: CTS-V (TNG) the next generation.....

Florian
10-19-07, 03:55 PM
....of first generation CTS-V owners are hitting the forum and its interesting to sit back and watch the new owners complain about the same shit as us early CTS-V guys did. Rear end whine/upgrades, sticky clutch, driveline clunk, vague shifter, dickhead dealers, denied wty claims....
Fellas, its like this. GM got the CTS-V 98% right, the last 2% they fooked up. You have a great platform to mod (DAMHIK) but your rears are glass. There is only 1 place currently that does rearend swaps, but itll cost you 10K. If you want to play, youre gonna pay, big time. Also, dealerships dont give a flying monkeyfook about you, theyre in it to make money, not hear you complain.
Now that a bunch of the early Vs are getting out of wty, itll be even more interesting to see what the next gen. owners are gonna do about things.

F

SkullV
10-19-07, 04:04 PM
I guess you could consider me a next gen V owner. Your post is exactly right, and I love my v but I do hate all the sh*t that you older guys put up with. My V is still in warranty for a long time (3 more years) but I can tell you now that the day it is out of warranty it is getting a straight axle rear end with a 1 piece driveshaft. I love the car, but the twisties just aren't for me! Ever since I could drive I have been enamored with driving 1/4 mile in 10 seconds (please no Vin Diesel jokes). I made the mark in my 88 Camaro, and I'll be damned if i don't make it in my 05 V. Thanks for letting me waste your time!

CIWS
10-19-07, 04:50 PM
....of first generation CTS-V owners are hitting the forum and its interesting to sit back and watch the new owners complain about the same shit as us early CTS-V guys did. Rear end whine/upgrades, sticky clutch, driveline clunk, vague shifter, dickhead dealers, denied wty claims....
Fellas, its like this. GM got the CTS-V 98% right, the last 2% they fooked up. You have a great platform to mod (DAMHIK) but your rears are glass. There is only 1 place currently that does rearend swaps, but itll cost you 10K. If you want to play, youre gonna pay, big time. Also, dealerships dont give a flying monkeyfook about you, theyre in it to make money, not hear you complain.
Now that a bunch of the early Vs are getting out of wty, itll be even more interesting to see what the next gen. owners are gonna do about things.

F

:yeah:

TXSilverV
10-19-07, 04:52 PM
Well mine is 99% fixed now just need a rear end that can take a licking!!!!LOL

tweeter81
10-19-07, 04:58 PM
Like I stated in one of the other threads about the rear end:

I don't believe the diff is glass, it just has to be used the way the car was intended. I understand that the Getrag rear is the same as in the CTS and the SRX, and in our application it is under-rated for all our torque, but the issue becomes -- Learn how to drive the car to use all its advantages and none of its disadvantages. I bet that most of the fellas here on these forums that own a CTS-V are fairly intelligent, high-class people. If that is the case it shouldn't be a stretch for them to use their heads and not sidestep the clutch or try to launch so hard that copious amounts of wheelhop ensues.

Disclaimer: No flame intended.

As for wanting to use this car for the 1/4 mile and actually going as far as to say you will put a solid rear axle and one-peice driveshaft in it - that is a little bit ridiculous. Here is why, this car was obviously designed to handle on a road course (the fact that it was extensively tested at the Nurburgring makes this a no brainer). The car is very heavy. I'm not a dragster, but I don't think a 3850 lb sedan is the ideal vehicle to try and run 10s with. If you are going to butcher the car to such an extent that it won't handle anymore, you might as well just buy an old foxbody mustang and set that up for the strip.

Again, no flame intended. I just feel the need to plead my case because
a) I am bored at work, and
b) I have taken my V out on a roadcourse a couple of times and don't believe that feeling, that adrenalin rush, you get from taking a heavy sedan around a road course and running circles around more expensive and lighter cars can be matched by mashing the gas pedal and driving down a drag strip. :bomb:

darkman
10-19-07, 05:12 PM

I don't believe the diff is glass, it just has to be used the way the car was intended. I understand that the Getrag rear is the same as in the CTS and the SRX, and in our application it is under-rated for all our torque, but the issue becomes -- Learn how to drive the car to use all its advantages and none of its disadvantages. I bet that most of the fellas here on these forums that own a CTS-V are fairly intelligent, high-class people. If that is the case it shouldn't be a stretch for them to use their heads and not sidestep the clutch or try to launch so hard that copious amounts of wheelhop ensues.

