: Crash Damage - Questions

natelabo
10-19-07, 02:44 PM
Was really excited supposed to be getting the V back today...Got a call from the body shop and the guy said they can't align my car... Supposedly the engine cradle is bent / tweaked / shifted? He said this is screwing up the suspension that is tied to it? Is this the engine mount? How bad is this... he acted like it was no big deal, and they would just have to swap it out? Does that sound right? I thought engine mounts / cradles were part of the unibody. Well anyways car is in the shop for another week until they get parts in :(

heavymetals
10-19-07, 02:46 PM
Engine sits on mounts.

Rear end is in a cradle.

WHYTRY
10-19-07, 02:50 PM
Is there a K member that can be dropped out like in Mustangs and F-bodies? If there is that is prob what they r talking about.

atdeneve
10-19-07, 04:27 PM
Both front and rear have cradles. The front cradle basically braces the suspension and the engine to the frame. Of course, like everything, it's a relatively simple swap, if you've got the right tools and look at it step by step. Mind you there will be quite a bit more steps than changing the oil, but it's still just a series of simple steps.

heavymetals
10-19-07, 04:48 PM
Engine sits on mounts.

Rear end is in a cradle.

I stand corrected.

Front seems a lot harder then the rear though, so I don't see it as simple, but I don't have a lift either.

CTSV_Rob
10-19-07, 04:53 PM
I have never taken out the front end but I would bet it's something similiar to the new camaro. I saw them drop the entire drivetrain from the bottom of the car with the front suspension still attached (HorsePower TV). It actually looked much easier then the engine swaps I have done from the top but a lift is a requirement.

benelliwang
10-19-07, 05:01 PM
I have never taken out the front end but I would bet it's something similiar to the new camaro. I saw them drop the entire drivetrain from the bottom of the car with the front suspension still attached (HorsePower TV). It actually looked much easier then the engine swaps I have done from the top but a lift is a requirement.

Yes, I've done about 6 or 7 of those now. My friend and I can drop the entire engine, tranny, front syspension from an f-body in 2.5 hours. I also dropped my Corvette drive train in 4.5 hours, front and back:
http://benelliwang.badassride.com/TT%20Swap/body_off.avi

As for the CTS, it should be same concept as the fbody.

natelabo
10-19-07, 05:02 PM
Sounds good... I just heard that my engine was affected some how and got a little scared. Another interesting note... The manager drove my car to the alignment shop and couldn't stop raving about how much he loved it... hmmm... i wondering how much he loved it and how fast he was going? :)

NormV
10-19-07, 05:07 PM
If the cradle is bent then the driveshaft to trans is not true. Good they are replacing the cradle. The lower control arms, steering rack, spindle, sway bar, and engine all attach the cradle which mounts to the unibody. Are if you can get a print out of alignment specs just for assurance. :)

Norm

z06bigbird
10-19-07, 11:32 PM
Was really excited supposed to be getting the V back today...Got a call from the body shop and the guy said they can't align my car... Supposedly the engine cradle is bent / tweaked / shifted? He said this is screwing up the suspension that is tied to it? Is this the engine mount? How bad is this... he acted like it was no big deal, and they would just have to swap it out? Does that sound right? I thought engine mounts / cradles were part of the unibody. Well anyways car is in the shop for another week until they get parts in :(

A good whack on a fender can easily damage an engine cradle. Very common occurrence.

Twitch
10-21-07, 05:57 PM
My mech. said the craddle is about $800 from the dealer.
Mt allignment is a bit off. I don't feel it or see it in the tires, so I'll leave it alone till I can get the dealer to change it.