality FM types to listen to my music that way.

Next time I'm buying my Cadillac with all the options. :banghead:

D_Lac
06-23-09, 06:51 PM
Not trying to take over the post, but check out this product it works through the nav system and radio, you can control the ipod through the touch screen, pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-ec5QDx8s&feature=PlayList&p=3307A711B14335D5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/

stevenriz
06-24-09, 09:36 AM
I like this product. What product or model is this device and is it only for the Lade? I can't find anything for the 05 STS. Also can you control the ipod while driving?

D_Lac
06-24-09, 10:24 AM
Doesn't look like it will work with the 05 STS, thats a shame. Give Perpheral a call they should be able to help you out.

R1chard
06-24-09, 01:47 PM
Doesn't look like it will work with the 05 STS, thats a shame. Give Perpheral a call they should be able to help you out.

I think what you might need is the UPAC-STS harness and control module by Pacific Electronics. Scroll down to "UPAC-STS" http://archive.pac-audio.com/products/productsDetail.asp?mmSearch=iPod%20Integration

Sold here for $109.99 (+S/H): http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18713_PAC+uPAC-STS.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

I believe it will work with '05/'06 without any further modification. :bouncy:

themightymezzo
06-25-09, 09:17 AM
I think what you might need is the UPAC-STS harness and control module by Pacific Electronics.

I believe it will work with '05/'06 without any further modification. :bouncy:

”Required Initilization Steps”
• Full iPod control.
• 3.5mm AUX input.
• RCA input.
• Optional HD Radio tuner (uPAC-HDRT).
2007-2008 STS: Dipswitch #2 MUST be "ON" for non-navigation radios.

I'm wondering if the connectors may be different or if the internals inside the radio are different.

I guess if an 07/08 radio will work in an 05/06 STS, then it should work just the same.

Can anyone verify this?

If so I'd be willing to purchase it and give it a shot. Good find by the way.

R1chard
06-25-09, 12:30 PM
”Required Initilization Steps”
• Full iPod control.
• 3.5mm AUX input.
• RCA input.
• Optional HD Radio tuner (uPAC-HDRT).
2007-2008 STS: Dipswitch #2 MUST be "ON" for non-navigation radios.

I'm wondering if the connectors may be different or if the internals inside the radio are different.

I guess if an 07/08 radio will work in an 05/06 STS, then it should work just the same.

Can anyone verify this?

If so I'd be willing to purchase it and give it a shot. Good find by the way.

If I recall correctly EChas3 has a 2006 STS with the UPAC system since the last time I asked about IPod connectivity. I don't remember him saying he had difficulty with the year difference 2006 vs 2007/8 but he will might have to attest to this personally.

EChas3
07-02-09, 10:20 PM
No problems with my uPAC-STS (HD Radio & I-Pod) and my 2006 with Navigation. I'm confident it would work with all STS's with Navigation and XM. I didn't find the Perpheral solution when I was looking!

I have no direct knowledge of non-Nav STS applications. Sorry!

Good Luck and let us know...

JackG
10-14-09, 04:37 PM
Can I use a Headphone jack to RCA and listen to only audio?

JPOrzolek
10-14-09, 05:12 PM
Yes...that is what I am currently using in my car. You have to play with the volume on the ipod and radio but it does work.

bierman.d
10-14-09, 11:29 PM
The RCA jack remains one of my favorite features of the car. I have a Zune, so iPod docks are obviously out of the question for me, but I mostly have it on shuffle anyways so it's fine with me. 3.5mm to RCA.

By the way, to those complaining about noise, it's possible you need to turn the volume up on your device. If a signal is too weak, interference is more likely to be picked up. Turn the ipod volume to max presuming it's not distorting. If you keep it low, all you are doing is over-working the amplifier and introducing a greater noise:music ratio.

JackG
10-16-09, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the info!