: squeeky serpatine belt *new belt and tensioner*

fpmesiIII
10-19-07, 03:20 PM
any ideas whats causing this belt to squeek. mostly after sitting all night and first 10-20 minutes driving. driving me nuts.

its hard to drive a cadillac and have so many little problems that make it sound like a yugo.

Ranger
10-19-07, 04:54 PM
Glazed belt, an out of alignment pulley or a bad pulley bearing.

fpmesiIII
10-19-07, 05:08 PM
wouldnt a bad pulley bearing make the noise all the time?

Ranger
10-19-07, 05:17 PM
Probably, but if it is loose, then the pulley may wobble and the belt will squeak. Take a look at it. If all the pulleys are running true, then I'd suspect the belt. You can test it by spraying some water on the smooth side of the belt. The water will act as a temporary lubricant. If it quiets up, R & R the belt.

fpmesiIII
10-19-07, 05:24 PM
yeah i was wondering if it was the belt. it seems to be name brand. NAPA belt. the mechanic says its not the belt because its new. i put a little water on it earlier today from reading previous posts. after i did it and started it up it still screeched. but i just went out now and started it up and there was no screech. i have noticed it sometimes chirp when taking a hard turn when its acting up.

should i spray the water when the engine is idling or off?

update: still squeeks even after water was sprayed on serpatine belt.

fpmesiIII
10-19-07, 05:59 PM
my car is probably the biggest lemon and i treat it like royalty dumping so much money into it. problem is it runs like brand new when its working properly which is intermittent. so its tough for me to give up. plus i dont have the money to purchase a new car. and that old saying "once you go cadillac you dont go back" is so true. tough to buy anything else. cadillac makes exciting cars. i could never see myself driving some jap mobile.

Ranger
10-19-07, 07:47 PM
should i spray the water when the engine is idling or off?

Idling for better distribution.

update: still squeeks even after water was sprayed on serpatine belt.
Perhaps it is a bearing.

that old saying "once you go cadillac you dont go back" is so true. tough to buy anything else. cadillac makes exciting cars. i could never see myself driving some jap mobile.
I hear you. Bought my first one 33 years ago. Haven't and won't drive anything else.

fpmesiIII
10-19-07, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the information, much help. I will suggest the pulley bearings next time I have it checked out. Probably wont be till Thanksgiving break the way things are going. Because I' am away at school and it is tough to get home.

fpmesiIII
10-20-07, 06:30 PM
well I did few WOTs on the way home last night and today It hasn't squeaked. Its weird the more your rough this car up the better it is.

Ranger
10-20-07, 08:23 PM
Remeber what the Guru used to say, "Drive it like you stole it".

fpmesiIII
11-02-07, 07:55 PM
well the squeak is back. i think whenever it gets below 50 degrees it starts happening. any ideas?

fpmesiIII
11-21-07, 04:27 PM
now mechanic says the alternator is bad!?!? and causing the squeaking. gonna cost $340 to fix. any suggestions?

Submariner409
11-21-07, 04:51 PM
FWIW, I had an '85 Mustang GT which was priced out and ordered by me in 3/85. The serpentine belt (and its replacement) never did stop squeaking when cold. Not in 75k +. Go figure. (and no matter how hard I drove it, it never threw a belt.)

fpmesiIII
01-31-08, 05:03 PM
another mechanic now said that it is a bad pulley bearing. is this worth the fix, sometimes this noise sounds like a barge train.

Ranger
01-31-08, 06:32 PM
A squeaky bearing is a dry bearing. It will only get worse and eventually fail at the most inopportune time. I'd fix it now.

fpmesiIII
02-03-08, 04:55 PM
anyone have any rough estimates on how much this job will cost?

BlackCaddy87
02-04-08, 10:41 AM
I JUST replaced my alternator and serpentine belt...$159 for both after tax with a lifetime warranty on the alternator. It's a pain to change though...especially in the winter.

fpmesiIII
05-28-08, 12:00 PM
the squeaky noise ended up being a bad alternator, not serpentine belt or tensioner haha

capnfred
05-31-08, 02:10 PM
I had the same issues with the belt, changed out the idler pully first, then the tensioner as my mechanic buddies said the "serpintine belts don't squeak". well after changing the pullys I changed the belt, now it does not squeak, not a hard job if the engine is cold, its a bitch when shes hot tho.....

Capn