As for wanting to use this car for the 1/4 mile and actually going as far as to say you will put a solid rear axle and one-peice driveshaft in it - that is a little bit ridiculous. Here is why, this car was obviously designed to handle on a road course (the fact that it was extensively tested at the Nurburgring makes this a no brainer). The car is very heavy. I'm not a dragster, but I don't think a 3850 lb sedan is the ideal vehicle to try and run 10s with. If you are going to butcher the car to such an extent that it won't handle anymore, you might as well just buy an old foxbody mustang and set that up for the strip.

b) I have taken my V out on a roadcourse a couple of times and don't believe that feeling, that adrenalin rush, you get from taking a heavy sedan around a road course and running circles around more expensive and lighter cars can be matched by mashing the gas pedal and driving down a drag strip. :bomb:

I agree.

Florian
10-19-07, 05:22 PM
waiting for Doug to chime in here.....youre right its not the diff specifically, its the pinion and case....but we lovingly call it the diff. Its still a piece of shit, no matter what you call it, and if youre gonna mod, its gonna break. Simple as that. Look at all the guys here that have modded....they all have had glass diffs.

F

NormV
10-19-07, 05:31 PM
Consider the CTS is the biggest 4-door sedan in racing with little modifications must make a good platform. You don't see the new 5-series, A6, or E-class and it's red headed step brother the 300C in any series recently. Just add power and a little tweaking to the V and you'll have never graying V. :)

Norm

GNSCOTT
10-19-07, 05:39 PM

If you beleive this you should apply for a job as an engineer with GM> The rear end is glass, and V owners got hosed end of story. Every car has a rear end that can handle its weight to hp ratio except the CTS-V. A vette is not intended to be drag raced, but yet it has a rear that can handle is HP to weight ratio. You got a CTS rear that is made to handle over 100 less HP. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the rears would break and GM knew they would.

heavymetals
10-19-07, 06:17 PM
I don't think it is a case of " GM knew they would."

Rather it is more like "GM found out they broke".

What they did/did not do about it is fodder for endless debate.

StealthV
10-19-07, 06:47 PM
The "not rated" for the application is internet hearsay that has now become forum fact. Where is this infamous Getrag specification document?

Not taking GM's side; someone has to play devil's advocate. :lildevil:

Don't even bother posting the Getrag 650 spec; do your homework...

nikon
10-19-07, 08:20 PM
I personally can't wait for more people to pick up second hand V's....The more hands these cars touch the more ingenuity that will erupt....soon enough someone will figure out how to get rid of the "suggestions" on the nav screen, a performance shop will prolly come out with a cheap alternative to the rear.....better this, better that....I've got warranty till 2011 so I'm in it for the long haul and can't wait for other minds to start thinkin. Because personally I'm too lazy to start tinkering with it, nor do I know enough about electronics....time will tell.

05cts-v
10-19-07, 08:26 PM
If you beleive this you should apply for a job as an engineer with GM> The rear end is glass, and V owners got hosed end of story. Every car has a rear end that can handle its weight to hp ratio except the CTS-V. A vette is not intended to be drag raced, but yet it has a rear that can handle is HP to weight ratio. You got a CTS rear that is made to handle over 100 less HP. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the rears would break and GM knew they would.

My thing about this car is that my GTO's have no problem handling its 400hp 400tq and I bought 2 0f them brand new for a few thousand dollars more than a new V. The GTO may not hand le quite as well as the V but its not bad. On top of that I can rewplace the suspension with Pedders and then have a car that can handle very well and can be used on street or road course. So yea, I think there is a problem when GM sends out a car that cost $50 and you have to even think about a $10k replacement to cure the rear.

z06bigbird
10-19-07, 10:17 PM
Well mine is 99% fixed now just need a rear end that can take a licking!!!!LOL

As John Cameron Swazy used to say: "Get one made by Timex. Takes a lickin; keeps on tickin."

Gotta be an old fart to understand that.

rand49er
10-20-07, 07:18 AM
Just two quick comments:

Back in the day, I used to have a '69 Vette roadster, 350/350hp, 4-spd. I bought it used and had to replace a u-joint in the passenger-side rear axle ... what a PITA. A fellow Corvette owner told me it was so-called common knowledge that sidestepping the clutch was a no-no ... it would lead to premature failure of the universal joints in the rear axles. In other words, it was not designed for drag racing.

Also, I reported in a thread 1-1/2 yrs ago about a chance run in with a GM Proving Ground engineer at a Costco near here (he was driving a Z06 with manufacturer's plates). I engaged him in conversation and he stated, among other things, that he along with all the other GM engineers he knew were strongly disappointed/upset/embarrassed/whatever about the V's weak diff. He actually looked down toward the ground and shook his head while pondering the thought.

caddyv8v
10-20-07, 08:10 AM
I don't believe the diff is glass, it just has to be used the way the car was intended. I understand that the Getrag rear is the same as in the CTS and the SRX...

dang, you are right. just ran down to the garage and peeked under the wife's srx. i did not know they were the same. learned something new.

TXSilverV
10-20-07, 09:25 AM
Plain and simple GM adverstised 0-60 in less than 5 seconds! If you do it the rear will break. I never remember an advertisement as a track car.

AirCav
10-20-07, 10:35 AM
Plain and simple GM adverstised 0-60 in less than 5 seconds! If you do it the rear will break.
:werd:

TXSilverV
10-20-07, 10:53 AM
I would edit my post to correct the spelling but I don't remember how to get back in my post. I think I may have drank to much last night!

tweeter81
10-20-07, 11:38 AM
Plain and simple GM adverstised 0-60 in less than 5 seconds! If you do it the rear will break. I never remember an advertisement as a track car.

Touche about the 0-60 in under 5 commercials. You are right, but I think those commercials are made to pander to an audience that mostly has never heard of or seen a road course. So Cadillac has to show something that describes the cars performance, very quickly and easily, that everyone can understand.

One thing you forgot. Have you ever seen the "Trickle-down performance" commercials for Cadillac that show a CTS-VR racing, then the CTS-V, and then the CTS, or something like that. ;)

CVP33
10-20-07, 03:07 PM
BOB SAGET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqtr_RvR3sY

cts-vroom!
10-20-07, 03:17 PM
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. I have a great dealer and everything thus far reported faulty or bad by me has been replaced and no questions asked.:cloud9:

V-Love
10-20-07, 05:53 PM
BOB SAGET!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqtr_RvR3sY

I am emailing that to everyone I know. Thats f'in hilarious. Is it for real?!?

Back to the rear. I have had two V's. I think my 04 was one of those special ones off the line. I beat it and it never gave me any problems. I was doing lots of long burnouts and slamming into 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Then I rolled it. I had 20k miles hard on it. Then I got an 05 beat it and blew the rear(thats what the dealer changed). Then, joined a car club, and started hitting the road courses. My instuctor showed me how to drive this car(lots more to learn). I was shifting all wrong and I am much smoother now. Now that I am a little better, I don't think I will ever blow the rear diff again. I am confident when warranty is up that I can make it last for the life of the car. I am also confident that I can kill the rear in any car. BUT, it wouldn't be the cars fault.

The Tony Show
10-20-07, 06:08 PM
No. He's acting, and poorly at that.

Real Tourette's is nothing like that- this guy's just an idiot with a foul mouth.

V-Smooth
10-20-07, 08:33 PM
I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. I have a great dealer and everything thus far reported faulty or bad by me has been replaced and no questions asked.:cloud9:

I agree 'vroom, you do need to find a good dealer/service dept (seems like they are hard to find). I've had nothing but great interactions with the guys at Bellevue Caddy. Had the V in there for a "faulty" diff seal replacement :nono: I will always send business their way because of the exceptional customer service! We need more GM/Caddy dealers out there like this. There needs to be more dealers out there in the people business rather than in the auto business/just selling-servicing cars. Build customer loyalty & satisfaction...its a no-brainer, business will follow.

I have an '06, and all this talk about the '06s being "fixed" is bunk. The problem still exists-period (it's true Florian). I've got the peeling radio buttons to deal with now, not the biggest issue but still makes me wonder. Just a shoddy interior on these "first/second" gen Vs...looking forward to the '09 V...love the interiors in the '08s, far better craftsmanship-or so it seems.

I suppose I could go on and on about the negative aspects of our "v"ehicle but I sure do enjoy ripping thru the gears and terrorizing the streets in this car :sneaky: Love the thumbs-up I get, the general questions I get about the car at the gas station. Just the other day a 7 or 8 year old kid yells from the bus stop: "Sweet car dude" and shoots me the bull horns....just random stuff like that...makes me forget about all the negatives. What car is perfect? Enjoy it for what it's worth. My 5-cents anyway...I'm spent.
:musical: :burn::rock::patriot: tits:woohoo: happy V-motoring all!:D